PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure

AllyWoof
01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I can't really find an appropriette place for my question, but I'd like to know if when writing a fanfiction novel it is alright to use a real place as a characters residence. Also, can I talk about controversial things ie rape, abortion.

Birol
01-07-2007, 09:10 PM
The thing about fanfic is, you can never publish it, so does it really matter what you do? (Unless there are conventions within the fanfic culture that I know nothing about.)

AllyWoof
01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Birol. And I hope I put my question in the proper area.

Maryn
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Be aware that while you can't sell your fanfic, lots of people here who publish their fiction started with fanfic. It's a fun way to teach yourself writing.

Maryn, who wrote fanfic

AllyWoof
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Be aware that while you can't sell your fanfic, lots of people here who publish their fiction started with fanfic. It's a fun way to teach yourself writing.

Maryn, who wrote fanfic You mean doing this might help me press on with my regular novels?

Tallymark
01-07-2007, 10:49 PM
In fanfic, you can write anything under the sun. It's not getting published, so there's no rules (it doesn't even have to be good. Preferably it will be, of course, but, there you go). Certain things may be liked more or less by various readers, but you can still do anything you want. And rape happens all the times in fics (along with every other kind of violence, and every other kind of sexual encounter).

While fics can never be published, and while I'd probably be better off doing writing exercises on original ideas, sometimes, when the ideas just won't come, and I'm sick and drained and want to tear my stories to shreds, writing a fanfiction is a wonderful release. It's fun. And any kind of writing is still better than no writing--you're still developing yourself as a writer. Just don't get so sidetracked by fanfics that you never get around to writing that novel (which is my problem right now XD ).

And hey, y'never know, if you're a really good fanfic writer and build up a fanbase, you've got a small audience already waiting to buy your book when it does come out. :) (seriously, it happens sometimes. but not all that often, so don't think you'll build your career on it. But there's plenty of great writers who started with fanfics).

engmajor2005
01-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Go to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of your local big box bookstore. See all those Star Trek and Star Wars titles? See those Halo novels?

Now, tell me that fanfic never gets published. ;)

A better thing to say is that fanfic never gets published by rookies and wannabes.

veinglory
01-07-2007, 11:27 PM
In temrrs of the question, you can write anything at all. So is your concern one of reader appeal? Legalities? (As mentioned fic that infringes copyright makes this something of a moot point).

Maryn
01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Go to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of your local big box bookstore. See all those Star Trek and Star Wars titles? See those Halo novels?

Now, tell me that fanfic never gets published. ;)

A better thing to say is that fanfic never gets published by rookies and wannabes.Good point--but they didn't write 'em on spec.

Maryn, whose kid ate up Star Wars novels at one point

engmajor2005
01-08-2007, 01:28 AM
True, but as I've often said:

When I write a novel where Luke Skywalker is the main character, it's fanfic. When R. A. Salvatore writes a commissioned novel where the main character is Luke Skywalker, it's literature.

What's the difference between those two sentences? The words "commissioned" and "literature." It's all the same to me.

And I devoured the Star Wars paperbacks in middle and high school, and many of them were genuinely good books.

engmajor2005
01-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh, and the names of the authors. Those are different.

johnzakour
01-08-2007, 02:14 AM
I can't really find an appropriette place for my question, but I'd like to know if when writing a fanfiction novel it is alright to use a real place as a characters residence. Also, can I talk about controversial things ie rape, abortion.

You can do it. It's good practice.

AllyWoof
01-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the vote of comfidence. After what I have done, I don't have any left for myself.

Birol
01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
What did you do that you used up all of your confidence???

AllyWoof
01-08-2007, 02:23 AM
I think I better just shut up.

Birol
01-08-2007, 02:30 AM
:Hug2:

If you mean what I think you mean, you're just being silly. Get out there and get them.

AllyWoof
01-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Who is being silly? I'd like to appologize to Kevin is what I'd like to do, but I can forget that. He hates me now I think.

PeeDee
01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
In my experience, the number of people Kevin hates is rather small, and is mostly limited to the man who won't give him another beer. :)

AllyWoof
01-08-2007, 06:14 PM
You're certainly write on that account.

AllyWoof
01-09-2007, 02:04 AM
I am going to puke.

AllyWoof
01-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Right now I just want to locate my friend Scott.

AllyWoof
01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I dare you to drop the issue prontoe.

aadams73
01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Writerdog, I recommend you cultivate a healthy sense of humor. There's a lot of laughs going on around this place and it would a shame if you don't join in.

AllyWoof
01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Find my friend Scott and I will.

Birol
01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Writerdog, the others are playing and having fun. If their exchanges are bothering you, I suggest you avoid threads where people are joshing with one another like this.

Birol
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I lost track of where we were. I split the OT posts and move them to OP. You silly ones can figure out what I titled the thread. ;)

aadams73
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Find my friend Scott and I will.

Who the heck is Scott? Never heard of him.

*scratches head* Why exactly should I find him?

aadams73
01-09-2007, 09:25 PM

I wonder WEHT that woman who was trying to sell her Star Wars fanfic on Amazon?

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007459.html

Maryn
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I dunno, but I have a silly little story I tell often. I'm the only person I know who's had my copyright overtly violated. I spoke to an attorney about it and she convinced me it was not worth pursuing.

I shared a fanfic short story with about ten online acquaintances who enjoyed the same thing. One was a thief who offered it briefly on an AOL fan board, before they deleted her message. How ironic, that my fanfic was good enough to be stolen and sold, $7 for a photocopy (swindling me out of a hefty $35), when I didn't have the rights to the characters and never would have attempted sale or publication.

Maryn, kind of sort of honest

benbradley
01-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Find my friend Scott and I will. Who the heck is Scott? Never heard of him.

*scratches head* Why exactly should I find him?
This thread explains that post and who Scott is:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1037585

AllyWoof
01-10-2007, 12:51 AM
It's okay. I found him. I can laugh again.

PeeDee
01-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Good, glad to hear it.

We're having an interesting (and lengthy) discussion about the nature and validity of fanfiction over in the short story forums, if anyone feels like reading further on the subject. A lot of what I would ahve said here, I have previously said there.

AllyWoof
01-10-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm on my way.

Little Red Barn
01-10-2007, 04:58 AM
I'm on my way.
Alycia, sweetie try to stick to the original thread that you post, otherwise it becomes confusing for all! And if you post too many it confuses all as well as yourself. Need any help hollar!
Very happy you found Scott and he is ok.
:Hug2: