Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking, or what the title, first, and second third sentence have to do with one another.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I've used Dragon Speak. I should have bought the more expensive version but . . .

Buy the most expensive version you can. You have to train it to recognize your voice and the way you speak. If you take time to do that, the program works well.

I'm not sure what speed my computer has but I can't see that speed would affect the way the program works.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hi, Traveler. Um.....233 MHZ!?

Here's what Dragon NaturallySpeaking requires:

• Intel® Pentium® / 1 GHz processor (for example, Pentium® M, Pentium® 4), or equivalent AMD® processor - Faster processors will yield faster performance
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 1 GB free hard disk space
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP1 or higher) Home and Professional, 2000 (SP4 or higher)
  • Creative® Labs Sound Blaster® 16 or equivalent sound card supporting 16-bit recording
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5 or higher (free download available at www.microsoft.com)
  • CD-ROM drive (required for installation)
  • Nuance-approved noise-canceling headset microphone (included)
  • Speakers (required for playback of recorded speech and text to speech features)
  • A web connection is required for activation
  • For Bluetooth wireless microphone support, please visit http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/

At this point, 233 MHZ is going to be hard pressed to run quite a lot of things. Too many things dual-run on RAM these days, a 233 just can't handle it. I think it would just kill your laptop. Sorry... :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Carmy said:
I'm not sure what speed my computer has but I can't see that speed would affect the way the program works.
It does. Promise.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I believe you PeeDee.

My DragonSpeak works on Windows 98.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I suspect it can scale a bit below their 1 GHz requirement, but I would be really hesitant in the 233 Mhz range. I would very, very strongly suggest you find a demo of the program (if there is one; I couldn't immediately spot on) and see what it does. It's not a processor heavy program, but it IS a processor program, and that's my hesitation.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, its a program. Ok.

I feel smart now.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I'm disappointed. I thought this was going to be about speaking the language dragons speak.

I don't like speech recognition software...or should I say speech recognition software doesn't like Southern accents.

Anonymous Traveler

His servent for life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
prairiewords.wordpress.com
PeeDee said:
I would be really hesitant in the 233 Mhz range.

Thanks. The laptop was surplus being occasionaly used for radio teletype. My main machine is a 1.8 GHz but I wanted to keep the laptop at bedside to dictate to. (And to drive wife crazy with 3am thoughts)
Plan B is a USB based flash dictating 'thingy' that can be 'read' by the Dragon.

FWIW I still run 2 486's and a 200MHz Novell 4.2 Server.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I get the feeling Anonymous Traveler is someone we'd recognize if he mentioned his name. o.o

Can I have your autograph, AT? Just to be safe?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Do you know, I really will. They're wonderful, all stacked on my desk. I mean the chocolates, not the autographs. But hurry, supplies are deminishing rapidly! Again, of course, the chocolates.

(what a strangely cryptic message, Bart. I'm envious. I've always wanted to shout out "Someone here is NOT what who they claim to be!" to a hushed room full of potential murder suspects.)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Anonymous Traveler said:
For $5 PeeDee will sell you one, and some chocolate.

...oh HO!

Hmm. Crafty, you. Post your cell phone number. ;)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Don't listen to him. He just wants another restraining order served so's he can finish his wallpaper.

I am heartily tempted to try Dragon NaturallySpeaking, because it's come up a number of times around the board and caught my interest each time. It's been a lot of years since I used a voice recognition software, I bet it's improved since the last time.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Don't listen to him. He just wants another restraining order served so's he can finish his wallpaper.

Well, the east wing is coated with parking tickets, but that got kind of redundant...

Anonymous Traveler

His servent for life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
prairiewords.wordpress.com
Bartholomew said:
Post your cell phone number. ;)

Write it down,in your book, On your wall, In your room,in your bed,Keep it in your head, just call PENNSYLVANIA 6-5000, but thats an old number

or 311, the operator answers but she has no information. Please insert $5

I employ the voice recognition system Ver 1.00, my wife calling!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
..........er. DIdn't quite get that one, I'm afraid.

RedandGold

Registered
Reaction score
I hpe that I am not jumping into this to late.

I have just started using "Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 (Preferred Edition) (PC)", and I have to say WOW it is good!

I have tried various systems in the past but ultimately given up after many frustrating hours. I would train the system on at least two pieces training reading. then I would just read a couple of pages of a book into the sytem (i did this so that it would be easy to check if the sytem recognised my voice correctly), correct them and then try the same pages again. Most of the time I was stuck on getting the system to accuratly recognise something I was reading I never got as far as dictating my thoughts.

But this new version of Dragon - WOW. I have done just one very short traingin session (reading from Alice through the looking glass - she followed the rabbit and fell doewn the hole, we didn't even get to her finifhing falling down the hole - this is very short sesion by the standards of these systems)

I then tried a couple of pages from a book - and it was recognised with very high accuracy, easily high enough that it was easy to see what was meant to have been said, I would say that in two pages it made perhaps five or six mistakes.

I am still in shock - this is exactly the sort of performance that I need!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I use v8, Preferred, as I too struggle with typing. It's fantastic compared with earlier versions. Don't bother getting a special sound-card to run it with: instead, you need a Sennheiser headset and a USB sound pod. Once I upgraded to that new hardware, it made a huge difference. And incidentally, with v8 there was not much training to do compared to earlier versions. For full details, search for the KnowBrainer forums which I can't find a link to! That's where you'll be able to get full details on the best headsets, computers, and training. Very useful.

Edited to add a link to the forum:

http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm

Last edited:

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
I use Dragon all the time in my job to help the disabled. It is a great program but you need to have an accent free and slur free voice to really get the most out of it and it takes training, both you and it. You wont just sit down and master it overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.