PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooler Etiquette

Dawn R
01-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm fairly new to the water cooler and looking for advice. Is it considered appropriate to ask other members if they would read an advanced reading copy of your book? Or is that a no-no?

I can't help but notice that some members of this site have very respectable credentials. Credentials that would look jolly good on the front cover of my book! At the moment, I am being asked by my publisher for suggestions as to who they could send advance reading copies to. Is it appropriate to send a brief e-mail to another member telling them about the book and asking if they would consider reading it, or not. I quite understand that most writers are too busy and will refuse. But should I even ask? Or is that bad form for this type of board?

Just trying to avoid getting locked in the broom cupboard for a month for inappropriate behaviour!

alleycat
01-03-2007, 10:48 AM
There's no harm in asking, but, as you mentioned, sometimes people won't have the time even if they were willing. Just keep your request professional and you shouldn't have a problem asking them.

MacAllister
01-03-2007, 10:53 AM
What Alleycat said. :) Certainly you can ask. And regardless, hang out and get to know folks. There are some wonderful people on the boards. Even the writers are mostly an okay bunch.

Dawn R
01-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks Alleycat and MacAllister for your advice. I shall approach the publisher next to see if American and UK 'names' are what they want and if it is, will approach our illustrious ones.

I sneak about all over the boards (once a lurker, always a lurker :D ) but can be found publicly over on the newbie board amongst the welcoming committee. I figure I can't get into to much trouble over there, and it feels like I'm doing something useful in return for all the info and help on this site. Besides, none of the newbies even know where the broom cupboard is. Doesn't matter what I say - they can't lock me in!

PeeDee
01-03-2007, 12:22 PM
The broom cupboard isn't so bad, once the voices of dead children stop tickling behind your ear. Actually, it's a cozy place for a nap.

JennaGlatzer
01-03-2007, 12:40 PM
And there's cake under the 14th floorboard from the left!

Might be a little stale. I'm just sayin'.

Dawn, you're A-OK. :)

PeeDee
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
She always says that to me too before I'm beaten with emory boards (What? I have no idea why. Go ask your mother.) and thrown into the cupboard.

I'm just saying. You know. Be careful.

Not that there's anything wrong. We Are All Very Happy Here, Thank You.

JennaGlatzer
01-03-2007, 12:58 PM
PeeDee, you're A-OK.

(Shadow Ferret! Fetch the emory boards, would you, friend? The very scratchy ones.)

Shadow_Ferret
01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Your wish is my command.

Would you like the wooden ones or those nifty painful diamond-encrusted metal ones?

:D

MidnightMuse
01-03-2007, 07:32 PM

Not anymore *urp*

Hmm, where's that Alka-seltzer thread . . .

Jaycinth
01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Don't open the trap door to the attic. Maybe someone just HANGING around up there.

...and don't look Pee Dee in the eyes.

Birol
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey! You promised not to tell that I was conducting research up!

Dawn R
01-04-2007, 04:07 AM
No offence meant to any of our Jewish members. I meant - oh you know what I meant, guys. I've edited the post. Sorry. I'll just go and lock myself in the broom cupboard again. (sigh) It's starting to feel like home.

JennaGlatzer
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
...or those nifty painful diamond-encrusted metal ones?

Ooooh. Those.

PeeDee
01-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Good lord! That's diabolic! Help! HELP! Someone call the ASPCA on my behalf! Get this waffle woman away from me, and her little Ferret too!

4rum
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
hmmmmmmm........ sounds like PeeDee's not in Kansas anymore.

Hey, how long can I keep this avatar? ... and do I have to have it dry cleaned or anything when I return it to the pool?

J.S Greer
01-07-2007, 02:28 PM

Might be a little stale. I'm just sayin'.

That's not cake.:e2cry:

Bartholomew
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Good lord! That's diabolic! Help! HELP! Someone call the ASPCA on my behalf! Get this waffle woman away from me, and her little Ferret too!

*Crashes through the roof in his Mech and stomps on PeeDee, thereby saving him from Jenna and the ferret.*

Pamster
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
This is something I would appreciate too Dawn, thank you for asking about it. But the way I see it you gotta get in print to get copies of your hardcopy work to send out to people to review. Speaking of those emory boards Jenna, how many did you get altogether? I thought they looked awesome, I would want one with a book, they were really cool! :D In another topic I bumped up clicky pens sounded like a favorite, I wonder anyone here had those with a run on their books? :D