Why would an agent do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't going to ask, but it's been nagging at my brain cell.

Several months ago I found the web page for a particular agent, based on an author she represented. There he was, listed among her other well-known clients, with mention of his new, as-yet-untitled book coming out in 2006.

Well I went back to her page last month, checking some guidelines, and this author is no longer on her list. She was his agent for 5 books, now she's removed him from her list of authors. His own webpage hasn't been updated in two years (no real surprise there, busy writer and all).

Okay, I can see an agent dropping an author. And I can see an author dropping an agent. But wouldn't the agent still want said author there in her Books-I've-Represented list? His books did modestly well, one became a major motion picture, one a movie on Sci-Fi channel. The others are known, and still in print. I can see dropping him as a client, but erasing him from her list?

Any ideas? Could this be a reflection of a simply personal thing, and not a writerly-business issue? I'm not really flummoxed, just a bit fummo'ed. (and procrastinating).

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'd be curious to see what agent you're talking about. THat's interesting. Without seeing the site, and following it like you have, I can't begin to guess, though.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll PM you the names and page, so as not to be impolite :) Maybe I'm missing something there.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hm. That *is* odd. Unless it really is, like Carrie said, just current clients? But even though, it would still count as sales on her part. One of them was an okay movie (the one in theaters).

You could always just e-mail and ask , of course. It's not a hostile question, I bet she'd answer.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Maybe the agent screwed the author out of money and a lawsuit was filed. Or there was an out of court settlement with a stipulation that the agent needs to remove said author from website. Or maybe the author is in jail. Or maybe I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about and said agent and author are romantically involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.