Semi-Suicide Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fleshing out an idea for a novel -- I won't go into details here, but to say that I need help working out a plot element where the MC commits "semi-suicide" (for lack of a better term). That is to say, he deliberately kills off most of his brain -- i.e. becomes "brain dead" -- but in such a way that he ensures that most (if not all) of his other major organs are kept healthy/alive for organ transplants.

So, how could one ensure that one becomes "brain dead" without risking complete death, and while protecting most/all other organs?

He has to be able to do this completely on his own -- no helpful strangler or anything. And he doesn't want to traumatize anyone, so no blowing out his brains while visiting the ER of a hospital.

I haven't assigned the character a profession yet, so arcane/specialized knowledge on his part is definitely possible.

Any ideas?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No offense meant, but that sounds a bit clunky. Why go to the trouble? Just call 911 right before committing suicide (some less bloody way than a gunshot) and leave a signed and witnessed organ donor card where it will be quickly found. They will then quickly take the body to the hospital anyway.

However, if you still want to use this plot item, I can think of a couple of ways to make it work.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
No offense meant, but that sounds a bit clunky. Why go to the trouble? Just call 911 right before committing suicide (some less bloody way than a gunshot) and leave a signed and witnessed organ donor card where it will be quickly found. They will then quickly take the body to the hospital anyway.

However, if you still want to use this plot item, I can think of a couple of ways to make it work.

Well, how does one "commit suicide" while 100 percent guaranteeing that one will not completely succeed, yet also 100 percent guaranteeing that one cannot be saved (even in a vegetative state)?

I thought about poison, but I don't know of one that won't result in wasting one's kidneys as far as organ transplantation is concerned ...

Oxygen-deprivation would work, but how to time it "just right" and arrange it solo?

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
smallthunder said:
Well, how does one "commit suicide" while 100 percent guaranteeing that one will not completely succeed, yet also 100 percent guaranteeing that one cannot be saved (even in a vegetative state)?

aren't those conflicting requirements?

will not completely succeed at suicide, says they live.

cannot be saved, even in a vegatative state, says they die.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
aren't those conflicting requirements?

will not completely succeed at suicide, says they live.

cannot be saved, even in a vegatative state, says they die.

You're right -- I misspoke (misstyped?).

What I'm shooting for (no pun intended) is BRAIN DEAD.

In other words, a vegetative state that is so clearly hopeless that no one would challenge a DNR/Living Will and insist on the character being kept on a ventilator.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
smallthunder said:
In other words, a vegetative state that is so clearly hopeless that no one would challenge a DNR/Living Will and insist on the character being kept on a ventilator.

That would be pretty hard to do for political reasons. Depending on someone's religious and personal bent, they may decide to keep someone on life support, even if numerous examing doctors have deemed the person brain dead. I believe the US congress involved itself in such a case a couple years ago.

As for causing that outcome on purpose, I don't know how you could guarantee such an outcome. You could have the character hang themselves, have them botch it so they suffocate instead of having their neck break, and then have the rope break after some point (minutes later). It would be an accident, but it has the chance of causing the outcome you want. But doing it on purpose and guaranteing the outcome? I'm not sure.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
That would be pretty hard to do for political reasons. Depending on someone's religious and personal bent, they may decide to keep someone on life support, even if numerous examing doctors have deemed the person brain dead. I believe the US congress involved itself in such a case a couple years ago.
That was Terri Schiavo, involving the Florida legislature, Governor Jeb Bush, and then US Congress and President Bush. I followed it somewhat, it was quite convoluted. The parents insisted she could be revived and rehabilitated in spite of medical evidence to the contrary.

IANAL, but I would think to be legally "successful" this should be placed in a liberal State where "right to die" laws are (relatively) more established.

The idea seems rather unlikely. None of the suicides I've heard of have ever been so "thoughtful" of others, whether it's wanting to donate organs, or not "traumatize" whoever found the body. Perhaps there could be someone in such a state of mind to do that, but the story would have to convince me.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's an odd situation, but please play with me!

benbradley said:
That was Terri Schiavo, involving the Florida legislature, Governor Jeb Bush, and then US Congress and President Bush. I followed it somewhat, it was quite convoluted. The parents insisted she could be revived and rehabilitated in spite of medical evidence to the contrary.

IANAL, but I would think to be legally "successful" this should be placed in a liberal State where "right to die" laws are (relatively) more established.

The idea seems rather unlikely. None of the suicides I've heard of have ever been so "thoughtful" of others, whether it's wanting to donate organs, or not "traumatize" whoever found the body. Perhaps there could be someone in such a state of mind to do that, but the story would have to convince me.

Thanks for that bit about "liberal" states regarding right-to-die -- that's a good thing for me to keep in mind for the setting of the novel.

As for the "typical" suicide -- this is not supposed to be typical/ordinary, with ordinary reasonings.

Remember -- this is a piece of fiction I'm brainstorming (again, pun noted but not intended). I have some good ideas about who this MC is and why he would want to do this -- so, please, don't dismiss this idea out of hand.

I know that this "semi-suicide" would require much planning & thinking & perhaps specialized knowledge ... that's why I'm posting here for some leads!

C'mon, people -- let's play with this idea -- won't you?

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
smallthunder said:
C'mon, people -- let's play with this idea -- won't you?

It's beyond my layperson's knowledge. Maybe you could find a doc who could answer some questions for you. I have no idea how you could plan it so that it was guaranteed not to kill the character but leave them precisely in a non-recoverable vegatative state.

There's a bunch of ways you could have it happen by accident. But I don't know what you would have to do to make it happen with certainty.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Drowning would preserve the organs, but it would not be a semi-death unless he was found at the right moment.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
What about if he took a huge dose of someone else's Insulin. My ex bf done this with mine, but I happened to come home early, caught him, and called an ambulance. But a high dose of that can produce a coma and brain damage if not treated in time.

P.S. My ex had brain damage before he tried my Insulin anyway LOL ;)

Ellie

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Something I found out for a short story is that there can't be oxygen deprivation because it makes the organs unviable - they die off. The person can't be *dead* but 'brain dead' for whatever transplants that may be necessary. So whatever method you're able to come up with has to include that as part of the considerations.

I'm not sure of a way a person could put themselves into this 'brain death' without causing other damage and making their organs viable for transplant.

Rabe...

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Here's one from my personal experience at work:

A man decided to kill himself. Because he lived alone and didn't have much family, he knew he might not be found for awhile and he didn't want that to happen, so he called 911 and said, (I'll quote him here because I'll never forget what he said) "I'm going to shoot myself. My name is ____ and I live at ____. The front door is unlocked and I'll be in the basement. Thank-you." He shot himself as soon as he hung up the phone. Unfortunately, he did die instantly but we've had plenty of people that shot themselves and didn't die. And a couple have lived in a vegetative state for a while because they didn't damage their brain stem.

Good luck.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Elodie-Caroline said:
What about if he took a huge dose of someone else's Insulin. My ex bf done this with mine, but I happened to come home early, caught him, and called an ambulance. But a high dose of that can produce a coma and brain damage if not treated in time.

P.S. My ex had brain damage before he tried my Insulin anyway LOL ;)

Ellie

Hmm ... insulin overdose, eh? I'll have to do some research on that. Perhaps the character could take the injection, wait for a certain symptom that shows he's "on his way," and then call 911 with instructions at that point.

If I understand you correctly, the first organ to be shut down with an insulin overdose would be the brain -- right?

Or did your ex-boyfriend suffer other organ damage?

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
With an Insulin overdose, you would feel all hot and sweaty, your body feels like it's nervous the whole way through, and your mind feels as though you're drunk. You'd most probably feel hungry too--this is how it feels when a diabetic has low blood-sugar anyway, this would probably be how a person without diabetes would feel if they take a lot of Insulin too.

I was joking about my ex, he was a bit of a nutter, that's why I said he had brain damage anyway.
Where they had him in hospital, he was plugged into the ECG machine and lots of checks on the electrolytes in his heart. To be honest, when he was in the hospital, they were more concerned about me because I was upset.

You would have to have taken a lot of Insulin (fast acting type) and be found quite late for the brain damage and coma to be taking effect I should imagine.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Another thing. If you could make your MC a diabetic in the story; if he didn't take his Insulin, he would end up in a coma and could suffer brain damage too. But it would take around 24 hours for the coma to take place, and the hours before that are really bad; violent spewing, craving water and not being able to hold your pee.
I forgot my injection once when I was 12 years old, it wasn't very nice, and thankfully I'd remembered (just before the coma part set-in) that I hadn't taken it--too late by then--and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks.
But if this person couldn't tell someone that they hadn't taken it, and they weren't found until the next morning; I'd say it was braindead time, even if not bodily death.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
We've got a winner!

Yup, it looks like an insulin overdose would work -- thank you, Elodie-Caroline, for pointing me in the right direction.

It appears that the 911 call would not work, for the journal article below (and others) show that it would be best to let the MC be in a coma for as long as possible before being found (in order to prevent being revived with glucose).

"Objective: Overdoses with insulin are common, and cases of hypoglycemic coma can be fatal and cause cerebral defects. ...The present investigation analyzes inquiries made to a regional poisons unit involving overdoses with insulin. ... 160 inquiries were received by telephone concerning insulin overdoses, and a standardized questionnaire was sent to the physicians asking for follow-up information. The cases were analyzed in regard to etiology, type of insulin used, concomitant substances being taken by the patient, symptoms and clinical outcome. Results: Of the 160 inquiries investigated, 53.1% of the patients were female, 43.1% male and in 3.8% the sex of the patient was unknown. The average age was 44.7 years. 89.4% involved suicidal or parasuicidal cases, 5.0% were accidental overdoses and 1.9% involved cases of criminal overdose (3.7% were for other reasons). Rapidly acting insulins (57.8%) were used more commonly than long-acting formulations (42.8%). Benzodiazepines were the most frequently ingested concomitant medication (37.5%) with ethanol 15.6%, antihypertensive drugs 12.5% and antidepressants 10.0%. Most patients presented with a delay of 2 - 3 hours after insulin administration (15.0%). Almost 50% of the patients presented within the first 6 hours. According to the Poisoning Severity Score, no symptoms were observed in 16.8% of the patients, minor symptoms in 36.8%, major symptoms in 25.2% and serious symptoms in 21.3%. Information concerning the clinical outcome (75 cases) showed that a full recovery occurred in most patients (94.7%), but in 2.7% there were cerebral defects and 2.7% of the patients died. Conclusions: The etiology of overdoses with insulin was mainly deliberate self-poisoning. Physicians should take into account that long-acting insulin formulations and concomitant substances were frequently used. For overdoses with insulin, relatively high rates of serious symptoms and deaths were observed."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Brain dead

If you want to us ehis organs for transplant purposes, just have him fill out a donar card, then let him blow his brains out in the hospital waiting room.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
If you want to us ehis organs for transplant purposes, just have him fill out a donar card, then let him blow his brains out in the hospital waiting room.

Er, yes ... well ... as I noted earlier, the chap does not want to traumatize anybody ...

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Actually, when I was in Emergency a couple of weeks ago, the sound of sniffing/sneezing/coughing/crying was so loud that it's doubtful that anyone would have heard him blow his brains out. Oh, and to make matters worse--they actually had Jerry Springer on the television! Can you believe that? One poor little girl was quite scared of the fighting on it. So would anyone have noticed bits of brain? Doubtful.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
Er, yes ... well ... as I noted earlier, the chap does not want to traumatize anybody ...

Here's another one I forgot about:

Guy walks up to the front desk at the hospital and says, "I'm going to kill myself. I'm driving a green Ford Ranger and it's parked in the lot straight out from the doors." He walked out, climbed into his truck and shot himself in the head with a .357. The police arrived within two minutes and he was still breathing. He ended up being an organ donor.

Variant Frequencies

Podcaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.variantfrequencies.com
In order for somebody to be an organ donor, they must be brain dead. Brain damaged, even a vegetative state, is not enough. The criteria that must be met is very specific. Killing the brain and leaving the organs intact would be really difficult for somebody to do to himself. There is no way to guarantee it would work. Anything he tries could result in death, brain damage, or organ damage. Even shooting himself in the head in the ER is a crapshoot, so to speak. They may not be able to keep his body alive long enough to allow for organ donation, or he might actually survive it.

It's fiction, so you can do what you want, but it's not realistic.

flannelberry

Registered
Reaction score
Variant Frequencies said:
In order for somebody to be an organ donor, they must be brain dead. Brain damaged, even a vegetative state, is not enough. The criteria that must be met is very specific. Killing the brain and leaving the organs intact would be really difficult for somebody to do to himself. There is no way to guarantee it would work. Anything he tries could result in death, brain damage, or organ damage. Even shooting himself in the head in the ER is a crapshoot, so to speak. They may not be able to keep his body alive long enough to allow for organ donation, or he might actually survive it.

It's fiction, so you can do what you want, but it's not realistic.

We had a client do that (shoot himself in the parking lot) and by the time everything was done with law enforcement there was no option for organ donation.

Actually, that's the biggest problem with the scenario - any unintended/accidental/unexpected death goes through the ringer. The insulin one is an excellent suggestion but even that is going to make it unlikely that the person can be an organ donor because there may be a requirement - if this happens at home - that a coroner is called in. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to actually donate and in very few cases is there full donation - one or two things but I have never heard of "complete harvesting" except in the cases of expected deaths.

The other question is - how is the person going to be found if you don't call 911? Even if the person should be home and is foung to be "missing" and reported as such to the authoirties it takes a lot for them to be breaking doors in unless there is a really good reason (and even then it's rare).

The only way you could possibly stretch it is to have coincidental timing where he's just expired as someone has come to the door AND saw him collapsed. But (FWIW) you will lose readers like me because that's so unlikely and too contrived.

The other thing to take into account is that if this character is suicidal he's not going to be thinking coherently. The not wanting to traumatize people idea is nice -but it's not realistic. When people are suicidal they feel their very life is a trauma to those around them and that's why they kill themselves. They also don't want the family to worry - that's why they leave notes, make the body findable etc.

One possible way around that would be to have him more in the personality disordered realm where he is attention seeking but not really wanting to be dead, takes the OD, calls for help but the person doesn't get the message in time. By the time they do get it they call police but the guy is already dead - you might be able to have it all come together in that scenario.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I find it an unlikely scenario.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a way to intentionally induce a major brain aneurysm or stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.