PDA

View Full Version : Help

Branwyn
01-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Is this correct?

I stood by my kitchen windows overlooking the Sound watching the light glint off the freshly fallen snow. The water, competing for attention, shimmered, transforming into liquid silver.

Thanks

J. Weiland
01-04-2007, 11:05 PM
You need a comma after "Sound", and also it is a bit unclear what the water is competing with, though I think it must be the snow. Other than that, there is nothing wrong grammatically ... as far as I can tell.

C.bronco
01-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Is this correct?

I stood by my kitchen windows overlooking the Sound and watched the light glint off the freshly fallen snow. The water competed for attention, shimmered, and transformed into liquid silver.

Thanks

"I stood...and watched" otherwise it sounds like the windows were watching the light.

J. Weiland
01-04-2007, 11:10 PM
"I stood at my kitchen windows, looking at the Sound and the glinting light from the freshly fallen snow."

Is it you or the windows that overlook the sound?

Silver King
01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I stood by the kitchen windows and looked out at the sound. Sunlight glinted off newly fallen snow. The water, not to be outdone, shimmered and seemed to transform into liquid silver.

Branwyn
01-04-2007, 11:44 PM
I stood by my kitchen windows overlooking the Sound, watching the light glint off the freshly fallen snow. The water, competing for attention, shimmered, transforming into liquid silver.

Thanks

I stood by my kitchen windows, which overlooked the Sound. The light glistened off the newly fallen snow and I watched as the water shimmered, appearing to transform into liquid silver.

Thanks

Both overlook the Sound.

Silver King
01-05-2007, 12:18 AM
The sound in your sentence is referring to a type of water source, not the actual name for the body of water; the word shouldn't be capitalized. The same would be true for river, lake, etc.

J. Weiland
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
What if it is a specific sound, known among the locals as just the Sound?

Silver King
01-05-2007, 01:05 AM
What if it is a specific sound, known among the locals as just the Sound?
Then it's a nickname, not a proper name, and you'd capitalize The as well. The same would apply if you had a buddy who's known as, The Rat; unless you simply called him, Rat.

I hardly ever hear water called "sounds" except in northern areas of the US. In the south, we refer to them mostly as harbors or bays.

I often fish in two highly capital bodies of water: Charlotte Harbor and Tampa Bay. If someone asked where I was, and I said, the harbor or the bay, I wouldn't capitalize either one. If I had been at the house or in the car instead, I wouldn't use upper-case for those places, either.

MidnightMuse
01-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Here we call it Puget Sound, but we refer to it as the sound. Some do write The Sound, but it looks wrong to me.

Jamesaritchie
01-05-2007, 03:42 AM
If it's Pugent Sound, then Sound should be capitalized.

I stood by my kitchen windows, overlooking the Sound, watching the light glint off the freshly fallen snow. The water, competing for attention, shimmered, transforming into liquid silver.