Not Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really find an appropriette place for my question, but I'd like to know if when writing a fanfiction novel it is alright to use a real place as a characters residence. Also, can I talk about controversial things ie rape, abortion.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about fanfic is, you can never publish it, so does it really matter what you do? (Unless there are conventions within the fanfic culture that I know nothing about.)

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Birol. And I hope I put my question in the proper area.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that while you can't sell your fanfic, lots of people here who publish their fiction started with fanfic. It's a fun way to teach yourself writing.

Maryn, who wrote fanfic

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Be aware that while you can't sell your fanfic, lots of people here who publish their fiction started with fanfic. It's a fun way to teach yourself writing.

Maryn, who wrote fanfic
You mean doing this might help me press on with my regular novels?

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
In fanfic, you can write anything under the sun. It's not getting published, so there's no rules (it doesn't even have to be good. Preferably it will be, of course, but, there you go). Certain things may be liked more or less by various readers, but you can still do anything you want. And rape happens all the times in fics (along with every other kind of violence, and every other kind of sexual encounter).

While fics can never be published, and while I'd probably be better off doing writing exercises on original ideas, sometimes, when the ideas just won't come, and I'm sick and drained and want to tear my stories to shreds, writing a fanfiction is a wonderful release. It's fun. And any kind of writing is still better than no writing--you're still developing yourself as a writer. Just don't get so sidetracked by fanfics that you never get around to writing that novel (which is my problem right now XD ).

And hey, y'never know, if you're a really good fanfic writer and build up a fanbase, you've got a small audience already waiting to buy your book when it does come out. :) (seriously, it happens sometimes. but not all that often, so don't think you'll build your career on it. But there's plenty of great writers who started with fanfics).

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Go to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of your local big box bookstore. See all those Star Trek and Star Wars titles? See those Halo novels?

Now, tell me that fanfic never gets published. ;)

A better thing to say is that fanfic never gets published by rookies and wannabes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In temrrs of the question, you can write anything at all. So is your concern one of reader appeal? Legalities? (As mentioned fic that infringes copyright makes this something of a moot point).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
engmajor2005 said:
Go to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section of your local big box bookstore. See all those Star Trek and Star Wars titles? See those Halo novels?

Now, tell me that fanfic never gets published. ;)

A better thing to say is that fanfic never gets published by rookies and wannabes.
Good point--but they didn't write 'em on spec.

Maryn, whose kid ate up Star Wars novels at one point

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
True, but as I've often said:

When I write a novel where Luke Skywalker is the main character, it's fanfic. When R. A. Salvatore writes a commissioned novel where the main character is Luke Skywalker, it's literature.

What's the difference between those two sentences? The words "commissioned" and "literature." It's all the same to me.

And I devoured the Star Wars paperbacks in middle and high school, and many of them were genuinely good books.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
writerdog said:
I can't really find an appropriette place for my question, but I'd like to know if when writing a fanfiction novel it is alright to use a real place as a characters residence. Also, can I talk about controversial things ie rape, abortion.

You can do it. It's good practice.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of comfidence. After what I have done, I don't have any left for myself.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I think I better just shut up.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Who is being silly? I'd like to appologize to Kevin is what I'd like to do, but I can forget that. He hates me now I think.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
In my experience, the number of people Kevin hates is rather small, and is mostly limited to the man who won't give him another beer. :)

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
You're certainly write on that account.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I just want to locate my friend Scott.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I dare you to drop the issue prontoe.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Writerdog, I recommend you cultivate a healthy sense of humor. There's a lot of laughs going on around this place and it would a shame if you don't join in.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Find my friend Scott and I will.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Writerdog, the others are playing and having fun. If their exchanges are bothering you, I suggest you avoid threads where people are joshing with one another like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.