PDA

View Full Version : Writing gives me the munchies.

Azure Skye
01-05-2007, 06:11 AM
When I'm brainstorming, which I've been doing for the past two days, I get the munchies. I'm talking serious food cravings here, especially salt. I get that way when I'm writing and I'm on a roll too. It's difficult to do when your hands are occupied, ya know. It's like I get so excited that all I think about is eating.

ACK! Someone stop me before I eat a whole bag of chips.

Does this happen to anyone else? Please reassure me I'm not weird.:tongue

katiemac
01-05-2007, 06:16 AM
I usually want food when I write, too. But it's more like an excuse to stop writing than actual cravings. Just another way to procrastinate if something's not working.

engmajor2005
01-05-2007, 06:24 AM
I find it difficult to write without something to sip or munch on. I especially like a good mellow tea or smooth coffee with chocolate or little thin Moravian cookies, or fruit.

Tiger
01-05-2007, 06:37 AM
I do herbal tea. It gives me the pause I need and won't cause me to crack my keyboard the way coffee would in those amounts.

kct webber
01-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Coffee/Mountain Dew (either one) and cigarettes--all I require.

PS--not a health nut.

rugcat
01-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I think cigarettes are the greatest thing for writing since sliced bread. Unfortunately I had to quit because they were killing me.

Willowmound
01-05-2007, 07:08 AM
I get ridiculously hungry after several hours' writing. And why shouldn't you get hungry? The brain needs fuel, and writing is vigorous brain-exercise!

I always drink tea while writing, but there's not much food in that...

alleycat
01-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Could be worse . . . sex gives me the munchies.

"Wow! That was great! Uh, would you like a sandwich?"

*slap*
*slap*

*slap*

JenNipps
01-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Ordinarily, I would say no, I don't get the munchies while writing although I do keep water or something drinkable at hand.

BUT....

Lately I've been really wanting popcorn when I'm writing. Any variety: kettle corn, cinnamon bun (YUM!!), regular (salted/buttered).

I don't know if it's wanting something for the sake of having something or like Katiemac suggested and has more to do with procrastinating.

Jadezuki
01-05-2007, 07:36 AM
-

PeeDee
01-05-2007, 08:53 AM
CINAMMON BUN POPCORN!?

Great Shiva, protect me! *wilts*

When I settle in for serious writing time, I usually make a pot of tea. Generally, the making of a pot of tea is what signals the start of a serious writing session. Sometimes, I'll keep something on hand to munch on for the thirty second breaks I take now and then to sort out my thoughts, but nothing much.

The problem is, I things salty and things greasy, but I have to be careful what I eat, because I hate sliming up my keyboard. Urk.

Kentuk
01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Think you're going to be a really big writer.

writerterri
01-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I can't eat when I write, sort of like walking and chewing gum for me. I do have to have drink though, cleans my palet and helps me proof read. On the other hand I can't write when I'm hungry either.

Simon Woodhouse
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I drink masses of tea when I'm writing it must be petrol for my brain.

VeggieChick
01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
coffee... every 2-3 hours, my brain shuts down and I need to get up to make a new cup of coffee. Munching too, usually junk food (so I tried not to keep it in the house anymore)

Lady Cat
01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I try to avoid the munchies when I'm writing, but somehow they always seem to find me. :D

I drink a lot of tea or water when I write and if I have to snack I go for the pretzels. They satisfy my craving for something both crunchy and salty, but they don't leave my fingers all greasy or slimey.

And Orville makes a Cinnabon popcorn that is the best thing to hit the microwave since . . . since . . . since the invention of the microwave!

Mmmmmm, Cinnabon. I know what I'm having when I get home from work!

imagoodgurl4
01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I like having coffee or water when I'm writing. And I always get the munchies for M&M's or some other chocolate.

Shadow_Ferret
01-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, I get the munchies when I write, but I think it's because I'm up at 11pm at night when I should be sleeping.

Heavily salted snacks are the best!

And beer.

Mmmm. Beer.

Shadow_Ferret
01-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Lately I've been really wanting popcorn when I'm writing. Any variety: kettle corn, cinnamon bun (YUM!!), regular (salted/buttered).

Good god! I think I'm going to be ill. Cinnabun popcorn? I can't even stand the kettle corn. First time I had it I thought it was going to be like the old fashioned kettle potato chips, thick, greasy and salty, but when I popped it in my mouth and tasted SWEET! Ew! Ptooey! What's wrong with this stuff?

KTC
01-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I can forget to eat when I'm writing. During real marathons I've gone 2 days without eating. I don't like doing anything while I'm writing. I lose my sense of self and don't feel the hunger.

Azure Skye
01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Think you're going to be a really big writer.

I got a tread mill for Christmas so, I hope not. :)

JenNipps
01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
CINAMMON BUN POPCORN!?

It is the BEST! :D

The problem is, I things salty and things greasy, but I have to be careful what I eat, because I hate sliming up my keyboard. Urk.

That's why you keep a papertowel or a damp cloth handy (like in your lap or over the arm of your chair) to wipe your hands on. :)

JenNipps
01-05-2007, 07:19 PM
I drink a lot of tea or water when I write and if I have to snack I go for the pretzels. They satisfy my craving for something both crunchy and salty, but they don't leave my fingers all greasy or slimey.

And Orville makes a Cinnabon popcorn that is the best thing to hit the microwave since . . . since . . . since the invention of the microwave!

Oh yeah. Forgot about the pretzels. Gotta keep those around too. :)

I found the Cinnabon popcorn at Drug Warehouse the other day. It was only a 2-bag box. *pout* I got the kettle corn there too, but the Cinnabon is WORLDS better. lol.

JenNipps
01-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Good god! I think I'm going to be ill. Cinnabun popcorn? I can't even stand the kettle corn. First time I had it I thought it was going to be like the old fashioned kettle potato chips, thick, greasy and salty, but when I popped it in my mouth and tasted SWEET! Ew! Ptooey! What's wrong with this stuff?

But you get the best of both worlds that way. Sweet and salty.

And, dude, you just don't know what you're missing with the cinnamon bun popcorn! lol.

inanna
01-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't think I would've finished my novel if it hadn't been for Skittles and Red Bull (and Starbucks Double-Shot Espressos. Those babies were Wheee!)

Not the healthiest of fuels. I'm hoping I can make a nice cup of tea work for me next time around.

engmajor2005
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
If you don't like kettle corn then you have problems. Your taste buds need recalibrating or something.

They have cinnabon popcorn? As if those cinnabon drinks weren't bad enough. What next; cocaine-laced Ghirardelli?

JenNipps
01-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Yup on the Cinnabon popcorn. It's Orville Redenbacher (sp??).

Siddow
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
My keyboard is filled with slivers of Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips. And ashes.

stormie
01-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Sweet and salty. Yup. Love chocolate covered pretzels. When I'm writing, and I stop to think out a scene or dialogue, that's when I have to reach for one of those, or a cup of hot cocoa (the real deal). I've had chocolate covered pototo chips, but I don't like them as much as the chocolate covered pretzels.

Azure Skye
01-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Sweet and salty. Yup. Love chocolate covered pretzels. When I'm writing, and I stop to think out a scene or dialogue, that's when I have to reach for one of those, or a cup of hot cocoa (the real deal). I've had chocolate covered pototo chips, but I don't like them as much as the chocolate covered pretzels.

Yum. Chocolate covered pretzels are so good. The first time I ever saw them I thought it had to be the most disgusting combination ever. But then I tasted one. Yeah, I'd marry it.

janetbellinger
01-06-2007, 12:12 AM
It could be thirst. I think we sometimes get dehydrated indoors, especially in artificially heated homes in the winter. Thirst goes unrecognized and masks itself as food craving instead. I get hungry after coming back from the gym but figure I can get away with eating then. Try drinking a big cold glass of cold water when you feel like munching. That might do it.

When I'm brainstorming, which I've been doing for the past two days, I get the munchies. I'm talking serious food cravings here, especially salt. I get that way when I'm writing and I'm on a roll too. It's difficult to do when your hands are occupied, ya know. It's like I get so excited that all I think about is eating.
ACK! Someone stop me before I eat a whole bag of chips.

Does this happen to anyone else? Please reassure me I'm not weird.:tongue

Del
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
No munchies. I even forget to eat at all. Foodless all day.

but...

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee

:Jump:

engmajor2005
01-06-2007, 01:09 AM
I keep a water bottle handy, and when I need to take a break I'll guzzle it down. Then, when it's empty, get up and fill it, and sit back down. When my session is done, I stand up, move around a bit, and then nature doesn't just call, she stops by uninvited.

Shadow_Ferret
01-06-2007, 01:53 AM
If you don't like kettle corn then you have problems. Your taste buds need recalibrating or something.

Well, first I'm a salty-snackaholic. I'm not big on sweets. Second, popcorn should only be served with salt and tons of butter. Nothing else. No carmel. No kettle. No Cinnabons. No FiddleFaddle. No CrackerJacks. That's just wrong.

janetbellinger
01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
It's rejection that sends me straight to the pantry though

MidnightMuse
01-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Kettle-corn is disgusting, but I'll stand in line for the cocaine-laced Ghirardelli :D

PeeDee
01-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Well, first I'm a salty-snackaholic. I'm not big on sweets. Second, popcorn should only be served with salt and tons of butter. Nothing else. No carmel. No kettle. No Cinnabons. No FiddleFaddle. No CrackerJacks. That's just wrong.

Ay-men, brother!

Although, I do have a profound weakness for that artificial cheesy popcorn that you can buy in huge bags for a dollar, or that comes as 1/3rd of popcorn tins around the holidays.

(Why the hell are those tins so full of carmel? Why can't I have a tin full of cheesy popcorn and regular popcorn, damn it? I'd be a happier man.)

Shadow_Ferret
01-06-2007, 02:55 AM
I forgot about cheesey popcorn. But that's salty, so that's OK. ;)

And I will admit to having had some popcorn that was coated with chocolate. That was very good. But I think you could coat anything in chocolate and it becomes good.

PeeDee
01-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Coca-Cola and chocolate do not go well together. Not one little bit.

Jenan Mac
01-06-2007, 03:04 AM
I owe my first novel to the fine folks at Pepperidge Farm. Without Milano cookies, I'd still be in rewrites. I named one of the local restaurants Milano's, in fact.
Funny thing is, now I can't eat them. It's like "No, I'm sorry, that book's done. Move along to Nantuckets or goldfish or something now."

rugcat
01-06-2007, 04:41 AM
Coca-Cola and chocolate do not go well together. Not one little bit.True. But good chocolate and dark beer...aah.

TrainofThought
01-06-2007, 05:12 AM
No munchies for me only smoke breaks and a drink sometimes.

stormie
01-06-2007, 05:13 AM
Coca-Cola and chocolate do not go well together. Not one little bit.
Oh, you haven't had a choco-cola cake. Mmmmm...delicious.

janetbellinger
01-06-2007, 05:27 AM
I just had a banana dipped in melted chocolate. Delicious.

Azure Skye
01-06-2007, 07:40 AM
All this talk of salty, cheesey popcorn is making me hungry and I'm not even writing.

Shadow_Ferret
01-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh, you haven't had a choco-cola cake. Mmmmm...delicious.

My wife makes diet coke cakes.

CBeasy
01-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Mountain Dew. Lots and lots of Mountain Dew.