Seeking collaberation and representation

Joe Principe

Hello All,
I have an interesting true story about a prison guard who went to prison due to corruption and transformed himself into a stand-up convict. I am that person, and I now seek representation and collaboration to initiate a book and/or screenplay deal. I do possess writing skills, however, I know nothing about the business. I will be bold enough to say that I command an authority of knowledge about all aspects of our prison subculture. I now know the arcane dealings that occur on both sides of the bars. I lived both. Please read the following News article to get an in-depth view of my experience. Everyone that reads it says it is an interesting read. Half of it is about me and the other half is about the largest death penalty case in the history of the United States, by which I was precariously swallowed.

http://www.westword.com/issues/2005-05-05/feature_1.html

I’m free now, and available to devote all my attention to a project about this or any prison related piece. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Still Standing,
Joe Principe

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Principe said:
... I do possess writing skills, however, I know nothing about the business...

Joe, since you have the writing skills, and first hand knowledge of the subject why not write it yourself, and learn the business end while writing. You can hang out here, there are several forums that are helpful, and the people are the best. There are other websites you can check out, and a multitude of writing books that will help you learn the business end of writing. A good place to start might be Jenna's thread, I think it's titled Learn NonFiction Writing with Momma Jenna. Good luck with your project.

Nita

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Joe, I'm Frank Baron, the guy who steered you to this site. I'm going to bend that rule I mentioned to you about posting the same message on multiple boards. (But I'm allowed because I'm a mod here. ;) )

I'm going to copy this thread over to the Nonfiction Writing board. Depending on response, or lack thereof there, I might try Mentors and Writing Partners in a day or three. Keep tabs on both threads for a couple of days lest you miss a response.

Do consider Nita's advice. There is certainly a University's-worth of information about all aspects of writing here at AW and it's clear you can formulate coherent sentences (always a plus for a writer).

Good luck and see you around the boards.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write, Joe. I also agree that you should give the writing a shot for yourself, learn the biz here, and even improve the craft, get crits, help, mentorship, etc. I read the article you posted. Fascinating story. I hope to have the opportunity to read more about it when you write the book!

Trish