Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Er, that's my question, really. Why aren't there more of these?

I love the idea both of a high-production value Star Trek fanfiction series (which is essentially what this is) and I love the idea of a free podcasted radio drama, more or less. I listened to thirty or forty seconds of the first episode and I'm hooked. I've just dumped them on all on my iPod.

This is brilliant.

(To me anyway, you can please yourselves :) )

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
There's a cartoon Star Trek series, a la the STar Wars Clone Wars cartoon which is in the works. It looks interesting. There's a Star TRek movie being made by J.J. Abrams.

A new Star Trek series would be enjoyable, if they have the sense to give the writers a bit of a free hand this time. I'd like to see a new Star Trek series, actually.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see a new Star Trek series, movie, anything -- as long as Berman wasn't involved. They can use the best writers in the biz, but as long as he's in control it'll turn out terrible, IMO.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Luckily, Rick Berman and Paramount have "parted ways"

Which, in my optimistic imagination means that they took him out back, put a hood on his head, beat him for a bit, and then broke his kneecaps and threw him into the deep part of the river. And then took potshots at him whenever he tried to come up for air.

I can dream.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Although I haven't checked the link yet, and although I love the original Star Trek, I've gotten less and less enthusiastic over each new project that came out, I do love the idea of radio dramas. To me there is nothing more exciting than turning off the lights, sittingin the dark and listening to a radio drama. I love the old time ones, like The Shadow, Chandu the Magician, Inner Sanctum and such, and I'd listen to a Star Trek radio drama, for sure.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It's not an official radio drama, obviously, it's more or less fanfiction. The thing I love about it, and well-written Star Trek fanfiction (of which there is currently none, really) is that I have all the ships and species and planets and so on inside my head. So when a radio drama tells me there's a Klingon, I see a Klingon just fine, as real and interesting as if it were on der TeeVee.

Likewise, a really well written serial of Star Trek stories.

Anyway, mostly I wish there were more audio things on the internet. If not necessarily radio dramas, then spoken word books. I think I'm going to talk to Myne Editor and see if we can't do some sort of spoken-word release every two weeks this summer, along with the serialized chapbook. It'd be fun.

And you should listen to some of these episodes, Ferret. They're actually pretty enjoyable.

sleeburg27

Hi! I'm the founder and executive producer of Pendant Productions, and the creator of Star Trek: Defiant.

Saw the link posted here and just thought I'd drop by and thank you for listening.

Also, since you were looking for more modern radio dramas, I'd like to invite you to check out our website proper at

http://www.pendantaudio.com

We've got a whole mess of shows, featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, James Bond, Indiana Jones and, of course, Star Trek. We've also got an original show done in the style of the original radio dramas entitled "Umket Industries Presents: The Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater". It's sort of a lighthearted aerial sci-fi adventure show.

And we've got at least three brand new shows debuting in 2007 so there's plenty more to come. And we're always looking for more people to help out, so if you're interested, poke around the site and the information on how to join is up there. We're also accepting scripts for an original anthology show, so to my fellow writers out there, if you'd like to experiment with writing radio plays (it takes some getting used to :) and want to submit your script for possible production in our show to hear it all fleshed out with actors, sound effects, music, etc, then by all means please do! We always need more scripts. You'll find the details about submitting scripts here:

http://www.pendantaudio.com/seminar.php#submit

Anyway, thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy our shows!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hi! Neat! It was late and I couldn't find an active link on the Defiant page which took me back to Pendant Productions, but admittedly, I didn't work very hard at it.

I'm enjoying Defiant no end. I have a little difficulty imaging a Superman radio show (but then, it's only because I haven't heard it yet) so I think that'll go find a home on my Ipod too. I'll be curious to see how it comes out.

(addendum: have listened to a little bit of Superman. Your Supergirl sounds remarkably like Alicia Silverstone.)

I like the idea of doing an original audio anthology. What fun. If I had a script, I'd send it to you for sure. Maybe I'll tinker with one, between other deadlines.

Anyway, very happy you stopped by, Mister Bridges. Don't be a stranger!

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
sleeburg27 said:
http://www.pendantaudio.com

We've got a whole mess of shows, featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, James Bond, Indiana Jones and, of course, Star Trek. We've also got an original show done in the style of the original radio dramas entitled "Umket Industries Presents: The Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater". It's sort of a lighthearted aerial sci-fi adventure show.

Hey, cool! I'm going to have to check it out after work, but I think I may have found a new favorite website!

And welcome, hope you become a regular contributor here.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
So... did we ever discover if this is an officially licensed deal, or one of those illegal fanfiction things?

While I've never been a huge fan of them in the past, I'd definitely enjoy it if radio dramas came back; I think there's an excellent opportunity in podcasting for it. There's so much good work that could be adapted and really brought to life from the public domain, especially -- I'd *pay* for podcast dramas based around some of my favorite fairytales.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't suspect it's officially licensed. It's just that "illegal" fanfiction stuff. :)

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
For fans of radio drama all BBC radio shows including a huge amount of drama, short stories etc are available live online as well as for a week through the Listen Again feature. Most of the radio drama is on radio 4 (just click on the image) though there is some stuff on radio 3. There is also a ton of good stuff including old repeats/comedy/classics/crime on the BBC 7 website, also available through the homepage (only for drama/scripted shows) I would be lost without it especially BBC Radio 7 - and it's all free!

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

For those interested in writing radio drama, some hints and tips here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/tips_radiodrama.shtml

You can also download free software form the BBC Writersroom.

Last edited:

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, endless rewrite!

I'm afraid of realplayer, unfortunately, but I'll see if I can find a "safe" alternative. :)

PeeDee said:
I don't suspect it's officially licensed. It's just that "illegal" fanfiction stuff.

Curses!!! I'll still poke around, I like the idea of the original dramas... and the libertarian in the family may or may not care either way, depending. I can never tell until I broach a particular subject with him.

ETA: Assuming it is illegal fanfiction, the sheer chutzpah of this site is amazing, by the way. I can't imagine putting that much work into something I could never really call my own. And it's unfortunate in our country that inventiveness and determination displayed here probably won't be rewarded because of copyright laws.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
PeeDee said:
Er, that's my question, really. Why aren't there more of these?
Uh...because they're in violation of a whole lot of copyrights and trademarks? Paramount is pretty litigious about this sort of thing, and I believe Marvel is also. They haven't been caught, but if they were, I bet they'd be on the receiving end of some pretty nasty legal letters.

- Victoria

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Has Paramount ever gone after a fanfiction production of any sort, be it a Star Trek fan film (of which there are buckets) or written stories (buckets more, many bad) or in this case, radio drama?

A number of years ago, Simon & Schuster (the official Star Trek publisher. Er. I think it's them, anyway) published a book which listed fan web-sites. A number of the sites they listed were fanfiction sites, or Hub websites which made it easy to find good quality Star Trek fanfiction series.

Marvel and DC can both be pretty vicious about it (they're vicious about a lot of things) but Paramount seems to turn a blind eye.

So far as I know, anyway.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Those fine folk, who really are wonderful, are also doing a Star Trek movie in three parts, to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Trek. It'll have Nichelle Nichols, Walter Keonig (whom I adore) and Tim Russ, and, and, all sorts of other folks!

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Honestly, I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to it.

watch the trailer. Drool.

sleeburg27

PeeDee said:
Hi! Neat! It was late and I couldn't find an active link on the Defiant page which took me back to Pendant Productions, but admittedly, I didn't work very hard at it.

Your link went to the podcast xml feed and not the actual section of the website devoted to Defiant, which would be why. :)

I'm enjoying Defiant no end. I have a little difficulty imaging a Superman radio show (but then, it's only because I haven't heard it yet) so I think that'll go find a home on my Ipod too. I'll be curious to see how it comes out.

It was actually the original Superman radio drama from the '40s that gave me the idea of attempting a modern version based on the comic books. We just released episode 24 which is the two year mark, so I think it's working.

I like the idea of doing an original audio anthology. What fun. If I had a script, I'd send it to you for sure. Maybe I'll tinker with one, between other deadlines.

By all means, please do. We can always use more scripts.

Last edited:

sleeburg27

Shadow_Ferret said:
Hey, cool! I'm going to have to check it out after work, but I think I may have found a new favorite website!
High praise indeed. Thanks.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
When you hit rock bottom for scripts, you can use the Pete & Carrie Variety Hour links in my signature.

;)

(but then you'd best declare bankruptcy and flee the country)

sleeburg27

soloset said:
ETA: Assuming it is illegal fanfiction, the sheer chutzpah of this site is amazing, by the way. I can't imagine putting that much work into something I could never really call my own. And it's unfortunate in our country that inventiveness and determination displayed here probably won't be rewarded because of copyright laws.

We have both fan shows and original shows, and we are being rewarded heartily though not in the ways you were probably thinking of.

We have a large and growing fanbase. People grab anywhere from 1000-2000 mp3s from our site every day. They're incredibly loyal and devoted. And building a huge audience via fan shows is a great way to then expose them to your original work.

If we took our first original show and just started parading it around, few (if any) would want to listen to it, let alone join us to help create them.

But Superman fans will listen to a Superman show. Same with Batman. Star Trek. Indiana Jones. They can experience the quality and professionalism we strive for in all areas and know we produce quality entertainment.

And then you have a huge, built-in audience who suddenly wants to check out your original shows about characters they've never heard of before. And they also want to join and audition for roles, direct shows... we have over 250 members now. When we first started the entire group was me and about 11 close friends I roped into helping me. Without fan shows to help it grow, we never could have even attempted original shows.

It's really a very effective model.

Paramount used to go after and shut down ANY fan sites they could find back in the mid '90s, but it got them a ton of bad press and with the questionable success of Voyager and Enterprise, I think they've come to realize that fan productions are the ONLY think keeping Trek alive at this point, until they can get back to delivering quality Trek on their own.

Marvel is litigation-happy, but we don't use any Marvel properties. DC has to be well aware of our shows, because we're partnered with SupermanHomepage.com for our Superman show (the longest running one we have - two years now!) and DC staff, writers, etc. use that site all the time for research, to gauge fan reactions and opinions, etc. So they know we exist and haven't done a thing, probably because we're not making a dime off of it and they know it only increases interest in their own properties.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm glad you came back around, and I hope you stay to hang out. :)

I have since listened to a couple of episodes of the Superman show, and I enjoyed it no end. I heartily enjoy the voice you have for Superman, and I am especially fond of the voice for John Henry. Best he's sounded in awhile. For one thing, it's not Shaq. :)

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
When you hit rock bottom for scripts, you can use the Pete & Carrie Variety Hour links in my signature.

;)

(but then you'd best declare bankruptcy and flee the country)

Aw, come on, that wouldn't be rock bottom! Surely we're at least up around the sludgy stuff ABOVE rock bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.