Representation and outstanding unsolicited queries

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I have a couple of snail mail and a handful of email queries outstanding, all unsolicited. Is it proper to contact them and let them know I have an offer, just so they don't spend their time reading? In this case, I'm talking about fairly recent ones, not email queries from nine months ago. I think I can safely assume those are rejections.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
If you intend to accept the offer, 100% yes, let them know. If you're not sure yet, I'd probably contact the ones you're most interested in and let them know that you've received an offer but haven't yet accepted it, would they like to review your material and consider it or just pass? The ones you're not too excited about, I might wait until you've made a decision to let them know... It depends on how many we're talking about and how you feel about all of the possibilities.

What that even remotely helpful? :]

kk

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Depends, on factors, like who the offer is from and who the queries are out to.

If the offer is your dream deal, then accept it and tell the others. If the offer has you thinking then I don't believe there's any harm in waiting.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
It's not the other solicited partials and fulls I'm concerned about. I've already contacted all of them. It's the unsolicited queries I've sent that I'm wondering about. Is it polite to let them know not to waste their time, or should I just wait and say something only if any of them respond positively?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I did not contact any agents whose queries were still out when I accepted representation. I withdrew my partials and fulls via email and telephone. The queries I handled as they came in i.e. declining to send a partial or full because of the offer of representation and communicating that fact via email (as you mentioned).
Hope that helps.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Queries? Not requested material? Nah, there's no need to contact the agent. If the agent does request material, just tell them thank you and you've accepted an offer.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ORION said:
I did not contact any agents whose queries were still out when I accepted representation. I withdrew my partials and fulls via email and telephone. The queries I handled as they came in i.e. declining to send a partial or full because of the offer of representation and communicating that fact via email (as you mentioned).
Hope that helps.

Yes, that's exactly what I did.
The funny this is that one agent with an outstanding partial - and she had been sitting on it for several months - replied by return of post - with a rejection!
One agent - and I'll name her because she was the only one and I thought this was wonderful - replied saying "This is GREAT news! Congratulations!" She was Jacky Sachs, from Bookends agency.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Jacky did that to me too when I communicated that I had obtained representation! She is one classy lady!
BTW aruna I left a comment on your blog.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
aruna said:
One agent - and I'll name her because she was the only one and I thought this was wonderful - replied saying "This is GREAT news! Congratulations!" She was Jacky Sachs, from Bookends agency.

Jenny Rappaport did the same to me.