Brass Monkey Alert

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's 4:30 PM at my house, and the temperature outside is -18 F. It has dropped 7 degrees in the past two hours. Normally, the low temp is reached around 5-6 AM, so we've got roughly 10 hours to go in this direction. If the trend stays linear, that works out to 3.5 degrees per hour, or 35 degrees lower by morning. Actually, that won't happen, but -30 F is possible. We're getting down into that territory where it doesn't matter which major temperature scale you use. There is no wind, so that's not wind-chill. We have around 3 feet of snow on the ground, fell in two dumps last week.

Just thought I'd share, for those of you experiencing record warmth along the east coast.

caw

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, well it was fricken hot in Arizona today. A record 75 or so, and I wore a sweater to work. Errrr...

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Saturday was so warm my son and I were barefoot in a sandbox. But that's over, the wind is whipping up and it's dropping to 20 tonight. Possible snow showers tomorrow afternoon.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. It's raining here in PA and 43 degrees. Almost summer like compared to your location.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Put two, no four, big logs on the fire and call us in the morning.
brrrr

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
We were in the 50s last week but going down to the 30s and 40s this week. The wind is hell here with snow showers coming. I can't complain, we haven't hit zero or below so far this winter. Normally, our weather moves to the east coast, so enjoy.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
We're 150 miles north of San Francisco, with a weather warning for a twenty degree drop on Thursday. The temp did get up to forty today, but if it dips below twenty we'll have to leave a tap dripping so the pipes don't freeze.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
JDCrayne said:
We're 150 miles north of San Francisco, with a weather warning for a twenty degree drop on Thursday. The temp did get up to forty today, but if it dips below twenty we'll have to leave a tap dripping so the pipes don't freeze.

Pipes? Pipes? Are those, like, the cylindrical things that carry molten ice?

Oh, by the way, I just checked. It's now -20 F.

And for you Canades, I said "molten ice", not "Molsen Ice". The latter might be the worst beer in the world.

caw

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had our minus 40 weather the second week of November.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having lived in a real cold place and a real hot place, I've got a definite preference for real cold. Neither extreme is much fun, but you can get a lot of reading, writing, and drinking done when it's cold. When it's hot, lethargy renders me unable to do anything but sweat, and even that wears me out.

Maryn, bringing you additional firewood

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
So? Are you still thawed?

Nights like that can raise the population significantly.

Give us just one little CAW to tell us you aren't a birdsicle.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
That was then. This is now. Besides, in Calgary, for God's sake, it's supposed to be 40 below. It's, like, in Canada.

caw

Yep. We're a hardy breed.

Actually Calgarians are spoiled, for Canadians. We usually only get a week or so of really cold weather, then a chinook blows in and raises the temperature to summer again. If we get more than a week of cold we start whining about what a long winter we're having. :D

Today: -12C now. +4 expected by mid-afternoon. -19 this evening. Blizzard warnings for tomorrow.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
blacbird said:
Pipes? Pipes? Are those, like, the cylindrical things that carry molten ice?

Oh, by the way, I just checked. It's now -20 F.

And for you Canades, I said "molten ice", not "Molsen Ice". The latter might be the worst beer in the world.

caw

Molson Ice is pisswater. I'll take a nice mug of Creemore Ale any day. The microbreweries are the only places that make decent beer in Canada. Molson and Labatts are swallowing up all the independent breweries and making what used to be great brew into more pisswater.

You don't have actual central heating? Then the pipes wouldn't freeze, unless it's one of those places that doesn't have a basement and the pipes are all exposed under the house.

We're usually around -20 but not this year. Not yet.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Guess it's safe to say the gold nugget hunting is out of the question for a few more weeks?

Getting colder here in the Ohio valley, 30+ today. 'Spose to be 65 on Fri., though.