Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm in the editing stage of the bullying book I'm cowriting, and our editor has asked us to add in two anecdotes to the "special needs" chapter. So I need a couple of stories from people who have dealt with bullying because of a disability (their own, or their children's) and how the situation resolved. If you're willing to share your story (we're not using real names), please PM me or e-mail me at jg @ jennaglatzer.com.

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
well I am 90% deaf in my left ear and 80% hearing in my other ear so I had to wear aids for a short time - and this was right in the middle of high school. I was picked on plenty of times, even by my own brother for being deaf and dumb. I had kids in my class who would whisper my name and make me look around the room like I was stupid then I would look at them and they would say "WHAT?!" in a sarcastic tone. Often times I would come home, run to my room and start crying my eyes out. It didnt help that I was already geek enough. If I were nominated for anything for say Winter Dance Queen or Homecoming Queen it was so that they could project me up so that they could make fun of me even more. Finally I convinced my parents to forget the hearing aid - I was doing just fine before hand - it only seemed to make things worse. I was to the point of hearing too much and I couldnt pick out the back ground noise from someone talking to me from behind.

I absolutely hated my junior high and high school years. Things seemed to subside a bit during my senior year when everyone else was more concerned about what to do after high school. During this hard time I discovered writing and realized I was pretty good at writing out my feelings and describing things on paper. My English teacher encouraged it, so here I am - trying to work full-time at the poultry plant and make a go of writing somehow.

If you want more in depth full stories of specific incidents PM me. I hope I can be of help to you somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.