Changing your name?

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure that using a pen name is akin to not taking pride in your work. Was Samuel Clemens trying to avoid credit for Tom Sawyer?

sophisticatedwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
just-sophisticated.blogspot.com
Well, I'm a young woman and I write romance so nothing is wrong with that. I agree with RJ. Pride has nothing to do with it. If you mean I should be proud of my name, I am.

:e2shrug:"Sophie Kinsella" became a best-selling author after changing her name. May be it just brought her good luck? I don't know.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"I was a fresh new journalist, and needed a nom de guerre; so I confiscated the ancient mariner's discarded one, and have done my best to make it remain what it was in his hands-- a sign and symbol and warrant that whatever is found in its company may be gambled on as being the petrified truth; how I have succeeded, it would not be modest in me to say." - Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
There are stories that I have in my head that would horrify my family. Were they published, I would use a nom de plume for sure.

jester

Registered
Reaction score
Dr. Suess had great success with his name too.........

I don't know if he would have been as famous as Dr Theodor, Dr Geisel, or Dr Theodor Suess Giesel.......would it have mattered? I love his books, Dr. Suess is catchy though.

I guess it's up to the individual.

In my case my daughter doesn't want any other name than mine on the book, she's ten and her and her younger sister rule the universe.

Jester

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
jester said:
....In my case my daughter doesn't want any other name than mine on the book, she's ten and her and her younger sister rule the universe.

Jester

Which is, as it should be.

jester

Registered
Reaction score
So they tell me as often as I try to forget :)

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
My birth certificate says "Jeraldine Dian Girard," and I have always gone by "Dian." I wrote short SF humor for the pro-mags as "Dian Girard" but after a lapse of several years I started writing murder mysteries and my publisher thought that, between the change in genre and the fact that women mystery writer seem to sell well, I ought to use "Jeraldine Crayne," since it was more obviously feminine. Somehow my publisher got her hands crossed and the first book came out under "J.D. Crayne." Thirteen books down the line, I'm stuck with it. I'd say, use your own name unless you're writing something that is apt to produce death threats, embarrass your children, or cause people to throw nasty things through your windows.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
I think I would want to publish under a different name just to keep old "friends" from looking me up and asking to borrow some of my millions. :D

I also wonder if people would act different around me, like, "Wow. I used to think that you're lame but now that you have a book, I'm going to be a lot nicer to you." :p

ltd.

The Commatose Kidd

color me gone
Registered
Reaction score
if the big leagues in writing are anything like the big leagues in visual art, a good sounding name can't hurt. some just sound too ethnic [depending on the genre of writing]-
in visual art- judy chicago is really hilda backwichakeen. robert indiana is really ralph fitzmiereski.
yes- i made those up.

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
I'm too vain to change my name. I like that people can see that it's me. However if I ever ventured into say erotic type writing I'd change it because my typical writing is pretty wholesome. I'd be afraid of different work hurting my rep.

Take care
~ Jennifer

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
I use three different pen names, one for each of the different genres I write. The readers of one genre don't necessary read the other two genres. I reserve my 'birth' name for the checks!

jester

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so those of you that change your name, do you put your picture on the inside or back cover so people can read about the author? Just curious how that works.

Jes

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
jester said:
OK, so those of you that change your name, do you put your picture on the inside or back cover so people can read about the author? Just curious how that works.

Jes

when stephen king was writing under the guise of bachman, he put a phony photo on his jackets.

jester

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
when stephen king was writing under the guise of bachman, he put a phony photo on his jackets.

I didn't know that.....cool idea

Jes