What do taxidermists do with the extra stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
When one takes a dead beast to a taxidermist, what happens to the innards? Does a taxidermist have reason to have access to an incinerator?

Thanks for reading.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what they're suppose to do is send it on to the rendering plants the Humane Society et al use. What happens more often than not involves a black Hefty bag and the nearest trash bin.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What I need for my story is someone in a small Western town to have an incinerator. I'll keep brainstorming.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rural schools used to have incinerators. And hospitals.

By the way, people used to have their own small incinerators, a 55 gallon drum with a screen to go across the top.

Last edited:

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I suppose a rancher might have a small incinerator then. Perhaps a bootleg taxidermist/rancher who is always forgetting where he left his dentures would have an incinerator....

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask what you want to burn?

Old tires and kerosene make a dandy bonfires (even if a bit illegal).

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI-an incenerator isn't going to completely burn bone, you'd need a crematorium's burner for that - much hotter than rendering plants use. Bone chips are used in . . . well nevermind. But rendering planet incenerators and the average Joe's burner ain't gonna disperse all that fancy evidence :D

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Placentas, actually. My MC has a problem when her freezer full of placentas breaks in the middle of July in the desert southwest. Her POS car is not working well enough to transport them to the Big City for proper disposal. Hilarity ensues.

So, no bones.

She can't bury them (I think roving animals would dig them up, don't you?). She needs a local way to dispose of them...preferably legal, but she's not really that picky at this point, what with the odor and all.

I know who to ask when I need to dispose of a body, though! : )

Thanks again!!!!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Placentas . . . Yum :D

Well black Hefty bags and the local dumpster will attract crows, but a burn barrel in the back 40 should work just fine.

ETA: sometimes I disgust myself.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
A burn barrel in the back 40 may attract the rednecks. Where's the beef? I've brought my Tobasco!

Roasted placentas...I disgust myself, too.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There always the handy garbage disposal for something like that. Might take a while, but then anyone who has time to collect a freezer full of placentas probably has some time on his hands.

By the way, I would just bury them, then put some rocks on top and/or sprinkle some hot pepper around the area.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Extra

With luck, with animals, there isn't much extra stuff. People very rarely bring in a whole animal, unless it's tiny. As a taxidermist, what you usually get is the skin. With fish, you get it all, minus the guts.

But what you do with any remains is solely dtermined by the law where you live. In many places you just throw it away.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
An older home I lived in for a while in Wyoming had an incinerator in the back yard facing the alley, left from back when homeowners there burnt their own garbage. Rural properties there still use the 55 gallon drums to burn. That's how we took care of the garbage at my Dad's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.