Self-bannination - HOW?

Reaction score
If one wished to commit such an ungodly act of self abuse on these fora, how would one go about it?

Is there a complicated key press menu to go through, too clever for my female brain? Or would I contact a modulator through the telecommunications system known as 'PMing'?

And is it possible to have your IP blocked so you can't even lurk? Yes, I am that addicted to AW. Take it a compliment to yourselves, guvnors; it comes from a loving place, corr blimey and no messin', I tells ya!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
It wouldn't do any good to get your IP blocked, SP. Sooner or later (sooner, I'm bettin'), you'd be banging on a neighbor's door, likely carrying a gun, demanding use of their computer and internet connection. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And is it possible to have your IP blocked so you can't even lurk?

I forget the name or just where it is in the file system, but there's a file in Windows where you can put IP's you want blocked, and your browser won't even try to load them. This is commonly used for ba subpages people would rather not load, but you can put AW's IP address in, and you won't be able to get to it with any browser!:cry:

Reaction score
Ah, but then I could UNblock it, no? I don't trust myself. If I'm going to get my WIP done soon, I want to ban myself and take the ability to view AW out of my own hands.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly suggest you use the same self control you use to NOT race over to James Purefoy's house and molest him. :D

Reaction score
Not having his address helps.

But you said JAMES PUREFOY!

Another form of self-abuse beckons...;)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
One does indeed contact a modulator, who then goes and puts you in the self-exiled user group. Just let me know if you're serious.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
can you also help with drinking or drugs or eating sweets? or is there a point where self-control and individual will has to take over?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
;) Ah Scarlet, I don't think you need to self ban...besides you may have a question you need to ask that is of importance concerning your writing or may need to contribute something of importance...sounds like you are ready to finish your WIP. I think your Burp and Wee Wee post indicated this and was your last hurray...so get to work and Good Luck :whip:

hugs kimmi

Reaction score
What exactly is your problem, William? Do you have to be rude in EVERY thread in which you appear?

Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
;) Ah Scarlet, I don't think you need to self ban...besides you may have a question you need to ask that is of importance concerning your writing or may need to contribute something of importance...sounds like you are ready to finish your WIP. I think your Burp and Wee Wee post indicated this and was your last hurray...so get to work and Good Luck :whip:

hugs kimmi

A very good reason why I should be banned, I think.

Plus, I can't stay away from this place. ;) I have no self-control when it comes to AW.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
scarletpeaches said:
What exactly is your problem, William? Do you have to be rude in EVERY thread in which you appear?

how was i rude? i simply find it odd that someone who feels an activity is to the detriment of their well-being would need some outside system implemented to save them from themselves.

Reaction score
Because I'm addicted to this site. Well, not really...it's just I feel like it's too tempting to say to myself, "I'll just check PMs, browse the net for a bit." 'A bit' always turns into far too long.

There's only a handful of sites I visit; this is definitely my 'favourite', so...if I cut off access to this one, I'll have a lot more time on my hands to write, rather than talking about writing.

Other people have self-banned, I see, and it seems to work as a method of kicking yourself up the arse and working.

It's not that I can't cope without the net; I did for over eight months this year. But I didn't have internet access at home so there wasn't anything I could do about it. Now I do, so...it's nice to say you trust yourself, but I'd rather remove the 'temptation' to waste time completely. Just for a month or so. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said:
A very good reason why I should be banned, I think.

Plus, I can't stay away from this place. ;) I have no self-control when it comes to AW.

:Hug2: Try for a week and set a date to do so if you fail, we'd miss you!

Reaction score
Thankee kindly, but I'm only talking a month. The reason I'm considering this is I haven't written much of note for a while. Previously, I was quite happy to surf the net and write at the same time, but as I'm slipping into bad habits, I feel like a self-ban would force me to write until I wanted to, and when I want to write, the net will no longer be such a big temptation. So a month should do it; I'm about 25k away from finishing my WIP and the rest of the month (if there's anything of January left) can be devoted to making a start on another project I have in mind.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peaches, darling. Buy a timer. Only $4.95 at Wal-Mart (sorry I don't know where you'd have to go but I'm sure they have them there)(if not, write me - I'll send you mine)

Get one with a nice bell. Write for an hour. <ding> Surf for an hour. <ding> Write. <ding> Surf. <ding>

Purely selfishness on my part. I like having you here and I miss you when you go. Buy a timer. For you, for me, for everyone. :)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
ScarletPeaches, another alternative that's worked for members is to find a buddy on AW to do writing challenges with. Good Word and I boot each other sometimes with dares about who can produce the most words in our WIPs by a set deadline.

I always lose. Then I have to send forfeit gifts, like bottles of local wine.

But you can structure it any way you want, too.

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I'll give it some thought.

AFTER draft one is complete! :D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm actually a believer in doing whatever it takes, Peaches. That's why we created the self-ban option.

If I wanted to quit smoking, it'd be smart of me not to have any cigs in the house, eh? So this is the same sort of thing, really.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
You can also join one of the goal threads. We have a really great group of folks down in Mysteries in Thrillers(headed by the lovely Good Word) and we check in daily with our word counts.

You could reward yourself daily with a new shot of James. :D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Resist the urges and go write. I know, easier enough said than done. But the downside of flipping on the internet or AW for long hours each day is that one day age and reality will catch up to you. Think of how you'll feel at forty or fifty when you wake up and realize you haven't accomplished what you've always wanted.

The realism of failure sucks when you come to realize how much time was wasted on pursuits that offer little comfort in comparison to what could be accomplished.

Signing off again...

Reaction score
Well I've PM'd MacAllister, so my drama queenery will soon be at an end. Temporarily. :)

I might even get some work done; I never know my luck.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, goody. Now we can talk about her. :D

(Write well, Scarletpeaches. I hope MacAllister gave you an e-mail addy in case you need to come back early.)