Synposis

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, question, if the agency guidelines says they want a query letter, and that we may submit five sample pages and a one page synopsis if we have one -

Does it matter if the synposis is 1 1/2 pages 1.5spaced? It's one heck of a big book to put into 1 page, although the query letter is one page, with the whole hook fitting in quite neatly (I think anyway ;) ) So...Opinions, answers, advice, all muchly needed! (PS. *pretend whispers* I know muchly isn't a word)

Thanks,

Annwyn

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Annwyn I will strongly suggest you revisit your synopsis to shorten it. I will venture to guess it can be done. You do not have to include every subplot.
As Julie says the synopsis is single spaced.
I found the less information I gave agents the more requests I got for fulls and that really is the goal.
JMHO

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth: The synopsis is usually single spaced, not 1.5.

I read somewhere that a one-page synopsis is single-spaced but if it is a longer one (some request a detailed synopsis and don't ask for just a single page), it should be double-spaced like a manuscript. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
jodiodi said:
I read somewhere that a one-page synopsis is single-spaced but if it is a longer one (some request a detailed synopsis and don't ask for just a single page), it should be double-spaced like a manuscript. Am I correct?

Thanks.

When an agent asks for a "detailed synopsis," I send it out double spaced. That makes it look longer. And ORION is right, the more you tell them, the more likely you'll be rejected, so if they don't ask for something, don't send it.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
jodiodi said:

Thanks.

Since a synopsis isn't edited I cannot see a reason for double spacing. But if the editor/agent requests it then follow the guidelines but as a rule I would think not.

Annwyn, my synopsis was six pages and I couldn't imagine how to get down to the two pages requested in a publisher's guidelines. Don't think of what is important to you but of what is interesting to them. My synopsis is only one page now.

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Right, okay, so single spaced, one page synopsis, think of what they want to know...About tone, do you have tone in a synposis? Mine does...It's kinda like my query...or should it just be, then this happened, and then this happened and then... :S

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Annwyn said:
Right, okay, so single spaced, one page synopsis, think of what they want to know...About tone, do you have tone in a synposis? Mine does...It's kinda like my query...or should it just be, then this happened, and then this happened and then... :S

There will be judgment on everything you send out. Everyone wants something different, but by no means be boring.

I don't think you should put too much flair into the synopsis but don't make it as plain as the query.

What you have, even if you send it all in the same package. First a query to tickle them into wanting to read more. It also intros you. But it is still a business letter.

Then the synopsis tells them the story. You cannot get in a lot of show, so easy on the adjectives, but if you can't get their interest with the synopsis then they aren't going to have much hope for your manuscript. I think talent may show more in a synopsis than the MS because you have to be really creative to tell an interesting story in one or two pages. It is not to impress them with your style. That is what the partial or full is for. It is to deliver to them the seeds of an interesting idea for a marketable story, from start to finish, no surprises.

Last, they get to meet the writer in the MS.

But then, I'm still trying to get it right too.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Even though the guidelines say to send a detailed synopsis many agents never read them. Mine doesn't. Ultimately you do what you want but I would really encourage you to make your synopsis a slightly expanded "back flap" copy. This is to entice the agent to read your book -- to ask for the full. Trust me if your first 5 pages are crappy it won't matter how good your synopsis is.
I notice agents who handle fantasy often ask for detailed chapter by chapter synopsis. I can't imagine why--maybe for some of the other editors who don't want to bother reading it. I am commercial fiction and my agent and editors all were satisfied with my one paragraph synopsis. Much of my sub plots were left out totally. I had to be OK with that.
This is just totally my opinion from my own experience.

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out a one-page single-spaced synopsis to agents who requested one. (I never ran across an agent who wanted "at least 5 pages" or whatever. I figured shorter was better.)

Yes, it's good to reflect the tone of your story in your synopsis. Mine was basically an extended version of my query and included the resolution. Sounds like you're on the right path.

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, my synopsis is really an extended version of my query with tone, etc. So I just need to take off the double spacing and it might squeeze onto one page...hopefully...:)