Publishing industry exec pays $280k for poem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
I find this news item fascinating on many levels. Exec buys original copy of Clement Moore poem to recite at his Manhattan Christmas party. Wow. They still do stuff like this?
Question for the forum: anyone know who this is, and/or where this party was? Any Flickr links?
Me, I have never been invited to a Manhattan publishing-industry party before and had no idea that some of said execs gave Christmas parties where they go and read original manuscripts of classic American Christmas poems. I mean, a $280k poem has got to be the life of the party, no? This is so cool! If only Clement Clarke Moore could know how much he's worth!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_on_fe_st/christmas_poem

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that poem to children, after a little eggnog and rum, every Christmas Eve for well over two decades. My copy is a picture book that costs $3.95.

This might be a good thread for the Roundtable forum, where more folks are likely to chime in.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'm not sure how that's impressive beyond saying "I have quite a lot of money, and I've just spent a silly little amount." The poem is still the poem. I also have a copy of it, and I don't even know if mine cost $3.95. I love reading it.

Still, that sounds like a great party, and I'm just having sour grapes because no one invites me to these things.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Maybe it's an investment item, kinda like buying a painting and hoping it goes up in value. I can't see any other reason for doing such a daft thing.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So, how many dollars per word does that come to.

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I'm not sure how that's impressive beyond saying "I have quite a lot of money, and I've just spent a silly little amount." The poem is still the poem. I also have a copy of it, and I don't even know if mine cost $3.95. I love reading it.

The Lady said:
Maybe it's an investment item, kinda like buying a painting and hoping it goes up in value. I can't see any other reason for doing such a daft thing.

I guess the person REALLY likes the poem. :D I think The Lady is right...it's the literary equivalent of buying an original painting by a master vs. a poster or print. It at least makes more sense to me than rich folks who pay that amount of money on designer clothes.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
This says exactly one thing:

Roses are Red...
Violets are Blue...
I've got way more money than you...

Still, hey, more power to em.

Status