PDA

View Full Version : Publishing industry exec pays $280k for poem!

lostlore
12-28-2006, 03:40 AM
I find this news item fascinating on many levels. Exec buys original copy of Clement Moore poem to recite at his Manhattan Christmas party. Wow. They still do stuff like this?
Question for the forum: anyone know who this is, and/or where this party was? Any Flickr links?
Me, I have never been invited to a Manhattan publishing-industry party before and had no idea that some of said execs gave Christmas parties where they go and read original manuscripts of classic American Christmas poems. I mean, a $280k poem has got to be the life of the party, no? This is so cool! If only Clement Clarke Moore could know how much he's worth!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_on_fe_st/christmas_poem

Silver King
12-28-2006, 04:01 AM
I've read that poem to children, after a little eggnog and rum, every Christmas Eve for well over two decades. My copy is a picture book that costs $3.95.

This might be a good thread for the Roundtable forum, where more folks are likely to chime in.

PeeDee
12-28-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure how that's impressive beyond saying "I have quite a lot of money, and I've just spent a silly little amount." The poem is still the poem. I also have a copy of it, and I don't even know if mine cost $3.95. I love reading it.

Still, that sounds like a great party, and I'm just having sour grapes because no one invites me to these things.

The Lady
12-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Maybe it's an investment item, kinda like buying a painting and hoping it goes up in value. I can't see any other reason for doing such a daft thing.

Vincent
12-28-2006, 05:04 AM
So, how many dollars per word does that come to.

PeeDee
12-28-2006, 05:05 AM
So, how many dollars per word does that come to.

STILL less than what J.K. Rowling makes. :)

piscesgirl80
12-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure how that's impressive beyond saying "I have quite a lot of money, and I've just spent a silly little amount." The poem is still the poem. I also have a copy of it, and I don't even know if mine cost $3.95. I love reading it.

Maybe it's an investment item, kinda like buying a painting and hoping it goes up in value. I can't see any other reason for doing such a daft thing.

I guess the person REALLY likes the poem. :D I think The Lady is right...it's the literary equivalent of buying an original painting by a master vs. a poster or print. It at least makes more sense to me than rich folks who pay that amount of money on designer clothes.

johnzakour
12-28-2006, 06:39 PM
This says exactly one thing:

Roses are Red...
Violets are Blue...
I've got way more money than you...

Still, hey, more power to em.