Supernatural YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up reading Christopher Pike, RL Stine, LJ Smith, etc. And the kinda supernatural, dark stories have always appealed to me.

I've tried to keep up with the market, and pick up new books in a similar vein. But many of them, it seems like the books fall flat. In my own opinion, a lot of that might be because the writing falls flat. Many of them stick with the 'most powerful female (witch) ever' or something to that effect, and the rest of the novels seem to fall flat.

Even still, I've seen a number of series start, and all of them (I've heard) have gotten cancelled by the publisher. The Wicked series, the Sweep series, Circle of Three, etc.

And since I'm hoping to get my WiP series published, which fits right into this sub-genre, I guess I'm just wondering if the publishing world has turned away from books like this, at this point?

Harry Potter, Eragon, etc all seem to be thriving, but books that would appeal to fans of Buffy, Charmed etc, don't seem to be doing as well.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Even if the market has plateaued (sp?) or cycled or cooled, if the writing and story are awesome, you shouldn't have any trouble getting requests. A few agents who were interviewed on a YA loop I'm a member of said they were still looking for paranormal/supernatural.

I agree with you, though, that a lot of the current books are just kind of...meh.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
clara bow said:
Even if the market has plateaued (sp?) or cycled or cooled, if the writing and story are awesome, you shouldn't have any trouble getting requests. A few agents who were interviewed on a YA loop I'm a member of said they were still looking for paranormal/supernatural.

I agree with you, though, that a lot of the current books are just kind of...meh.

What she said... :Shrug:

chibeth

Registered
Reaction score
Everything I've seen recently has indicated that urban fantasy and paranormal YA are hot, hot, hot! At least two agents I know of are looking for it.

Edited because I so need a proofreader.

Last edited:

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed - I've seen the same thing...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Legionsynch said:
I grew up reading Christopher Pike, RL Stine, LJ Smith, etc. And the kinda supernatural, dark stories have always appealed to me.

All the Pike and Stine books I've read were MG, not YA, and I think this makes a big difference in what you write, and in how you write it. The Harry Potter books, too, were MG when they began, not YA.

I think supernatural YA novels are still publishable, but like anything else, if you want to sell well, you have to do it different, you have to be original, and you simply have to write a novel readers can't put down.

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
Urban fantasy & paranormal YA are both still hot.

FWIW, 10-11 months ago when I was querying, I had requests & offers very quickly. Then when I chose the agent I went with (Rachel Vater) we had a high number of interested editors, enough so that there was a pre-empt.

A number of authors (YA, adult, & MG) I know have had good luck with UF the past 6-8 months too. It's far from dead.

Check out the recent UF sales on PM. There's good agents getting solid deals for UF texts. That helps narrow in on which agents to query.

Good luck with it.

M.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
Legionsynch said:
Harry Potter, Eragon, etc all seem to be thriving, but books that would appeal to fans of Buffy, Charmed etc, don't seem to be doing as well.

I work at a bookstore - trust me, those Buffy books do sell. It's a niche audience, but a very faithful one. I'm not saying that they're one of our biggest sellers, but they definitely hold their own.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Just my personal opinion, but I can't imagine why someone would want to read the Buffy or Charmed series. I have a very hard time reading a book once I've seen the movie or show. Anyone else feel the same?

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Moon Daughter, some people do find it hard. For me, often the movie or show inspires me to read the book, because I want to see how similar it is or what my imagination gives me for images from the written word. Plus a book can be read over and over, whereas to see a movie or show over and over one has to have the DVD. I find it hard to see movies that are based on books, though, especially if it's a book I really like; the movies never seem to do them justice.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that since the market is pretty much flooded with fantasy, and especially dark fantasy, that a story has to be unique to break through the slush, both on the agents' desk and in the bookstore.

I also read Pike and Stine, but I wouldn't say they were super great quality. I was totally hooked on the twist-endings, though.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
In the sixth grade, you read Goosebumps or you were made fun of--by nerds true, but made fun of none-the-less.

YA urban fantasy and supernatural/thrillers are hot, and will be for a while. Kids like that kind of stuff. For a really good example, try picking up Charles de Lint's The Blue Girl, or the short story collection Being Dead by Vivian Van Velde. Or one of my personal favorites as of late, the anthology Gothic!. That's a funny title to say, if you say it the way it's punctuated. :)

Continue writing your genre; like I said, kids (including myself) love it.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Jamesaritchie said:
All the Pike and Stine books I've read were MG, not YA, and I think this makes a big difference in what you write, and in how you write it. The Harry Potter books, too, were MG when they began, not YA.

I think supernatural YA novels are still publishable, but like anything else, if you want to sell well, you have to do it different, you have to be original, and you simply have to write a novel readers can't put down.

Definitely agree with that last statement...

and I know i'm showing my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the acronym MG. What does that stand for?

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm approaching the end of my first draft. I have about 3 to 5 chapter left. All of a sudden, I'm concerned that my MC's don't have enough conflict. I'm concerned that I haven't spoken in the vernacular of the average teen. In addition, I'm not sure if my WIP is Horror, Supernatural, or Religious. All three elements are sprinkled throughout. Does anyone else freak out about this kind of stuff?

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
The core issue involves a teen who sold his soul to the devil to save his father from cancer. I'm thinking horror or supernatural genre targeted at grades 9 - 12. The teen died under suspicious circumstances so his best friend and girlfriend are trying to figure out what happened. These two teens are now my MCs. Their investigation gets them into dicy situations, etc. mostly with an old man who has recently returned to their small town. His name matches an odd character from local folklore who was associated with (but never proven to be involved in) grave desecrations. The teens even witness a grave desecration. But it was too dark in the cemetery to ID the perpetrator. His he the same man? One teen says yes the other says no. There's more but that's it in a nutshell.

Lisa McMann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lisamcmann.com
Supernatural, to me, is ordinary people in an ordinary world who have maybe one or a few supernatural powers. Like Spiderman, or Superman.

OR...

Like um...TA-DA! The MC in my new 2-book deal:

Lisa McMann's debut JANIE HANNAGAN: Dream Catcher, about a teenager who finds herself being sucked into other people's dreams and the secretive boy who helps her deal with her emerging powers, to Jennifer Klonsky at Simon Pulse, by Michael Bourret at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management (world).

Last edited:

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Rather than create a new topic in the same veni, I figured I'd reuse this one.

I've been rereading books in the urban fantasy/supernatural YA genre, to get an idea of some of the themes and ideas touched upon. The nature of balancing two seperate lives, etc, the idea of destiny, and finding out you're magical, and all that.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend other well written YA novels that might fit in this vein. I've gone through the Sweep series, the Circle of Three, and the Wicked series lately, and there are things in some I appreciate, but many of them give me the "wait, that's not right, it would go something like this" thoughts.

Any other suggestions, oh writers of the internet ether? ;)

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I assume everyone here is like me and enjoys reading supernatural/paranormal YA as I do (even if I'm far removed from that age), since we also write that genre.

I've seen a lot of witchcraft/Wicca/Occult paranormal type mentioned, but what else do you like? I ask because my current YA project is more supernatural, based on Norse mythology brought into modern times. I'm kind of curious now how it might be received. I thought it would be a unique basis for a story, but after reading posts about stories that involve more paranormal elements, I have to wonder if people who read the genre would be interested. Or is it more a matter of it hasn't been done before?

Hermshark

Registered
Reaction score
YA/fantasy "super hot" genre

I too have written a YA/fantasy novel. In the midst of one of the rejections i received from an agent, she pointed out that I should polish the work and keep trying, because "YA/fantasy is a super-hot genre right now." Not sure if everyone feels this way, so take it for what it's worth.

Bottom line, I wouldn't write in a different genre just because the market isn't hot. If your story and writing is good, the market will become hot because of your novel. YA/fantasy wasn't hot until Harry Potter hit - maybe you'll write the next novel that keeps it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.