PDA

View Full Version : My New Year's Resolution--Join Me!

Stacia Kane
12-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I hope it's okay to post this here, but I've made a NY resolution that I thought you guys might like.

Every time I buy a book in 2007, I will buy a second book to go with it. Or rather, I will buy one extra book every time I go to the bookstore.

This "extra" book will be by an author I haven't read before. It may be a first book by a new author, or it may not. But the point is, whether the book was recommended to me or it just looked interesting, I'm not leaving the bookstore without at least one book by an author I haven't read before.

I'll try to focus on first books by new authors, but that isn't always possible here, because we tend not only to get books after their US release, but sometimes not at all, and stores here don't seem to carry back catalogs or non-best-sellers as much as they do in the states.

I'm trying to avoid bestsellers, book club choices, or award winners. (I can buy them, but not as my "resolution" book.) I want genre. I want midlist. I want to give those authors a sale, hopefully a recommend, and broaden my own reading base as well.

I've put this on my blog (http://decemberquinn.blogspot.com/2006/12/my-early-new-years-resolution.html) and I'm hoping more people join in, give recommendations, take recommendations, etc. I plan to post them about once a month.

It's not a book club, really, because we won't be all reading a book and discussing it. I'm just hoping to have some fun!

giftedrhonda
12-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Nice idea, and good way to support authors who don't get as much press! That's a great resolution, and as best as I can afford it, I'm game to play, too!

Rane
12-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Ooh, I love buying books! Count me in also. :)

Chickadee
01-02-2007, 08:50 AM
As long as I can afford it, I'm in too! Actually, when I bought several of my family's gifts this year, I bought a book by an author I'd never heard of and I found myself enjoy it, Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow.

Jenan Mac
01-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Great idea! Any excuse for more books.

PeeDee
01-04-2007, 11:36 AM
What a wonderful idea! Now, is this going to be premeditated, or do you wait until you're in the store with first book in hand before you scan the shelves for something to be the second book?

moth
01-04-2007, 06:05 PM
This is a great idea. I'm so in! :Thumbs:

Stacia Kane
01-05-2007, 02:42 AM
Wow, thanks everyone!

Well, PeeDee, I'm not really sure. I'm hoping we can all start recommending books, but I figure if I don't have a recommendation I'll just find something that looks interesting and take it home. Obviously we'll have to just pick stuff sometimes or there won't be anything to recommend. (I thought of focusing on stuff from the AW bookshelf but honestly, we should be buying those anyway right?)

rosemarykenndal
01-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Definatly in, I need to broaden my horizons *nods*

Meerkat
01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
This gives me a great idea...every time I visit the bookstore, I shall slip a volume from my overladen home collection onto their shelves. I guess that had best be a USED book store, and I'll do you all a favor by writing "25 cents" on the inside cover. Spring cleaning! Yeah!!

tenpenynail
01-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Count me in also.

Is this the thread where we'll show and tell?

Thanks

jodiodi
01-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I'll try as much as I can. Between work, school, my husband's kids, and my own writing, I'll try to work in a book I've never heard of at least once a month.

It's a great idea. Thanks for inspiring me.

Soccer Mom
01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
It's a wonderful idea. I started doing this late last year (not this specifically, but just trying to hunt out a new author each time I went to the store) and I've found lots of authors. I even found one that I absolutely loved. Then I found out that it was someone I've been reading for years under another pen name. :D Heh heh. I'm in.

Stacia Kane
01-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Anybody been to a bookstore yet?

I did grab a book, but it turned out to be not what I was looking for--it was a TV bookclub choice over here, The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. Not genre, of course, since bookclubs never pick genre.

It wasn't bad, but absolutely riddled with coninuity errors. Serious continuity errors, too. I blogged about them, but basically, people's ages change constantly, their clothes change...and once the author mentions a meal, then immediately in the next chapter says it never happened and gives us an entirely different sequence of events.

It's not a clever device either, it's a genuine goof.

Soccer Mom
01-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Ooh, I hate continuity errors. I'm a fiend for those details. Haven't been to a bookstore yet. Next week for sure.