I have some news

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I'm the new Guide to Weblogs at About.com. The site should be live in a couple of weeks.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
congrats. I hope it goes well for you.

I'll be interested in your feedback. I was selected to do a topic about 2 years ago but other things interfered and I've often wondered whether to apply again. It could be good profile.

My concern is that I don't know if there will be much money in it with people moving to rss feeds for a lot of the abou network.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Thanks everyone. I look forward to getting started.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
TaliaMana said:
congrats. I hope it goes well for you.

I'll be interested in your feedback. I was selected to do a topic about 2 years ago but other things interfered and I've often wondered whether to apply again. It could be good profile.

My concern is that I don't know if there will be much money in it with people moving to rss feeds for a lot of the abou network.

From what I know so far, there's a guaranteed monthly payment + bonuses for traffic increases. The monthly payment has gone up. I do know About.com is a good "brand." It carries a bit of prestige in that it's owned by the New York Times and everyone I know who works or worked there claims to have made important contacts.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
That's right the minimum is $500/mth but that's peanuts compared to the time input and that guarantee only lasts for the first 12 mths. After that if you haven't built a following then there are problems.

I realise it's linked to NYT which is one of the reasons I was interested. It also ranks high in search engines and I often go to about for information. I especially like the alternative medicine site. The doc who runs that does marvellous columns and they are always fully referenced with source material.

My other fear was coping with the html which I found hard at the time although my knowledge has improved a lot since then so maybe it would be okay. How advanced is your html?

I still think the fact that lots of people are getting the posts in rss feeds will lower the payouts hosts receive as readers no longer have to click the page to read items therefore being paid by clicks is irrelevant.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Actually it's more than $500, I'm not sure what I'm at liberty to disclose. After "prep" the workload isn't bad at all. As for the HTML and the templates, I'm technically challenged and found everything simple to use. I didn't have to contact my mentor once because of a technical issue.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding was that $500 was the guaranteed minimum, but that many earn more, depending on traffic. At the risk of sounding like a supermodel I didn't think that was enough money for the time involved LOL.

I'd still be concerned that you wouldn't get credit for readers who read the columns on their own reader and don't visit the about site to get news. What's your take on that?

I'm encouraged that the html isn't too challenging. I was seriously wondering if I'd be getting in over my head. I'm much more comfortable with html now.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I'd have to analyze the stats, I guess, to see how many subscribe to the feeds and take it from there...

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck. I hope it works out profitably for you and helps you with your other writing goals.

Please keep us updated.

DTNg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Thank you, I'll let you know when it's "live".