AW Sailors?

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
My passion for sailing and the sea is why I began writing for public consumption. I'm now abandoning the cushy quicksand that is an office life for a full-time effort at making a living writing about what I love; travel, water sports, and most importantly sailing.

I've been writing predominantly for a few websites, but I'm looking to pitch my first print magazine in a few weeks after I'm sure I can get the interviews I need.

I hope that any AW'ers who are sailors or sailing writers/journalists will identify themselves in this thread.

-Clean Slate a/k/a Mr. Clean

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Maine is a spectacular place in the arena you are looking for. If you have not been I would think about making a trip in the mid-June time span. Within a relatively short distance there is a "lakes region" and one of the most unique coastlines in the known universe. There is always a lot to learn from the locals. Just don't ask how to get from "here to there".

I have not been on the water for quite some time but I am passionate about the water activities. I miss the ocean. . .

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Mr. Clean.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a sticky in this forum which lists a few markets that might interest you. Some of these pay top dollar. (Please feel free to add to the list.)

When you start fishing from your sailboat, look me up and we'll talk some more.;)

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Silver King said:
Hello, Mr. Clean.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a sticky in this forum which lists a few markets that might interest you. Some of these pay top dollar. (Please feel free to add to the list.)

When you start fishing from your sailboat, look me up and we'll talk some more.;)
Thanks King. I'll add some of the sailing markets to the thread. As for fishing, you'll be happy to know that I was a sport and commercial fisherman long before I started crossing oceans in sailboats. Also, I've learned the most productive fishing in the world is from the back of a sailboat on a multi-day trip. You can't target species like you would from a nice sportfisher, but 6 or 7 days at 4-8 knots means you sure do pass a lot of fish.

Toss a couple of handlines off the back, throw some teasers out behind them, and pull in as many mahi, tuna, albies, wahoo, shark, and whatever else you want. I've generally had to stop fishing long before any of these trips ended - once the freezer's full it just gets too distracting...

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks eraser. Do you think any of the fishing glossies would buy a story about catching big oceanic species off the back of a sailboat? It's certainly not the usual fare, but I could easily write 2500 words about it.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I do indeed think that could be a winner, especially if you have some good pics to go along with the article.

I'd make a list of your top few markets and start querying from the top down. While waiting, start working on the piece. Chances are, without a print background, they'll ask to see it on spec. You won't want to keep them waiting too long if you get a bite.

By the way, the same piece, or one tweaked a little, would probably also be of interest to sailing mags. Make sure you only sell 1st NA rights.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Clean Slate

Registered
Reaction score
Great info, eraser. I will certainly keep you posted, and most likely will post it for critique when I'm done. I've got a solid week's worth of reporting to do for Key West Race Week starting on Monday, then I think I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a ton.

-Clean