Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franz

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am gathering information on a cold war event. My uncle flew the Atlantic Barrier, Newfoundland to the Azores. In Feb of 1958 his plane was lost without a trace. I am writing a novel based on this incident. I am trying to find out where to go in the Department of Navy to research what ever may have been recorded on this event. I also need to research the weather at the time of his last reported position, if anyone has any info on where to go on that.
For anyone who might be an old Naval pilot, his plane was a Llockheed WV-2 Tail # 141311, he was stationed in Argentia Newfoundland Sqadron VW-15.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated,

Franz

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Franz.

This sounds like a great story idea. You may find additional help with technical questions in the Research and Experts forum located here.

Good luck, and welcome to AW!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Franz - For weather try the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - pretty sure they're in Arlington, Virginia. I got weather data for a non fiction book I was working on (for 1978) from them a couple years ago. That would be just plain data but I think that would be a good place to start. On the Navy - if you have permission from his family to have access to your uncle's personal information, I think you should be able to get that from his personal records. I can't think of the organization right now that keeps all the military personnel records, but if you start via Google looking for "Military records" US and then select only sites that end in .gov you ought to be able to narrow down your search pretty fast. You might also want to try a Google search for your uncle's name - but be sure to put quotes around the first and last name ("Joe Uncle"). And - contact the air field where he was stationed. There may be some old stories about what happened or maybe even an old timer who retired and stayed in the area who would know what the speculation was at the time as to what happened. Good luck. Puma

Franz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the direction.

Ol' Girl, the original tail number was 141310 when it was built, for some reason it was changed when they went to Newfoundland. I have no idea why. More research.

thanks again to all.

Franz

Status
Not open for further replies.