Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
When I started querying agents seriously last February, the first to respond and ask for a partial was a new agent at a very respected agency. She did read the whole thing, but passed. On my next project, I queried her again, and she again requested a partial -- but passed after the partial. Then I queried (on a different book) another agent at the same agency, who requested partial and full before passing.

On my next book, they passed after the query...but when I started getting a fair amount of interest in that book, I e-mailed them and asked if they wanted another look. They were very nice about it all, but closed the door completely. Sigh. It's good on the one hand, because I *know* they're not the agency for me...but it's hard to hear 'I'm sorry, but although we like your style, your voice doesn't fit with our agency.'

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Welcome to my world...seriously though, keep hammering away at it, perhaps making revisions to try out. I try to keep two submissions in play at all times, so that each rejection is not the final word. Best of luck with your manuscript!

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
((hugs)) it's so rough trying to find an agent. That's what I'm doing right now! Hang in there...

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
If it helps to hear, I queried 70 agents on this novel alone before I got an offer. My total number of rejections for all the novels I've written probably runs around 200 (just a guess).

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, hang in there and try more, :Hug2: don't give up!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
You can always console yourself with the fact that at least they asked to see your manuscript. I haven't even got that far yet. Keep trying though. There has to be a magic formula out there.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
janetbellinger said:
There has to be a magic formula out there.

You don't need a magic formula. I think there's only one of those and J.K. Rowland has it and she's not sharing it until after she retires. ;-)

What you do need is to keep plugging away, learning and improving as you go. In this business showing up and putting in the leg work is 90% of the battle. The other 10% or so it talent. If you have that an keeping putting in the work you will get published.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words...I'm working on another ms right now, though I won't send it to that agency ;) Fortunately I have a few other queries and one full out right now (the full is out with an editor and an agent, so I'm trying hard not to think about it -- and failing, I might add!) ;)

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
some people believe that if you want a thing badly enough, it will happen. I think talent, perseverance, hard work and just plain luck also come into play. Good luck to you.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Please do hang in there. If you're getting requests for partials and fulls there is much room for hope (I have another responce on the other thread here that might make you laugh and cheer you up!)

farfromfearless

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farfromfearless.com
At least you're at the querying stage - I'm still in my first draft of my novel (well technically second) but you're well ahead of the game than most here. Keep sending in those requests, eventually someone will bite and when they do I think you will be very glad you persisted as much.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I've been following your story, Maprilynne -- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :D

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help but...

Whenever I get a rejection, I remind myself that I don't like everything on the shelves at B&N. Heck, I don't even like half the stuff in the sections where I pick most of my pleasure reading. So it shouldn't surprise or bother me that not everyone is going to like everything I write. Then I file it and get back to work.

Hang in there, and keep querying. Getting requests for partials and fulls means you're on your way. :)

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again! I'd so love to have good news to post...but at least when there's not-so-good news, everyone is so understanding and supportive :D

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up. If your work is good, it'll only be a matter of time before it finds a home. Keep sending those query letters out and we'll keep the champagne chilled until you give us good news. :D

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's YA...are there even 70 YA agents out there? I've found about 30...and yeah, I've pretty much hit them all...I did receive another request for a full today (woo-hoo) ;)

Tia Nevitt

Anywhere but here, anywhen but now
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tianevitt.com
You seem incredibly prolific. Am I correct in counting not one, not two, not three but FOUR books that you have pitched in the PAST YEAR?

If I have not misread, at this rate, you are certain to succeed eventually!!

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Um...actually I've written and pitched six books in the past year -- and I wrote a sequel to the current one being reviewed during Nano (I'm working on revising it now). I'm assuming my pace will slow considerably *when* I sell something and have to really work on revisions and such.

And although writing a lot does help, mostly it's the learning that each novel produces that's bringing me ever closer, imo :)

ETA: These are YA, btw -- so we're not talking six 100+K books; they're all around 50K...so more like three adult novels ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.