Following Up With An Agent

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
In mid-November I received a request for a partial from an agent with an "up to a month" response time. I made the Newbie mistake of sending it off without Delivery Confirmation. :eek: I haven't made that error since, thank goodness.

Is there a polite way to check and make sure the partial arrived? This agency and agent seem to have a reputation of replying fairly promptly.

I don't want to push but I'd like to know that it A) arrived and B) a response wasn't lost on the way here. Sadly, the postal service in my neck of the woods experiences the occassional hiccup.

Any help on this would really be appreciated. Thanks!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd be ok status checking it in a couple of weeks...two months is a pretty good time with a partial.

Was it an e-query? Just write them and say you wanted to make sure they received your submission and to contact you with any questions. :D

Rhonda

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Thanks Rhonda!

It was snail mail, and the only email I've been able to find for the agent is a general info email for the agency at large that all e-queries go through.

I should add that part of the reason I'd like to know the status is that I've sent out two fulls to other agencies since sending this partial, and while I'd be thrilled to have either of those two agents, this third one is BIG. I'd like to know if there is even a chance with her, should I receive an offer from someone else and need to make a decision. Wouldn't that be a great dilemna?

One of the agents mentioned that she would respond within a week of getting the full (how nice is that?). I sent it out on Saturday.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ali, I think most agencies response time is 6-12 wks. Pretty much the norm, that I am finding out.

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
Alla--
The standard advice would be to be a little patient. While the calendar says you're closing in on eight weeks, it's really more like 5-6 because of the holidays.
But I think the other two agents' requests for fulls--in addition to Big Agent's request for partial--provide sufficient evidence that you've got something of a hot commodity.
I'd play it cool with everyone at least into next week. If, in that time, one of theagents with the full offers representation, you can stall a bit, ask all the questions you'd want to ask anyway before signing on the dotted line, etc. Then you can call the agent that has the partial and gently light the fire with something to the effect of, "I don't mean to rush you, but I have received an offer for representation, and I didn't want to make a hasty decision. I really think we could be a good match."

As agent dilemmas go, this is the kind to have! Congratulations. Clearly, you have something of interest or you'd not have received anything approaching the response you have. good luck!

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Thanks everyone! :) I really appreciate it.

I'll wait on it then. KCH--thanks for the kind words. I like your plan--here's hoping it's one I get the chance to put into action :D

If anyone else would like to chime in, that would be great. But it sounds as if patience is what's in order here. It's always been one of my weaker virtues, but this submission business is certainly giving it a work out.