weird facts or a bunch of bunk?

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
a couple of daze ago a guy told me about having to have his t.v. degloused (sp?), which is basically having it demagnetized. he said this was a result of his t.v. being over 32" (and he doubts this applies to plasma t.v.s), that the earth's gravitational pull screws with the picture after so long sometimes. after deglousing, it worked fine. he also said he had to have his car degloused.

fact or bunk?

my wife told me it's illegal to give pellicans (and probably any bird, really) alka-seltzers because it makes the bird's stomach explode as a result of birds inability to burp.

fact or bunk?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Bunk. The only time a tv has to be demagged is when some kid runs a magnet over the screen and it get all these funny rainbow designs in it.

Hmmm...I was a mechanic for 20 years and have never heard of demagging a car. You can depolarize an old automobile regulator, though. You might as well buy your car one of those ionized bracelets so it'll feel better, eh?

Don't know about the bird thing.

Tri

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Modern TVs (and monitors) have deguassing coils that automatically deguass the screen every time it's turned on. As Tri pointed out, you won't need to worry about it unless you have rainbow colors on the screen.

I do remember when monitors came with a deguassing buttom that was used from time to time. I don't think new ones even have it (not that I've looked).

I don't know about the bird thing. It's generally illegal to be cruel to an animal, wild or domestic. I assume giving them Alka-Seltzer might qualify. Beats me though.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What if the pelican asks for Alka-Seltzer? Then what do you do?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you find a talking pelican, please ask him about that baby delivery thing.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rosemerry said:
Storks deliver babies not pelicans. :)
Who said storks deliver pelicans?

Maryn, unable to resist

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
Sorry. The pelican politely refused to take the Alka-Seltzer. Accused me of attempted murder. And yes it was a talking pelican.

Well now we know the answer to this on! :D

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Yes, but pelicans hand off their babies to the storks first (fascinating to see, by the way; Animal Planet did a hidden-camera special on it last March). Then and only then does the stork place the infant under a cabbage leaf. It's nature's awesome grandeur at its finest, I'm telling you. Makes me proud to be an American.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
They create all the buzz. Nature's Papparazzi.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Seagulls, not Pelicans, explode when you feed them Alka-Seltzer tablets. One bird needs to eat 4-6 tablets, depending on size.

And dead fish explode when you force M-80's into their mouths, then light the fuses.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I know. I have loved the exploding whale video for as long as computers have been able to show it to me. I thank Youtube for giving me the means to share it with the world.

The Commatose Kidd

color me gone
Registered
Reaction score
i've heard humming birds die if given alka-selzer because they can't burp.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
ah, good stuff to know, especially since so many dead whales run aground in my parking lot. :) (how many m80's would it take, you suppose?)

i talk to a lot of people in the course of an average day. that and the fact that i must have 'sucker' written across my forehead, tends to bring everyone's tall tales (no pun against that whale ~ why they just didn't call harold the magician to bring his disappearing tarp with him is beyond me) out. i'll keep an ear out for more bogusness or half-truthifyin'. plus, it being winter, i suppose a lot of people have nothing better to do than fool ol' preyer. :)

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Birds can't eat rice...

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
preyer said:
ah, good stuff to know, especially since so many dead whales run aground in my parking lot. :) (how many m80's would it take, you suppose?)

i talk to a lot of people in the course of an average day. that and the fact that i must have 'sucker' written across my forehead, tends to bring everyone's tall tales (no pun against that whale ~ why they just didn't call harold the magician to bring his disappearing tarp with him is beyond me) out. i'll keep an ear out for more bogusness or half-truthifyin'. plus, it being winter, i suppose a lot of people have nothing better to do than fool ol' preyer. :)

BTW, did you know the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?