Lunch Thief

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Ex-lax brownies.

A few squirts of eye drops in your drink (not sure if it actually works but movies keep using this trick as a laxative).

An exploding dye pack like the ones banks use.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'm reminded of the two word review for the album "shark sandwich" in "this is spinal tap":

shit sandwich.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Curl up bamboo into tiny balls and hide it throughout the lunch.

Once swallowed, the bamboo will begin to uncurl, causing exruciating pain or worse for the nefarious lunch thief.

I believe this was an old trick the Japanese used on our POW's back in WWII.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
The two of you need to settle down.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anyhing at all.

:Hug2:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
While vengance can be satisfying, it might be simpler if you buy a couple of freezeable lunch ice packs and keep your lunch in your desk, or barring that buy a metal lunch box with a lock, to keep in the fridge. If someone doesn't care about the sanctity of another's lunch (whether they steal it or not), you may not want to keep it out in the open where just anyone can handle/inspect it - cause you just never know where those hands have been.

PS I have had this happen and the culprit turned out to be one of the teens employed in the evening who never had enough to eat at home. After discussing it with the full time adult staffers, we didn't confront him but rather bought a couple of boxes of Ramen noodles and kept it in the kitchen with a note for people to help themselves. We never had a problem after that.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D Disclaimer: NOT A RECOMMENDATION

I've featured this very dilemma in my current murder mystery. Food is poisoned knowing the intended victim will steal it and eat it. :d

As you were....

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I freaking hate, hate, hate when people steal your lunch at work. The place I work now is the first place I've ever worked where food in the refrigerator is safe, and that's only because there's under 10 people using it. Eye drops definitely work wonders. You don't even have to put them in a drink, a couple of drops in a sandwich is equally effective. You don't want to use rotten food or anything that might be detectable prior to the thief eating it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I have read more than once about the said thief suing AND WINNING when poisoned or otherwise culinarily revenged upon. I remember specifically someone putting formaldehyde in her water bottle, and being charged with attempted murder.

I would, instead, Whistle, place one of those sonic alarm devices in your lunch, so that when it's opened, you'll know exactly who or where (hell, everyone should). Find the loser, and point him out to management. I'm sure yours isn't the only lunch being stolen. This'll get him fired without you committing a crime.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Have you reported the problem to human resources?

I am sure that theft of personal property is against company policy and grounds for termination.

A responsible HR person will do an investigation. It is in the company's best interest to find out who is stealing because if they are taking your lunch they are probably stealing from the company, too. Even if HR can't catch the person, the gossip and fall-out from HR getting involved should work to make the thief afraid enough to stop.

If HR dismisses your complaint as trivial, try saying "this has happened so much that I feel like this is becoming a hostile work environment".

jester

Registered
Reaction score
I think that colorless odorless fiber can be added to anything including sauce in the nice meatball sub you brought for lunch.

MWUHAHAHAHAHA

JESTER

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
threedogpeople said:
Have you reported the problem to human resources?

I'm the HR person this was reported to lo these many years ago. We had a lunch thief who was particular, too: s/he'd take a bite to see if it was acceptable and if it wasn't, s/he'd put it back!

We never caught the thief... unfortunately, this was before hidden cameras. What we did do, however, was lace some lunches with laxitives on random days and watch the bathroom. A knowing smile made the lunch problem go away.