Whoever told me about Veronica Mars...

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
thanks! Someone here recommended that series as an "if you liked Buffy, then..." thing, and it took me this long to get up to it on my Netflix queue, but I'm 8 episodes into it now and hooked.

I think it's fantastic that teenagers are getting such grittier shows and more mature portrayals than they did when I was in that demographic. I mean, we had fluffy stuff and stereotypical melodrama (90210), but I really think that TV-- and to a lesser extent, movies-- are doing a better job of not condescending in their treatment of teen characters. You think?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TV, in general I think, is doing more to at least superficially treat its viewers as more intelligent than in years past ("reality" TV and CW sitcoms notwithstanding). In years past your murder mysteries were Matlock & Murder She Wrote, now it's CSI and Law & Order. As you mentioned 90210 & 21 Jump Street are now replaced by Veronica Mars.

Now, of course, there are certainly still plenty of shows that get released which are a few steps beyond idiotic, but most of those tank nowadays. Which, btw, is also part of my theory behind why movie revenues have been on the decline in recent years. Because I really don't think that many mainstream films, aimed at teens or adults, take the time to treat their audience or subject matter with respect.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really glad you like it! I just squealed with glee the first time I saw it. Buffy really broke a lot of new ground when it came to teenage TV characters.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Except it's not true, Jenna.

People who miss Buffy say "If you loved Buffy, you love Veronica Mars" but that's just not true. It's more akin to the last man on earth being told "If you loved sex with a woman, you should try it with a blow-up woman."

In other words, you can't get Buffy anymore, and all that's out there that's similar in tone and texture is Veronica, but it's a poor, poor substitute.

The dialogue reeks of 30-somethings-trying-to-sound-"teen."

And that's the big difference. Sure, both series had spunky teen heroine leads... but Buffy had Whedon, and the lack of a great writer behind the series is what makes VM a "buffy-substitute" failure.

VM is fine. But to say "If you loved Buffy, you'll love VM" is absolutely not true.

I'm proof.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Far as I can tell, there will never be another Buffy, and I'm going to walk this earth a pale shell of a human, forever bemoaning the loss of the Greatest TV Series Ever on the Planet. But I still need entertainment, so I take the scraps I'm given. This is the most promising series I've seen since then. I don't agree that the dialogue is "trying" to sound teen... I actually like that there's less of the slangy expressions than they used in Buffy, which sometimes came across as cloying to me ("chocolatey goodness," "all fangy," etc.).

The other plus/minus thing is that so far, there are no characters at all who are getting on my nerves-- and there are almost ALWAYS characters who get on my nerves (even in Buffy/Angel-- Dawn, Buffy's mom, and Connor bugged me). OTOH, there are also no characters who I've completely fallen in love with.

Still, I know you're right that it doesn't work across the board. My husband was almost as obsessive about Buffy and Angel as I was, and he's not loving Veronica Mars at all. I think that's the lack of vampires, though.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yes! :D

But I'm still bummed that the Spike TV movie never came to pass. That was a hot rumor for a while.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
A lot of the girls I talk to (Middle School) like Hannah Montana.

Tweens still like those kinds of shows. Teens watch adult stuff.

YOU like Veronica Mars. That's all that counts. :)

I never got into Buffy. But I have seen every single episode of Charmed. More than once.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Charmed would have been a quintzillion times better if it'd been created for and shown on Showtime After Hours. Hot, sexy, bi-curious witches?

I'd buy a separate TIVO just for it.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
stereotypical melodrama (90210),

But but but butbutbutbut What do you MEAN 90210 was a melodrama!??!?!?!?!!

How can you CALL it THAT?!?!?!

*stomps out of thread*

:D

I miss the days when I could watch that without drawing the curtains first. :ROFL:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I liked the way Brandon fell deeply in love with a new woman each episode. But you had to know it was REALLY meaningful when the pyromaniac girl lasted-- what? at least 4 episodes, no?

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I liked the way Brandon fell deeply in love with a new woman each episode. But you had to know it was REALLY meaningful when the pyromaniac girl lasted-- what? at least 4 episodes, no?

:roll:

And how Brenda and Kelly took turns with Dylan.

Oh, it's 8:30! Kelly's turn!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
... My husband was almost as obsessive about Buffy and Angel as I was, and he's not loving Veronica Mars at all. I think that's the lack of vampires, though.

How's about you bite him in the neck while the show's on?

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
So as much as I'd hate to admit it, I was a die hard Buffy fan, and I don't hate to admit that I love me some Firefly. Are you guys saying that I should check out Veronica Mars, because I've never seen it. Besides Scrubs and basically anything on the Discovery and History channels, I don't like many show on right now, so I'm always looking for stuff to watch. Should I downloadobtain in a totally legal fashion so episodes?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
CBeasy said:
So as much as I'd hate to admit it, I was a die hard Buffy fan, and I don't hate to admit that I love me some Firefly. Are you guys saying that I should check out Veronica Mars, because I've never seen it. Besides Scrubs and basically anything on the Discovery and History channels, I don't like many show on right now, so I'm always looking for stuff to watch. Should I downloadobtain in a totally legal fashion so episodes?

your local video store should have season one and two on DVD for rental...

;)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Buffy is gone, and the world is a better place for it.

Though the musical episode was awesome.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Yes! :D

But I'm still bummed that the Spike TV movie never came to pass. That was a hot rumor for a while.

Well, Jenna, thank you! I finally feel like I have a home here at AW! A fellow Buffy/Angel fanatic is always a friend of mine! And here I thought I was the only one. A few years ago -- right after the series ended -- I watched every season on DVD. Let's just say that I was a bit obsessive, watching 4 episodes in a row. :) But the fact is, it was such a good series -- good writing, excellent actors -- that it somehow just sucked me in. Yes, it was about teens, but they were dealing with such big issues, and I think that's part of the reason it appealed to so many people. It did a nice job of mixing horror with drama. Angel, too...a spin-off I balked at watching but fell in love with it. It didn't hurt that David Boreanaz played Angel, though.

But what's this I hear of a Spike TV movie? He was my FAVORITE vamp!!! :D When he and Buffy finally got together...wow!!

OK, I'll stop now. Thanks for the memories, Jenna! :)

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
The first season of VM is amazing - the second season is far less so. Third season is middling so far :/

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I disliked the first episide, but I'm getting into it now.