The Descent

Status
Not open for further replies.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Strongly recommended.

This is one of the creepiest films that I have seen in a very long time.

Shut off the lights, sit back and enjoy this terrifying thrill ride.

This is a lean and mean fight for survival story- short and simple its a group of climbers in a cave with creatures trying to kill them.

Horror done right.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss this one.

Outlaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
tourdeforce said:
Strongly recommended.

This is one of the creepiest films that I have seen in a very long time.

Shut off the lights, sit back and enjoy this terrifying thrill ride.

This is a lean and mean fight for survival story- short and simple its a group of climbers in a cave with creatures trying to kill them.

Horror done right.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss this one.

I would argee with you on most of the movie being good, however I felt the end lacked any punch what-so-ever. I thought the baddies were clever, but not unique since you can read about the same ones in HG Wells, The Time Machine, only he had a name for them.

Overall, spooky, good build, but I thought the end fell flat.

Just my opinion though.:Shrug:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Outlaw said:
I would argee with you on most of the movie being good, however I felt the end lacked any punch what-so-ever. I thought the baddies were clever, but not unique since you can read about the same ones in HG Wells, The Time Machine, only he had a name for them.

Overall, spooky, good build, but I thought the end fell flat.

Just my opinion though.:Shrug:

Which ending? The real ending or the Americanized one?

Outlaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Jcomp said:
Which ending? The real ending or the Americanized one?

Not sure, but since I'm in America, I suppose it was the American version. It sucked. I'd say what happened but I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the American ending sucks. Hard.

I haven't seen the British (real) ending, but go to Wikipedia and look the movie up. You can read about there.

Apparently the marketing people thought that it was "too nihilistic" for American audiences, who like happiness first and ambiguity next and sadness not at all.

I must be British, because I would have much rather seen the original ending.

But, I saw it in theaters and absolutely loved it...until the last frame. I'm definitely getting the DVD if it has the real ending on it; that would make the film a true classic.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Have yet to see the movie but I know the book, not the basis for the movie; I think, was awesome. Jeff Long is a good writer.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
I agree with Outlaw, I loved the movie but the ending fell flat. The American ending. For some reason, the movie guys thinks that we want shiny, happy endings when that is just not the case. Or do we? Don't we all want someone to fight back and escape the carnage and/or killer?:Shrug:

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
not necessarily. Anyone know if the dvd will have the original ending? I haven't seen it yet, but I likes the down endings.

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Have yet to see the movie but I know the book, not the basis for the movie; I think, was awesome. Jeff Long is a good writer.

Agreed....though I was a bit dissappointed with the ending. He could have a three/four book series out of this if he hadn't ended it like he had. Kinda had me thinking about Journey to the Center of the Earth. Creepy, and cool.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Yup

jbal said:
not necessarily. Anyone know if the dvd will have the original ending? I haven't seen it yet, but I likes the down endings.

The DVD has the original ending.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
"Don't we all want someone to fight back and escape the carnage and/or killer?"

I always do. You know the strange thing is? The trailers for these movies effect me more than the actual movies. Case in point: The Hills Have Eyes. I watched the trailer and the thought that stuck with me for hours was: "Those poor poor people."

When I actually watched the movie, I was laughing at the hillarious ways the main charicter kills the mutants. Huh. I suppose it's all in the editing.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I too was disappointed in the movie's ending. I liked a lot about it, but...couldn't understand most of the English actors. I'm sure it's just me and that's why I make it a practice never to rent movies filmed across the pond. What happened at the end in the British version?

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
We watched this DVD yesterday. The end flat out sucked. And there were "problems" with it if you know anything about real "caving". I was sitting there thinking, 'well that's bullshit, it wouldn't be like that'... Also, it took too long to get started, I sat here bored shitless for the first 30-40 minutes.

All that aside, it eventually got going and had some good moments. I liked The Cave better.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it. I thought it was pretty good, but yeah, the ending sucked hard.

(small spoiler)

I think it would have been cool had the scene where she made it to the Ford Bronco not been a dream sequence. I would have put her cruising down the road frantically trying to dial 911 on a cell/satellite phone. And just as she's comin' round the corner alongside the edge of a cliff, one of those white monsters pops up from the backseat and cuts her throat open, thereby sending them through a guardrail and flipping down a cliff.

Big explosion. Fade to black. Roll credits. :D

Oh, c'mon! It's better than the ending we were given.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:

The film wasn't based on that book.... different story entirely....

nandu

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would have been cool had the scene where she made it to the Ford Bronco not been a dream sequence. I would have put her cruising down the road frantically trying to dial 911 on a cell/satellite phone. And just as she's comin' round the corner alongside the edge of a cliff, one of those white monsters pops up from the backseat and cuts her throat open, thereby sending them through a guardrail and flipping down a cliff.

Big explosion. Fade to black. Roll credits. :D

Oh, c'mon! It's better than the ending we were given.

I saw the DVD yesterday, and this was what I was expecting would happen: I had forgotten this was a British movie, and the American horror flicks are damn predictable;) . But I was pleasantly surprised. The ending, with its mood of quiet despair, was much, much better than the one suggested above.

Nandu.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
I was working on a 'people-stuck-in-a-cave-by-a-quake-and-the-only-way-out-is-down' script.

Then two (two!) of them came out last year.

Bastards.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I only saw the British ending, didn't even know they had a US one. I really liked the movie, though it wasn't the scariest thing I'd seen by a long way. So many horrors are crap these days, though, it really stands out.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I must've rented the Director's Cut, because I only saw the "British Ending." I loved this film, mostly because of the ending. Maybe I should watch more British horror films? :)

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The film wasn't based on that book.... different story entirely....

I had read that book (The Descent by Jeff Long) and knowing the storyline from the movie (before seeing it) I kept wondering how they had got from that plot to this plot so when I finally saw the movie I was so angry that they had very loosely borrowed the general concept of the demonic things living in the bowels of the earth and used the same title and made something completely different that I closed my mind off to any merits the movie might have had on its own. I also couldn't get past all the superbabes with british accents.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I too was disappointed in the movie's ending. I liked a lot about it, but...couldn't understand most of the English actors. I'm sure it's just me and that's why I make it a practice never to rent movies filmed across the pond. What happened at the end in the British version?

I remember a British film from a few years back that was subtitled for the US market - it was about a bunch of Geordies (Newcastle folk) who have a very recognisable accent and unusual dialect.

The BBC subtitled a documentary about Scottish fishermen a few years back due to the accents and dialect. Even people with the UK can't understand people from different regions sometimes!:)

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I remember a British film from a few years back that was subtitled for the US market. Even people with the UK can't understand people from different regions sometimes!:)

I frequently will put the closed captions on when watching a movie with British actors, even Harry Potter! I'm from the American midwest by way of Appallachian heritage...bet some Brits wouldn't understand a word I say either!

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I frequently will put the closed captions on when watching a movie with British actors, even Harry Potter! I'm from the American midwest by way of Appallachian heritage...bet some Brits wouldn't understand a word I say either!

I have noticed a lot of British actors in US shows, but they tend to speak with a neutral accent... Or a US one (I think one of the leads in the new Battlestar Galactica is actually British.)

Never had a problem with understanding US actors in movies or TV... The main problem is understanding the different words.

I remember visiting the US when I was a kid and giggling madly when someone referred to a someone's fanny!

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I was just reading through the story line on part two, De2cent. It sounds like it might top the first. http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/11545

Status
Not open for further replies.