PDA

View Full Version : What Book(s) Did Santa Bring You?

C.bronco
12-27-2006, 06:41 AM
I got The Amulet of Samarkand by Stroud. So far it's good! I get impatient when the story line keeps switching back and forth chapter to chapter, but I know it's b/c I'm impatient.
What did you get?

Unique
12-27-2006, 06:51 AM
I got The Dead of Winter and The Well Educated Mind.

On chapter four of number two, maybe I don't want to be as educated as I thought I did. :tongue But I'll stick with it. If I start gibbering more than usual - tell me to put it down. Please.

Little Red Barn
12-27-2006, 07:02 AM
I got The Dead of Winter and The Well Educated Mind.

On chapter four of number two, maybe I don't want to be as educated as I thought I did. :tongue But I'll stick with it. If I start gibbering more than usual - tell me to put it down. Please.

I did ask for Wicked, but didn't get it so I'll end up going and buying it myself...save it for the beach perhaps...

karenmary
12-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, a novel by Lisa See.

(I'd already read it, but it's a great book.)

TrainofThought
12-27-2006, 07:42 AM
A Cook book for crock pots. Not that I didn't want it, but a nice Border's gift card would be nice.

janetbellinger
12-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Vinyl Cafe Unplugged by Stuart McLean.

endless
12-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Are you ready for this?

The Joy of Writing Sex by E. Benedict
Arms and Armour (Traditional Weapons of India) by E. J. Paul
Tattoo Nation (Rolling Stone) intro by D. Ritz
Dragons by Ciruello
The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy edited by D. Park and T. Dullemond
Renaissance Swordsmanship by J. Clemens
Vampires and Vampirism by M. Summers
The Complete Book of Shaolin by Wong Kiew Kit
Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by B. Willingham
Arte of Defense by W. Wilson

Yep. I got books for Christmas.

wyntermoon
12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Writer's Market 2007
Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer by Jenna Glatzer

Lyra Jean
12-27-2006, 09:13 AM
None but I did get some cash that I'm going to use to get myself the WM 2007.

I think I'll be braver this year and send out my works to the next market if they get rejected by the first market I send it to.

triceretops
12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
The complete illustrated book of WWII, plus the illustrated book of the Civil War.

Tri

DeadlyAccurate
12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I got The Amulet of Samarkand by Stroud. So far it's good! I get impatient when the story line keeps switching back and forth chapter to chapter, but I know it's b/c I'm impatient.
What did you get?

I took that with me when I visited the in-laws and finished it up on Monday. Great book. I've ordered the next one and it should be here today or tomorrow.

I didn't get any, but I did get a $30 bn.com gift card. I used it to buy The Sims 2: Pets expansion, though, since I'd just placed an order for four books before Christmas.

CaroGirl
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Vinyl Cafe Unplugged by Stuart McLean.
I bought that for my husband only to discover we already had it (with a different cover, of course). Duh! We plan to exchange it for something else today.

Vinyl Cafe Unplugged is a great book.

I got Shopaholic and Sister (not sure if I'll like it) and a $20 Chapters gc.

VeggieChick
12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Does it count that I bought it for myself? "The Historian" - Bought in on ebay and had it shipped here (halfway around the world) about two weeks ago. It arrived exactly on Christmas day, which is a working day in sunny Siberia. I was SOOOO happy.

Meerkat
12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Borders gift certificates! (Got 'em/Gave 'em).

Anonymisty
12-28-2006, 02:05 AM
I got

Rachel Caine's Firestorm
Naomi Novick's Throne of Jade and Black Powder War
Tim Powers' A Soul in a Bottle

Excuse me, I have some reading to do. *grin*

engmajor2005
12-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Fragile Things and Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Plus a $10 Books-A-Million gift card (for here in town) and a $25 B&N gift card (for the next out of town trip).

Oh, and I got the Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection with Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone.

How cool is that? To be born with such an awesome last name. Rathbone. Then to be named Basil on top of that. Lucky dude.

jbal
12-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Elements of Style, which shockingly I didn't have yet,
Bentley Little's Death Instinct,
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk,
And some Brian Keene book, the name of which escapes me.

LloydBrown
12-28-2006, 04:22 AM
I got a gift card to B&N, which I can't wait to use.

Vincent
12-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Solomon Kane.

And I gave various people... let's see... 6 books.

endless
12-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Each? Will you be _my_ friend? :D

Vincent
12-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Hah, no, not each. Those 6 were between 3 people. Oh wait, and 2 bookstore vouchers to a couple more people.

I was in a bookish mood.

Storyteller5
12-28-2006, 06:03 AM
One friend bought me the first 10 books of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. My DH got me Todd Mccaffrey's Dragon's Fire. My SIL gave me Primo Levi's Survival In Auschwitz. I'm happy.

Of course, there are still a ton of books on my wish list. :lol:

C.bronco
12-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Oh, I forgot I also got Our Lady of the Lakes Cookbook which has 23 of my family recipes in it. :)

C.bronco
12-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Enjoy your reading everyone! Santa always brings me a paperback, for which I am eternally grateful

LeslieB
12-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Besides bookstore gift certificates, I got The Tough Guide to Fantasyland. I haven't stopped laughing since.

Shwebb
12-28-2006, 08:21 AM
I got I Like You--Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris

It's like Martha Stewart on acid. Very entertaining, hilarious, and it has great recipes in it. And surprisingly, a few good tips on entertaining.

And a gift certificate to Borders. Yay! If only I could narrow down my choices, I want so many . . .

expatbrat
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I got The Kite Runner and Curry a cooking book. Haven't started on Kite runner yet as still reading something else. The curry book looks fantastic, can't wait to try out some of the recipes.

steveg144
12-28-2006, 02:24 PM
'The Dramatists Sourcebook.' It's like the Writer's Market ref book, except for plays.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Santa gave me Eldest by Christopher Paolini. It's hardcover and as thick as a city phone book. As I've never read his stuff before, I'm looking forward to and at the same time dreading reading the 700-and-some-odd-page volume.

kristie911
01-01-2007, 01:20 AM
I got James Patterson's Cross. It took me about 4 hours to read but his books are a very quick read with the short chapters. I enjoyed it but had a few problems with the plot. Definitely not his best work.

klostes
01-01-2007, 02:42 AM
Prehistoric Textiles, by Elizabeth Wayland Barber. Not nearly as dry as it sounds and been on my Amazon wish list for ages.

Cloth and Human Experience, edited by A. Wiener and J. Schneider. This one I found at the university library this fall and didn't have time to read, but did take time to put it on my Amazon wish list where a friend found it.

I was a very happy camper on Christmas morning.

illiterwrite
01-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Santa brought me a bunch of gift certificates, so I've ordered myself about $75 worth of new books! Wheeeeeee!

imagoodgurl4
01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I got a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble...so I bought Descriptions by Monica Wood. Very good book and it's been extremely helpful.

readlorey
01-02-2007, 12:40 AM
I did ask for Wicked, but didn't get it so I'll end up going and buying it myself...save it for the beach perhaps...

Good luck with that book. I couldn't finish it. It read like it was written by a retarded ten year old. Okay, maybe not retarded, but very badly written as far as I was concerned. I write fiction, but I hope I come up with better creatures than this book had in it.

I did like the fairly political ideas and the racial overtures on the Animals. That was interesting...other than that I thought it badly written. I never did finish it. I could send you my copy if you like. :)

jdkiggins
01-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Stephen King's Lisey's Story

&

A Barnes & Noble Gift Certificate.

:hooray:

Zoombie
01-02-2007, 12:46 AM
World War Z by Max Brooks

LloydBrown
01-02-2007, 12:47 AM
That's funny, JDkiggins. In addition to my B&N card I mentioned a few days ago, today I opened up Lisey's Story and Cell (the family gift-giving was delayed until today for an emergency).

readlorey
01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
I received a gift card for Half Price books (one of my favoritest places) and bought Conformity and Conflict-Readings in Cultural Antrhopology by James Spradley and David W. McCurdy. Earth, Air, Fire & Water by Scot Cunningham. And last but not least, The Lost Civilzations of the Stone Age People by Richard Rudgley.

I was given The Pocket Survival Guide, The Pocket Disaster Survival Guide, The Encyclopedia of Survival Techniques, and Ninjitsu for Women.

I be happy. I still have a few bucks left on that card so I will go back and spend three or four hours and find more books.

Did I say I am addicted to books in my profile? Um, yeah, I am! Happily so!

WriterInChains
01-02-2007, 01:45 AM
On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner (w/foreward by one of the writers in my pantheon: Raymond Carver).

It wasn't really a gift in the traditional sense, but I consider it one because of how I found it. I was at Powell's on 12/23 when the Portland Cacophony Society made their annual walk-through to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. After they all passed through the Orange Room (it took about 5 minutes :)) I headed for the cafe for a coffee. I heard a commotion outside on Burnside so I went to the window to watch traffic stop so the santas could cross. It was cool! I just happened to be in the reference aisle, next to the writing books, & there it was! This was one of the first books I ever read on writing (maybe THE first), and it was the first time I thought maybe I wasn't the only person as twisted & demented as I am, and that maybe my brand of weird would turn out to be a good thing after all. It was like having someone say I was already a member of a club I wanted desperately to join. I remember being in a real funk when I learned Gardner was already dead by then.

So to me, Santa (OK, about a hundred Santas :)) gave me the book, even though technically I had to buy it.

Thomma Lyn
01-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Whee! Santa brought me gift certificates from Amazon and Books-a-Million. So I now have, waiting to be read:

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan, edited by Ann Druyan

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

Love and Other Impossible Pursuits by Ayelet Waldman

a tree of night
01-02-2007, 07:40 AM
(w/foreward by one of the writers in my pantheon: Raymond Carver).
One of my favorites. I've recently been collecting his wife's work as well (see below) and I have yet to be disappointed.

directly :
The Box Man, Kobo Abe
The Macguffin, Stanley Elkin
Moon Crossing Bridge, Tess Gallagher
The Baseball Same Game, Steve Lombardi
Understanding Exposure, Bryan Peterson

through gift certificates:
Gargantua and Pantagruel, Rabelais
The Lover of Horses, Tess Gallagher
The Feast of the Goat, Mario Vargas Llosa
Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folktale, Andreas Johns

ETA : forgot the one I just finished - The Magician, Maughm

Chickadee
01-02-2007, 08:42 AM
I received mored music than books for the first time in years, but I did get three books:

The Nibelungenlied, translated by A. T. Hatto (it's a prose translation, which I am not entirely in love with)
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
Women in the Viking Age by Judith Jesch

engmajor2005
01-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Cashed in some Christmas money and my BAMM gift card Sunday. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.

RG570
01-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Two Margaret Atwood novels: Alias Grace and The Blind Assasin.

And Laughable Loves, by Milan Kundera.

Soccer Mom
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
I got socks.

Vincent
01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Socks are very important.

Soccer Mom
01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Oh, and pajamas and a writing chair. This is the first year in I don't know how many that I haven't gotten books or gift cards. So I bought some for myself.

A Hatful of SKy-Terry Pratchett
The Ranger's Apprentice (Book ii)- John Flanaghan

rosemarykenndal
01-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Recieved the Complete Works of Oscar Wilde finally! Sadly that was the only book I got :(

BlueTexas
01-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I got
Cell & Lisey's Story
The Examined Life by Nozick
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

jennifer75
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Well, Santa brought me Borders Gift Cards which inturn brought me the following!

Harry Potter 1 - 6 paperbacks (for me now and my son later)
How To Save Your Own Life by Erica Jong
The Three Martini Playdate (can't remember the author)
The Mommy Myth (again, authorless...)
Parachutes and Kisses by Erica Jong
Stephen Kings "On Writing"
The Only Girl in the Car, a memoir
Hypocrite in a pouffy white dress
White Lines: Writers on Cocaine
Money, A Memoir: Women, Emotions, and Cash

And I still have $5 left! Woohooo!

pomegranatetears
01-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Let's see I got:

Mists of Avalon
Hunters of Dune
The Dark Elf Trilogy
Legacy of the Drow
Eragon (I'm scared to start this book after reading some people's thoughts on it on this thread.)
The Earthsea Trilogy
Wicked

I guess this list doesn't say much about my reading tastes does it? What with all the diversity and all.

Arisa81
01-23-2007, 01:19 AM
* Chicken Soup to Inspire the Body and Soul
* Idiot's Guide to Writing for Young Adults

Sonarbabe
01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
OMG! Santa brought me nothing BUT books....and a fuzzy fluffy robe (He's so good to me)

Prince of Twilight-- Maggie Shayne
Embrace the Twilight--Maggie Shayne
Alex (A Lulu novel I did for fun.... turned out nice)
You Can Write A Romance--Rita Clay Estrada, Rita Gallagher

19 Harlequin Blaze books (You really don't want me to list them all)
A Texan's Honor--Leigh Greenwood
Glad Tidings--Debbie Macomber

Plus, I took on a side job as a romance book reviewer for a literary magazine. I'll be reading for months!! Wait a minute... I'm supposed to be writing when?? :e2shrug:

HorrorWriter
01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Vicious by Brandon Massey
Dark Corner by Brandon Massey
My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due
The Living Blood by Tananarive Due
Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
Just to name a few...

Gonzo
01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
First and Last Men, Olaf Stapledon
Excellent book, wanted to get hold of the Logan's Run trilogy but it is out of print and there are no second hand copies in the UK.