PDA

View Full Version : My Least Favorite Word

askeladd
12-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Inspired by the "My Favorite Word" thread.

This thread may also be termed "The word I absolutely can't stand" :D.

My candidate: Totally (as in "totally awesome, dude" :Wha:)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I can't even type the word because I hate it so much. But I'll tell you it begins with a 'c' and ends with a 't'.

Little Red Barn
12-27-2006, 06:59 AM
I can't even type the word because I hate it so much. But I'll tell you it begins with a 'c' and ends with a 't'.

ditto on that one ol' girl...

Someones got a sassy sweet new avatar, OFG!

Rolling Thunder
12-27-2006, 07:03 AM

But....but....you did use it, dirty bird.

CBeasy
12-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Inspired by the "My Favorite Word" thread.

This thread may also be termed "The word I absolutely can't stand" :D.

My candidate: Totally (as in "totally awesome, dude" :Wha:)
I'm totally sorry. I totally say totally all the time. I don't know why. It's not my favorite word at all.

My least favorite word would have to be "period" but only in the context of "That was the best show ever, period." If that's not redundant, I don't know what it.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-27-2006, 07:10 AM
But....but....you did use it, dirty bird.

You're on a roll tonight, RT!

Unique
12-27-2006, 07:18 AM
moist

ew.
:e2paperba do not - ever - tell me your cake is **that word**

TrainofThought
12-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Goiter (ugliest word)
and
starts with 'P' and ends with 'y'.

Rolling Thunder
12-27-2006, 07:22 AM
moist

ew.

Your cake was the moist terrible thing I ever et.

(Is that okay?)

endless
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Obese is the ugliest word.

benbradley
12-27-2006, 08:08 AM
There are words I hate only because they are horrendously, grossly, and egregiously misused, but I can't think of one right now.

Oh yeah, now I remember:

Literally.

I can't think of an example (mis)usage right now, but I do recall reading some essay saying that the word "literally" is being used more and more when the writer does NOT mean literally.

And for words not to like just for general grossout factor, there's:

Armpit.

There are others, but you should be pleased to note that I have conveniently forgotten them at the moment...

You're on a roll tonight, RT!

Be careful, don't slip on the butter!

Silver King
12-27-2006, 08:28 AM
The two words I dislike the most on a writers' board: that said.

The three words I dislike the most on a writers' board: with that said.

The four words I dislike the most on a writers' board: with that being said.

I mean, come on, why in the world are you reminding people of what you said just a second ago?

janetbellinger
12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
any word that is more complex than it needs to be

benbradley
12-27-2006, 08:51 AM
The two words I dislike the most on a writers' board: that said.

The three words I dislike the most on a writers' board: with that said.

The four words I dislike the most on a writers' board: with that being said.

I mean, come on, why in the world are you reminding people of what you said just a second ago?
With that having been said, ...

Silver King
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Ben. It stretches my list to four least favorites, and counting...;)

eldragon
12-28-2006, 06:34 AM
I can't beat OFG's word, that one is a big one with me.

Other words: the "n" word, hubby, behooved.

Alex Bravo
12-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Orifice. That word bugs me.

Oh and OFG, I knew a girl whose name was C_nny. I kid you not. I was in total shock that THAT was her real name. What were her parents thinking?

Silver King
12-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I knew a girl whose name was C_nny. I kid you not.
That's terrible.

It reminds me of a Vietnamese woman I worked with whose name was, Dat Dam Ho. As you said, I kid you not.

scarletpeaches
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Basically.

Overused in news reports, when the presenter goes to members of the public and asks them what happened. "Well, basically, what happened was, right..."

Other TV shows. "Tell us how you want us to redecorate your house." - "Well, basically, I want it tidied up and made to look nice."

"How was your day?" - "Basically, I did this and then did that..."

I want to kill people for using that word. And I just have, several times.

Misty_Blue
12-28-2006, 05:27 PM
I find the word 'like' irritating when used like... "I was at this bar and I was like so excited..and it was like really cool..

Aggh hateful teen talk..

And here in Spain I heard this phrase alot which I wasn't getting at first, and people in dispute say it quite often... "me cago en tu muerto"... which means:

I poo on your dead!!

O.K. How nice..

tlblack
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Basically I find the word "that" can literally be quite annoying. It's like... that word ought to be banned from that dictionary or that grammar usage book so that it couldn't get over used in this or that sentence. Now with that having been said... how many of us have overused that or read something that did?

LloydBrown
12-28-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't have many that I actively dislike. More than a few make me react differently than other people do. For example, when I hear the word "penal", my brain hears "penile," as in "The mayor promised today to revamp the city's penile code."

Meerkat
12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Either the word "right?" at the end of every sentence, or its equivalent "nomesayn?" Either drags you back to an undoubtedly inane converstation from which you were starting to drift.

Soccer Mom
12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
hmmmm-- I hate the made up words sportscasters use. "Defensed" and "Trickeration" are the two biggies!

jester
12-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Worst word......ooze.....leaves too much to my active imagination

Scarlett_156
12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree with the others: Basically, literally, and totally.

Mom'sWrite
12-29-2006, 09:48 AM
whatever

I get an overwhelming need to run screaming from the room whenever this word is used as a response.

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Well, I wrote a whole (unpublished) children's book called "I Hate The Word 'Retard,'" and have a pledge about it on my website, so I guess that answers the question. Other candidates for less loaded reasons include:

hopefully (because it's nearly always used incorrectly, and annoying to try to use correctly)

bucket (makes me think of vomit)

projectile (same)

maniacal (I once judged a writing contest where-- swear-- at least 40% of all the entries included the word "maniacal" or "maniacally," generally for no good reason. The word has ticked me off ever since.)

resonate (will forever be entangled with PublishAmerica in my mind, despite that it's a perfectly good word otherwise)

Jessi
12-30-2006, 01:29 PM

My least favorite word is like that, also....except it happens to be 'panty' or 'panties'. I really don't like the word at all.

As for actual writing, though, it seems that 'like,' 'that,' and 'just' all get used way too much....and I'm guilty of it at times, too.

IrishScribbler
12-31-2006, 12:02 AM
My least favorite word is "literally." As in: it was literally raining cats and dogs.

Someone actually told me that once. *shudder* It makes me want to hurl dictionaries at people's heads!

Jessi
12-31-2006, 06:26 AM
My least favorite word is "literally." As in: it was literally raining cats and dogs.

Someone actually told me that once. *shudder* It makes me want to hurl dictionaries at people's heads!

That sounds, uh, painful....both the cats/dogs 'and' the thrown dictionaries!

Roger McMillian
01-03-2007, 06:37 AM
idiot

poetinahat
01-03-2007, 06:56 AM
ETA: Cross-posted with IrishScribbler. Hooray -- we'll get rid of this plague yet!

Oh yeah, now I remember:

Literally.
I agree. TV talking heads saying, for example, "the atmosphere here is literally electric". No, it's not. If it were, you'd be frying.

"Diva" is a pet hate of mine, but in the more general category, I'll nominate... let's see...

impact

as in, "This decision will impact all of us". Nope, it hasn't made me any shorter or more compressed. How 'bout you?

Carmy
01-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Gotten.

I'm liable to toss books when I come across that word.

Shades of Humanity
01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Cat?

Pony?

Dearest me, what's with all the animal haters in this thread :tongue

I really dislike it when people sprinkle their conversation with "y'know."

Sweetlebee
01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
My least favorite word is like that, also....except it happens to be 'panty' or 'panties'. I really don't like the word at all.

Oh, me too--I always associate "panties" with a lecherous old man. I can't say the word. I also can't say "make love"--that feels odd for some reason. I also hate when people refer to their private parts as their "girls" or their "boys".

On a different subject, I hate the new phrase "gone missing", as in "I think I need a breast implant as my "girls" have gone missing."

Sweetlebee
01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Gotten.

I'm liable to toss books when I come across that word.

And boughten. Hehe.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Orifice. That word bugs me.

Oh and OFG, I knew a girl whose name was C_nny. I kid you not. I was in total shock that THAT was her real name. What were her parents thinking?

Back in the day, when I was a Personnel Guru (guress?), one of our techs was from VietNam. His name was the equivalent of asking 'f**k when?'!

Try paging him over the intercom!

CBeasy
01-07-2007, 02:46 AM
I hate the word "Honestly", because most the time, if someone's using it they're trying to pass off something that isn't true.

BlueTexas
01-09-2007, 07:14 AM
One of my most hated spoken phrases is "if not more" or "if not less" - I have never heard it used to mean what the speaker thinks it means. Makes me want to scream.

My most hated word ever is cataracted. Read Midnight by Koontz and you'll see why.

Silver King
01-09-2007, 08:16 AM
At first I thought for sure you said castrated, Kira. I was barely able to catch my breath long enough to realize I was wrong. Phew.

Soccer Mom
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
More hated sports phrases:

"He'd like to have that one back."-- Always used after an interception.

K1P1
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
"Utilize" instead of "use"

Jabs
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Can't.

janetbellinger
01-11-2007, 05:39 PM
the power of positive thinking

PrettySpecialGal
02-04-2007, 08:19 AM
double negatives and subjective pronouns used in the objective pronoun place

I know it's not a specific word, but, hey....

Rosie_81
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM
moist

ew.

I hate that word too! It's just awful!

scarletpeaches
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM
"Cheap at half the price."

janetbellinger
02-04-2007, 10:43 PM
muli-tasking