Hello, I am wondering about LULU.About the Format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterEThoughts

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leonbasin.net
Hello, I am ready to publish my novel. I have published it, but found out, that the format is wrong, and other things are not correct. I am wondering exactly how I can fix the format. I would like to talk to someone, who has published with LuLu, and might be able to help me.
Thank You!

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
It might help to give more specific details as to what's wrong with the formatting. As I recall, Lulu wants your manuscript in PDF format, right? What issues do you need to fix?

MisterEThoughts

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leonbasin.net
Well, when I send them the file in word, it messed up my pages. It is a poetry book, so what happens is some of the words go on other pages and some of the titles go on the other. Lulu, actually converts it into the PDF file. Therefore, I am not sure if that is the problem. Therefore, some of the words are scattered on different pages. I have poems on each page. I have 90 poems, thus... I have 90 pages. The problem is some of the words from another poem go on another page. And so on...

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
MisterEThoughts said:
Lulu, actually converts it into the PDF file. Therefore, I am not sure if that is the problem.

Yes, that is the problem. For poetry (and for anything, really) you're better off doing the conversion yourself. CutePDF Writer works like a charm and it's free.

markchandler

Registered
Reaction score
I published The Laughter File through lulu.com, I definitely would recommend converting your file to pdf FIRST, checking it thoroughly and THEN uploading.

Hope this helps.

David Wisehart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidwisehart.com
I just published my verse play, Valentino, with Lulu.

I formated the book in Word for Mac and converted to a PDF file (using the print command). I think this is the best way to go.

My verse play required very specific formatting (you can check out the free preview for my book to see what I mean), and I didn't want to trust Lulu's Word-to-PDF conversion.

I did need to learn some new tricks with Word (mirror pages, gutters, alternating headers, how to create a 6x9 document, etc.), but the Word help files got me through it.

If you're using Word and need some technical advice, I might be able to help, but be very specific in your questions. What specifically did you do and what were the results?

It sounds like maybe you need to insert page breaks.

Or maybe you converted an 8.5x11 file down to 6x9 and the poems spilled onto subsequent pages.

It's a little difficult to tell from your question.

euphrosene

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosenelabon.com
My print books have been out a while but recently I put some titles on Lulu.

Although the formats are a bit odd and rather lose the point of the pocket guides, the people there are very helpful (even when I asked dim questions!)

Hope this helps, Euphrosene

MisterEThoughts

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leonbasin.net
Thank you all... I really appreciate it. I will try everything you have provided here. Well, the problem David is that my poetry goes into other pages. Here is an example: http://www.lulu.com/content/604589

It is everywhere. Now I found out, that the font is too small. I also, believe that I need to add Acknowledgment page as well as Table of Contents.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
MisterEThoughts said:
Thank you all... I really appreciate it. I will try everything you have provided here. Well, the problem David is that my poetry goes into other pages. Here is an example: http://www.lulu.com/content/604589

It is everywhere. Now I found out, that the font is too small. I also, believe that I need to add Acknowledgment page as well as Table of Contents.

Yes, your text is microscopic. Is your Word file on 6x9 inch paper, or is it 8.5x11? If the later, you need to change it.

MisterEThoughts

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leonbasin.net
Yea, I believe it's on 6x9 The font originally is 10 inchs.. yea, I would definitely need to change it. Thank You!

What about getting an ISBN? What about making the copyright law page?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get an ISBN until you've polished and perfected it, because once you get that, you'll be locked in. And you don't need one if you're only going to sell it thru lulu.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
No, you're not locked in, even with an ISBN, you can always upload a new edition without any problems. As long as it's the same book and not a major rewrite. I mean, if you find typos or formatting problems, you sure can upload a fixed edition to Lulu.

But I still wouldn't do it until you get it right, because you don't want to sell it that way..

Status
Not open for further replies.