How much is in a shot of liqueur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a shot glass available and I was wondering if someone could tell me how many tablespoons / teaspoons is in a shot of liqueur.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
A shot is usually 1.5 oz. (although there are 1 oz. shot glass sizes, too). That’s about 3 tablespoons or 8-9 teaspoons.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a shot glass that didn't measure one liquid ounce, which is three tablespoons, which is nine teaspoons. Perhaps zenwriter drinks at different watering holes?

However, wikipedia says that in the US there are three common sizes, the Pony shot -- 1.0 fluid ounces (30 mL), the Single shot -- 1.5 fluid ounces (44 mL), and the Double shot -- 3.0 fluid ounces (89 mL).

I would guess that which size shot glass you select would depend on whether you're mixing a drink where the ratio of alcohol to mixer matters, or whether you're just monitoring how much you consume.

BTW, liqueur is a type of liquor. Check wikipedia for what makes an alcoholic beverage a liqueur.

Maryn, who doesn't have a single liqueur in the house

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
A shot is usually a jigger (1.5 oz) or a pony (1 oz) depending on the type of liquor involved.

In mixed drinks (2 or more ingredients) jiggers & pony measures are usually used - in contemporary mixed drinks, a proportion is sometimes used rather than a fixed measure, especially if using prepared mixers or if mixing in quantity.

A standard shot glass holds a jigger.

Kate - who likes sweet gin gimlets shaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.