Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Wait, don't answer that. :D

Seriously, though, sometimes I feel like a boring craftsperson in a room full of artists. I don't have a muse. I don't have special pre-writing rituals. I'm more practical than romantic when I manage my writing career (such as it is). I hated "The Artist's Way." I can't even say "my story is great" or "I have an incredible idea" with a straight face (I'm always in awe of people who have the self-confidence to say stuff like that aloud).

Instead, I just write, putting down one word after another. Finish story, edit, submit, repeat. I do believe that I'm a decent storyteller, and I'm always trying to improve. I adore writing, so I don't even have any inner love/hate drama when it comes to writing (save for the occasional, but now much quieter, inner critic). But my approach and attitude seem so workmanlike compared to other writers I read about. Does that mean I'll never be an "artist"? Or am I one and just not know it?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What you're doing sounds fine to me (and I didn't care much for The Artist's Way either). Really, when Melville was writing Moby Dick or Hemingway was writing short stories, they probably didn't feel much like an "artist" either. If you can write something worth reading, and something people enjoy, you can call yourself whatever you like.

Just some thoughts . . .

ac

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Anyone who puts pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) in order to produce something you and/or others might want to read, and you try your best to learn how to write well, you're a writer.

Every writer's approach is different. Some find writing in the evening their best time of day. Others have to read the newspaper first in the morning to get started writing. Still others need to have music playing while they write. And even the type of music varies from person to person.

Writing is subjective. There is nothing wrong with you or your approach.

Keep on writing!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
alleycat said:
What you're doing sounds fine to me (and I didn't care much for The Artist's Way either). Really, when Melville was writing Moby Dick or Hemingway was writing short stories, they probably didn't feel much like an "artist" either. If you can write something worth reading, and something people enjoy, you can call yourself whatever you like.

Just some thoughts . . .

ac

Good point. Although after a couple of drinks, I doubt Hemingway felt much of anything! :e2drunk:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Meh. I write prose and poetry, and paint--but there is nothing at all of the 'artiste' about me. I am also motivated by money and do not expect to ever write lit-her-ach-er. Want to join my 'hack and proud of it' club?

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just a working stiff who likes to write. Occasionally I think of myself as a bit of an artist in my other hobby, but really all I do is cut rocks into shapes and make them pretty. Nature is the artist.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe writing is both an art and a craft. The craft can be learned and polished, and a good product result which will make many readers happy. The art, however, is the touch of genius or inspiration that elevates good writing into great--the talent, rather than the skill. Many writers have a little of it and produce great, unforgettable moments. And a few have enough to produce the great, unforgettable books.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
MeowGirl said:
I don't have a muse. I don't have special pre-writing rituals. I'm more practical than romantic when I manage my writing career (such as it is). I hated "The Artist's Way." I can't even say "my story is great" or "I have an incredible idea" with a straight face (I'm always in awe of people who have the self-confidence to say stuff like that aloud).
Same here. To everything. Different strokes for different folks, but strictly for myself, I hate romantic-y mysticism about the writing process. Bottom line, a writing career is about hard work. And no matter how you dress it up in pink frilly clothes, hard work is not romantic.
Does that mean I'll never be an "artist"? Or am I one and just not know it?
Being an artist isn't about being artistic. It's about the final product. There are a zillion ways to get there; what's important is that you get there in the way that works best for you. Don't compare yourself to others--just do what you do, and see what happens.

- Victoria

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
veinglory said:
Meh. I write prose and poetry, and paint--but there is nothing at all of the 'artiste' about me. I am also motivated by money and do not expect to every write lit-her-ach-er. Want to join my 'hack and proud of it' club?

I submit to both the Trues and Glimmer Train (not the same stories, obviously). Do they cancel each other out when it comes to hack-dom? :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MeowGirl said:
Good point. Although after a couple of drinks, I doubt Hemingway felt much of anything! :e2drunk:
His "ending" could have been a bit better as well.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
MeowGirl said:
:D

"The Artist's Way." I can't even say "my story is great" or "I have an incredible idea" Does that mean I'll never be an "artist"? Or am I one and just not know it?

1. I hated "The Artist's Way." 2. When a writer says his own story is great, it's probably lousy. 3. There are no great ideas, only great execution. 4. Forget being an "artist." Just be a writer.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Jamesaritchie said:
4. Forget being an "artist." Just be a writer.

That takes a lot of pressure off. Thanks. I'd rather be a writer -- less drama!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
C.bronco said:
What is "The Artist's Way?" Living in a garret?

It's a self-help creativity guide by Julia Cameron. It's also one of the few books that I've thrown across the room.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Jamesaritchie said:
1. I hated "The Artist's Way." 2. When a writer says his own story is great, it's probably lousy. 3. There are no great ideas, only great execution. 4. Forget being an "artist." Just be a writer.

Jamesaritchie can always ground me when I fly too high - I know I'm working at my craft when I smile & nod at one of his posts - like this one. Gotta agree with him! (Although great ideas may also exist, no idea is worth anything without great execution)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
MeowGirl said:
It's a self-help creativity guide by Julia Cameron. It's also one of the few books that I've thrown across the room.
Now my interest is piqued! What does it suggest? Spontaneous interpretive dance? Desktop feng shui?
The only self-help book I ever bought was "Cooking Seafood for Dummies." Though I never fed seafood to dummies, I learned how long I needed to boil a lobster (no offense intended to Daves).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C.bronco said:
Now my interest is piqued! What does it suggest? Spontaneous interpretive dance? Desktop feng shui?
It's a little hard to describe. It's kind of a New Age "finding your inner artist" sort of thing, with specific writing exercises to overcome your "self-limiting self" (so to speak). It's probably of more use to someone who wants to use writing or keeping a journal as a form of therapy.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Having dramatic angst about your Art is a good way to get me to whack you upside the head and give you a nice cup of ShutTheBadWordUp.

Seriously. I am eternally happy when someone just....gets on with it. Just write. Love what you write, care about it, but you're not married to it and you don't have to whisper sweet nothings into its ear. Just do what you're doing. Write, edit, submit, repeat.

That's what I do. I Do Not Get angst. What on earth is the point?

If you want artistic angst, go get season tickets to your local community theater. You'll be up to your knees in it, more than you can shovel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.