What to be a parent? Try this first...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Ha! I was talking to my mom tonight about being a parent and what I've gone through in just one week. (Not to mention every week for the past several years.)

So listen to my laundry list for the week, and if you still want to be a parent then I'll be the first to welcome you into the fraternity of lost souls:

1.) My son was (ran away) missing for nearly five days without calling me.
2.) My oldest daughter emailed me today and said she had (will have) problems making her car payment of $260.00 because of a banking issue.
3.) My youngest daughter (who was living with me for two months) calls me with the following problems:

a.) My car is broke (I just spent over $300 getting it fixed) and it will cost $800 to fix it.
b.) I don't have money to pay my cell phone bill
c.) I found a place to live but need to pay $300 to move in
d.) I'm really stressed

Huh? Stressed?

Oh my...

I have expired Texas plates and have tried for a month to get them renewed. I sent (express mail) my forms, payment, and return express envelope to the Texas DMV. Guess what? They lost it? Huh? I have a signed receipt that they got it.

Oh well, I continue to drive 30 miles each way to work and home with expired tags because some clerk in Texas can't admit his error.

Now about kids.

Hmmmm...I'm thinking not! Unless you are prepared for the good times and bad times.

Lately, I've had bad times. Yet, I love my kids to death and would gladly give up everything I own for them.

So if you desire my week, send me a PM with the proper instructions.

Good luck, gosh bless, and we parents need medication to get through out daily lives.

Jon

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Spooky, not enough medication in the world for parenting...ahh but they are our life for life!

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
See! That's why I don't have any kids. Dating a girl with a kid is fun, because I get all the benefits and barely any of the downsides. He's 4 and a half so he's pretty fun to hang around with, and since I don't live with her, the worst I ever have to deal with is the occasional late night bad dream.

jester

Registered
Reaction score
Jon, I don't wish your week on anyone. But, your son is safe now. Your kids obviously love you, and you sound like a fantastic dad.

Payback will be when your kids have kids....MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA
Then you snuggle, cuddle, and give the grandbabies back. Buy them noisy toys and watch them drain their parents of all energy, time, patience, sanity, and money.

Jester

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Arrrghhhh! I feel for you. Just to tick you off, I'd like to tell you that we have these cool little kiosks in our local malls that allow us to renew our plate stickers with a credit or debit card. It spits the thing right out at us and we can put it on our plates.

Kids? Well, kids... Mine are 17 and 15, but I must say that I'm 47 and I still call my dad with money problems. He didn't have money when we were kids and I think he's making up for it now by bailing his kids out as he feels necessary. He gets lots of love and cyber-hugs on a regular basis. I hope yours will, too.

I talk to my kids constantly. And they talk to me. When I can filter out the crap, they really have something to say. We hash out everything. They tell their friends that I am cool because I know where they're coming from. Maybe because I'm a kid at heart, I dunno....

Humour trumps everything. If things get heated, a little joke (not at the expense of the child, of course - no teasing allowed) breaks the tension.

I have to choose this week whether to pay the mortgage or buy groceries for a month. DH, a brilliant desktop support guy, has been out of work for two years, and if he manages to get two days of freelance work per month, the mortgage is taken care of. If he doesn't... well.... we'll see.

Let me do a little census adjustment in my home: I have three kids.

Buck up, Spooky. This too shall pass.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
CBeasy said:
See! That's why I don't have any kids. Dating a girl with a kid is fun, because I get all the benefits and barely any of the downsides. He's 4 and a half so he's pretty fun to hang around with, and since I don't live with her, the worst I ever have to deal with is the occasional late night bad dream.
Bad boy! Try parenting for a weekend. Dating without responsibility is fun (for a while) and then one day you wake up to "Hey dad, what's for breakfast?"

Yeah, hahhahahaa...you love being a dad and don't lie...:D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
jester said:
Jon, I don't wish your week on anyone. But, your son is safe now. Your kids obviously love you, and you sound like a fantastic dad.

Payback will be when your kids have kids....MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA
Then you snuggle, cuddle, and give the grandbabies back. Buy them noisy toys and watch them drain their parents of all energy, time, patience, sanity, and money.

Jester
Thanks jester, but at the moment I'm so stressed my heart feels like it's going to burst.

I love these kids, honestly. I love new babies too! I would have twenty kids if I could afford to live that long.

But my three are killing me slowly.

Sometimes I dream of a life of (not!) laying on the beach without a care in the world.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Chumplet said:
Let me do a little census adjustment in my home: I have three kids.

I only have one. She just turned forty, is a gainfully employed computer professional with a partner, a cat, and a dog. I couldn't have a better kid if I'd filled out the order specifications before hand. Yep, Spooky, your kids will grow up and they'll be wonderful people; just wait and see -- if you don't have a stroke before then, that is.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Chumplet said:
Arrrghhhh! I feel for you. Just to tick you off, I'd like to tell you that we have these cool little kiosks in our local malls that allow us to renew our plate stickers with a credit or debit card. It spits the thing right out at us and we can put it on our plates.
:rant: But I'm in Arizona helping take care of my mom and kids.

Kids? Well, kids... Mine are 17 and 15, but I must say that I'm 47 and I still call my dad with money problems. He didn't have money when we were kids and I think he's making up for it now by bailing his kids out as he feels necessary. He gets lots of love and cyber-hugs on a regular basis. I hope yours will, too.
Mine are 22, 19, and 15. I love my dad to death. So, we have another thing in common. :D

I talk to my kids constantly. And they talk to me. When I can filter out the crap, they really have something to say. We hash out everything. They tell their friends that I am cool because I know where they're coming from. Maybe because I'm a kid at heart, I dunno....
I'm constantly emailing or talking to my kids daily. They make me laugh sometimes and that's what gets me by when life sucks.

Humour trumps everything. If things get heated, a little joke (not at the expense of the child, of course - no teasing allowed) breaks the tension.
Believe me, I do want to laugh again. Maybe next week when all this sinks in. I know my mom is getting a kick out of it. She can't stop laughing. Sometimes I just smirk and she starts busting out in laughter until the tears are running down her face.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that as I dream about Tahiti... :cry:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JDCrayne said:
I only have one. She just turned forty, is a gainfully employed computer professional with a partner, a cat, and a dog. I couldn't have a better kid if I'd filled out the order specifications before hand. Yep, Spooky, your kids will grow up and they'll be wonderful people; just wait and see -- if you don't have a stroke before then, that is.
:roll: Just my luck I'll hit a DPS officer with an attitude.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Big hugs to you. You make me feel bad for complaining about my three-year-old who won't sleep. Her ped calls her a non-sleeper and hasn't really suggested anything that can be done. If she doesn't sleep, I don't sleep. Last night, it was 12:30 before she went to sleep. When I can get her on a routine and stick to it, she does pretty well, but she is thrown off from traveling at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas.

But, I think it's wonderful they know they can call you when they have problems. That's a sign of a good parent.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Southern_girl29 said:
Big hugs to you. You make me feel bad for complaining about my three-year-old who won't sleep. Her ped calls her a non-sleeper and hasn't really suggested anything that can be done. If she doesn't sleep, I don't sleep. Last night, it was 12:30 before she went to sleep. When I can get her on a routine and stick to it, she does pretty well, but she is thrown off from traveling at Thanksgiving and again at Christmas.

But, I think it's wonderful they know they can call you when they have problems. That's a sign of a good parent.
Oh honey, three year old kids often have problems sleeping for various reasons. I too had gone through this with my kids. I vaguely remember lots of exercise before bed, no soda pops, and veggies. I think they get wound up sometimes because their brains are starting to develop more. I can't recall all the home remedies, but I'm sure if you do some web searches there will be information to help you.

Take care, and (btw) your daughter is a cutie pie.

Spooky

ETA: I just want you to know that I'm not special in any way. I'm just a parent trying to do what's best for my kids. That's all...

Last edited:

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Southern_girl29 said:
Big hugs to you. You make me feel bad for complaining about my three-year-old who won't sleep. Her ped calls her a non-sleeper and hasn't really suggested anything that can be done. If she doesn't sleep, I don't sleep. Last night, it was 12:30 before she went to sleep.

She's obviously a night-owl and destined to be a writer just like her mom!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JDCrayne said:
She's obviously a night-owl and destined to be a writer just like her mom!
Could be...:D ...and I'm ready to drift off into a slumber where life is just peachy cream. Hahahaaa...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Yeah, sure, NOW you warn me. ;)
OMG! Jenna, I had actually thought "I hope Jenna doesn't freak out." after I began this thread.

Then, oh yes my friend, after I read your response I laughed my arse off. Sorry, I didn't want to alarm you. Kids are great. Believe me, although you go through periods of angst -- it is the good times that makes being a parent worth every minute of it.

I wouldn't ever consider trading my life (good or bad) for a day without my kids. Matter of fact, I had thought of marriage and more children if I ever met the right woman.

So, go to sleep each and every night, and hold that baby close (inside) with the best darn thoughts of a happy future with her (and Anthony). I envy you...really, I do.

My very best best wishes to you,

Jon

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
SpookyWriter said:
I wouldn't ever consider trading my life (good or bad) for a day without my kids. Matter of fact, I had thought of marriage and more children if I ever met the right woman.

Jon

That's it. Children are the most precious thing we can ever have in this life. So precious that life moves into another league when you have them - because now you have something worth more than your own life, and losing it would be worse than losing your own life.
It's the greatest gift; and for that very reason we are more vulnerable than we've ever been before.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be pregnant right now more than anything.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you Spooky, but you have to remember that you are human not superman - you can only do so much.

If it helps any, sometimes when I'm stressed I write down all my priorties. Things that must get done - and the consequences of if it doesn't. I look at my list and make sure that none of the consequences end in "death" and I go on from there.

From your posts I can assume that taking care of your mom and getting your son to you is number one. The next in priority is your job. Your daughters financial problems are not your problems. They are adults now, living on their own and if you had the money I'm sure you would give it, but you don't sound like you are in a position to help right now. You should explain to them and they should understand that they have to solve what ever they need on their own. Banks are helpful, they don't want people to default on loans or get behind on payments, tell them to go to the bank talk to the loan officer and they will work out a payment plan for them. I know you are a loving dad and want to make life easy for your kids, but it's way better to learn self reliance earlier than later.

Good luck to you and keep at those numskulls at the DMV - you don't need a ticket to add to your woes.

aarthurco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.snappywriting.com
My 11/2 year old threw my wedding ring down the toilet. My almost 3 year old flushed the toilet. She told me a couple of days later, said, "Mom, isn't that silly". Well, I don't think it's very silly, but I still love my kids!

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
SpookyWriter said:
Bad boy! Try parenting for a weekend. Dating without responsibility is fun (for a while) and then one day you wake up to "Hey dad, what's for breakfast?"

Yeah, hahhahahaa...you love being a dad and don't lie...:D
Yeah, you kinda do have me there. I don't consider myself his parent by any means, but I certainly do have a relationship with her son and definately do enjoy it. It cool when I can to show or explain some aspect of maleness him that I can remember my dad passing on to me.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you, Spooky--esp. what you've been through this last week. Not to diminish your pain, but one thing you can be thankful for--your kids are healthy. (As far as I know.) That's a bright side of parenting not to be taken for granted, hopefully.

Both of my kids were born with chronic health problems (one has Tourette syndrome, and the other has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis). Both were diagnosed right before I cratered into clinical depression. (Other stuff led to that, but it made it trickier to deal with their needs at the time.) The Tourettes carried with it all kinds of academic, behavioral and social problems for the past 18 years with psychiatric as well as medical bills. The JRA had my daughter limping for 2 years, with daily swim therapy and leg splinting. We could've put another child through college with what we've spent on medications and interventions over the years. The hardest part for me was watching them struggle to compete with their healthy peers, and grieving their losses in big and small ways almost daily. The good news is that as they've approached adulthood, their symptoms have improved somewhat, and they've learned to cope and compensate fairly well--which is a good life skill.

Last edited: