• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

The Great Beta Reader Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, here it is: The Great Beta Reader Challenge. I’m challenging everyone on this board who wants a beta reader to find one by the end of the month. Interested in being a beta reader? This is your place, too! (And, yeah, I'm bad at creative titles.)

But first, what exactly is a beta reader? Well, the exact relationship is to be determined by the author and the reader, but here are some helpful starting points:

Beta readers are the “second readers” of a manuscript, the first reader being the author. They’ll read your work and give you feedback, usually based on prompts you’ve provided. Some will read for characterization, story and plot holes. They’ll suggest where your descriptions aren’t working, when your dialogue is rocky and, hopefully, the good points in your manuscript, too. Most beta readers won’t provide line-by-line editing, so be prepared to take care of most grammatical areas yourself. However, everything an author and beta discuss is up to them, so make sure you arrange a common understanding of each others’ needs before you begin.

For those of you submitting unfinished manuscripts or works in progress, your beta reader may also serve to keep you on track and motivated. Again, just make sure you discuss the relationship.

Now for the specifics:

If you’re interested in taking the challenge, submit a PM to katiemac by Wednesday, January 17th at 11:59 PM, Eastern time. Both finished and unfinished manuscripts are welcome. You may also submit short stories, poetry, screenplays or anything else you’d like – this challenge is not meant to limit anyone. Non-fiction is also welcome!

Your PM should include FOUR components:

1. The genre and word count of your manuscript. You should also note whether or not the work is complete. If it’s incomplete, you may include the current word count/expected finished word count. Including a title is your decision.

2. No more than the first 750 words in your manuscript. If you’re already using manuscript format, the first 750 words equal the first three pages. I chose this count so readers will have an impression of your writing style and voice. The amount is realistic to what an agent or editor might read, but without being too long. You don’t have to send all of the 750 words, but that is the maximum.

3. A hook, 150 words maximum, for your work. If betas don’t know what your book is about, they won’t want to read it. I know a few people already mentioned they’re nervous about submitting a hook, but really it will serve as an incentive and put your first three pages in context. Here’s a good example of a hook aruna posted yesterday, featured in Publisher’s Weekly:

Dan Lazar at Writers House just closed a deal with Algonquin's Chuck Adams for a novel by Oscar Bennett titled Land of Nod. Bennett's second novel is about an African-American teen who accidentally shoots his brother, blames it on a gang of nonexistent white boys, and the fallout of that lie. The auction for this book included adult and YA editors; Adams bought North American rights and likely publication is spring 2008.

Note the bolded sentence. If you need more examples, check out Miss Snark’s website. She just posted over 600 of them. Don’t worry, though, I’m not asking to limit yourselves to one sentence. Like I said above, you have 150 words max.

Also, don’t worry about making this hook like one you’d send to an agent or editor. Just give readers a sense of story.

4. A description of what you’d like in a beta reader, 100 words max. This is important! I’m giving you 100 words, but you probably won’t need that many. You just need a quick blurb to describe your relationship expectations. It’ll be helpful for the readers to know if you want someone to whip out the red pen constantly, or to sit back and answer your questions about plot.

Example:

“I’d love someone to read my whole manuscript. Specifically, I’m having trouble with my world-building and it’s affecting my characters – they’re falling flat. I’d love a reader who can point out clichés in my writing and tell me if my characters are likeable. I know I’m not the best at grammar, so it would also be helpful if someone can point out my common errors.”

So, here’s what HAPPENS NEXT:

After January 17th, I’ll post the PMs I receive ANONYMOUSLY and leave it open until January 31st. While it’d be great to have beta readers pair up among themselves, the challenge entries will be open to be read by the whole board – widening your potential betas. Don't worry, even though it's anonymous interested betas will still be able to contact you.

So, why anonymous? Each entrant will be asked to critique no more than 5 of the other entries. Not their manuscripts (that's a lot!) but their hooks and first 750 words. I'll let each entrant know whose work they’ll be critiquing. If we have enough entries to break it down by genre, I’ll do that so you’re all critiquing in your element.

Now, don’t panic – critique doesn’t mean a line-by-line edit. Because we can’t guarantee everyone will receive a beta reader, we will guarantee that everyone who participates receives some kind of feedback. Nothing tremendously lengthy – two or three CONSTRUCTIVE points, about a paragraph or less, each. You’ll have two weeks to return the critiques back to me in PM. Like the entries, these will all be conducted anonymously and I’ll PM the critiques back to the original author.

If you guys have any questions or comments, ask here. Interested betas, feel free to sign up in this thread. Entrants, you can sign up in this thread, too – but it’s only a solid confirmation if I receive your work by the 17th.

My PM box is open – the challenge starts now!

Last edited:

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
What if I have already recently agreed to be a reader for somebody? Would that count?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Riddler said:
What if I have already recently agreed to be a reader for somebody? Would that count?

I guess it does. But you can certainly find a beta reader for yourself, too, or work with a second writer! ;)

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Do I understand correctly that beta readers will be reading only 750 words, not the whole ms? I would definitely be interested in doing that, but I'm afraid I don't have time for whole manuscripts.

I like romance, contemporary, literary, humor—just about anything except horror, paranormal, or fantasy. Prefer no profanity or explicit sex.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Katiemac - I'm a little confused, maybe. I'm seeing two possibly different things in your post 1) a beta reader who'll read an entire manuscript, and 2) each person who decides to participate willl critique five ... of the first 750 words and hooks that are submitted or what? Can you clarify on that issue? Thanks, Puma

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Am I correct in understanding that this is fiction only?

Would it be possible to do a separate challenge for non-fiction?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that beta readers will be reading only 750 words, not the whole ms? I would definitely be interested in doing that, but I'm afraid I don't have time for whole manuscripts.

Entrants will be posting the first 750 words to get beta readers interested. If two people hit it off, then the relationship is up to them. Some may want you to read the whole manuscript, others may want you to read a chapter or two. The first 750 words is just so the interested betas can see what the writing and story looks like before the commit to a partnership.

Katiemac - I'm a little confused, maybe. I'm seeing two possibly different things in your post 1) a beta reader who'll read an entire manuscript, and 2) each person who decides to participate willl critique five ... of the first 750 words and hooks that are submitted or what? Can you clarify on that issue? Thanks, Puma

You're right, there are two different things happening here. Let me see if I can make more sense out of it.

1) Entrants will each have a post consisting of the first 750 words, a hook, etc. They'll be looking for beta readers, and hopefully someone from the boards will hook up with them based on an excerpt of their work.

2) All entrants (those looking for beta readers) are also going to be required to critique no more than 5 of their fellow entrants' posts (750 words, hooks). This idea is just so nobody leaves the challenge empty-handed and receives some kind of feedback. Again, the critiques need not be long, two or three points each.

Am I correct in understanding that this is fiction only?

Would it be possible to do a separate challenge for non-fiction?

Non-fiction is welcome this time around. Send away!

Last edited:

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Katie - I saw your notes above on beta readers being for novels and thought you might be restricting it to fiction for this round.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The entries are trickling in... Keep 'em coming!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought here.

Does anyone have a preference on whether or not the entries remain anonymous? The only REAL reason for keeping it anonymous was for the critiquing at the end, or keeping your name off a piece of writing that's visible to the whole board.

But really, if you guys would rather have me post the entries with your name and a link to your PM box, I'd definitely do that.

I still want to post 'em up myself because I want to keep genres together, if at all possible.

Thoughts?

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea, and hope that it might become semi-regular (every 6 months?) I'm not ready with a manuscript for this round, but I'd be interested in beta reading.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was there'd be no problem with identities being known, but the more I thought about it, I think it's nice for the submitters & the readers for the submissions to be anonymous. I think it gives the readers more leeway to be honest with their opinions, & it lets the more timid would-be submitters have a little more confidence to submit.

I'm going to submit one, & I'd be willing to beta read one too. I prefer fantasy, sci-fi, or even mysteries, though I used to read the latter more when I was younger. YA's good too.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem with not being anonymous. If we're posting anything that's been shared before -- SYW, Crapometer, etc. -- it might be recognizable anyway. Even if not, either would be fine by me.

Of course, in trying to formulate what I want in a reader, I'm starting to wonder if I'm really ready to do this. I would still like a writing buddy (I think best when I can bounce ideas off someone else)...but I'm not sure I'm far enough along for a beta. Of course I could be getting hung up on semantics.

(Either way, still willing to read for someone else.)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, since so far it sounds like you guys either don't mind or want to keep it anonymous, then we'll go ahead with anonymous posts as planned.

Annie, if you're not ready for a beta reader, that's perfectly fine. But if you want, go ahead and mention in a description that you'd like your beta reader to be able to communicate/bounce ideas with you. Who knows, somebody else may feel the same way!

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
I'm interested, but I'm one of those people who tend to work on more than one novel/short-story at the same time. Do I only send one 'hook'? Maybe I could send hooks for the ones I'm going to work on the most and the excerpt only for the one that's furthest along or something? Or maybe one could look for one beta per story? *is starting to confuse herself*

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
katiemac - on the anonymous vs known ... I do a lot of critiquing in share your work. There are many times when I rush to the poster's profile to try to figure out whether to proceed with kid gloves or let the chips fall as they may. I vote for knowing who's posting and being able to check profiles. I'm much more concerned about hitting too hard on someone for whom English is a second language or someone who's pulling themselves up by the bootstraps than that someone may be out to get another poster. And if someone is out to get someone, the four other critiques ought to tell the story. Puma

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puma raises a good point. Different writers have different ideas about what a "brutal" crit should be and I'm sure we've all come into contact with someone who asks for an opinion then is hurt or angry when an honest one is offered.

I am curious, though, Puma. How would the profiles help you decide?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't the description of what the submitter wants in a beta reader going to tell you more than their profile will?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested, but I'm one of those people who tend to work on more than one novel/short-story at the same time. Do I only send one 'hook'? Maybe I could send hooks for the ones I'm going to work on the most and the excerpt only for the one that's furthest along or something? Or maybe one could look for one beta per story? *is starting to confuse herself*

Rivana, if you're looking for beta readers on more than one project, it's best to submit separate hooks and pages.

Puma, good thoughts. Another idea I've been considering is to provide a link to the author's PM box. The link itself would read anonymously ("PM author"), but you'd have to click on it the link to actually know who's work you're reading.

Sage also has a good point, though. I realize you guys haven't seen "what I want in a beta reader" blurbs yet, but many have indicated "what they can take," so to speak, in a critique.

ETA: By the way, I want to thank everybody thus far who's been participating, whether it's submitting an entry or asking a question. I've had a few people already suggest they'd like to see this again in the future, so all comments help make this a less bumpy ride!

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Profiles

What I look for in profiles is 1) whether the poster is in a non-English speaking country (or non-US where different spellings and phrases come into play), 2) whether the poster is very young or very old (I try to be more lenient with both of those), 3) whether the poster exhibits an attitude (and you can see that). I also look at the other items provided which help me get a better feel for the person I'm about to critique. I don't do this with every critique, but sometimes red flags go up all over the place and I'm really happy when there is some material in the profile to give me a feel for the person. I don't want to squash anyone's dreams and I don't want to get in shooting matches. But I do prefer to be honest, even if that means toning down what I really want to say and deliberately looking for things to compliment. Puma

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
All right, no more submissions! We'll get the second round up and running late this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.