PDA

View Full Version : Beatles in Arizona

Rainy Night
12-27-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm trying to find if the Beatles ever played a concert in Phoenix AZ... I tried to google it, but really couldn't find anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RN

Celia Cyanide
12-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Try the Story Research forum.

alleycat
12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't see it listed in the '64, '65, or '66 tours.

kjh7073
12-27-2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.dermon.com/Beatles/details/tours.htm

They never played Phoenix.

Sorry,
KJ

RainbowDragon
12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
If it's any consolation, Beatlemania plays in the Phoenix metro area all the time.

Maryn
12-28-2006, 03:01 AM
This may be of no help at all, but in the 70s George Harrison played Tucson (and presumably Phoenix either the night before or the next night, which was how Tucson's few decent concerts went).

Maryn, who saw 1/4 of the Beatles

Rainy Night
12-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Looks like a re-write is in my future... *#$%!

Maryn
12-29-2006, 08:17 AM
No necessarily. It's called fiction because you get to invent stuff! Really, if it serves your story to have the Beatles play Phoenix, then have them play Phoenix. Figure out what the venue would have been and where they did tour, so you can plug them in at a plausible opening rather than flying them back from Europe or Japan for the gig.

The few readers who know they never did Phoenix will surely realize they're reading a story you made up, and the rest will believe it happened.

Maryn, who suggests you have Mozart open for the Fab Four (or failing that, Billy Preston)

britwrit
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
No one'll care or notice (unless you have them there after they stopped playing live). In his old version of The Stand, Stephen King had the fictional band of Jimmy Underwood opening for Led Zepplin long after they went their separate ways.

Mom'sWrite
12-29-2006, 10:51 PM
If you are interested in doing a bit of creative embellishment, if the Beatles had played in Phoenix, they probably would have played at Gammage Auditorium on the campus of ASU which opened in 1964. It was by far the best available musical venue in the area.

Major rock and roll bands didn't really start showing up here until 1979 when Jess Nicks (Stevie Nicks dad) built Compton Terrace out by Firebird Raceway. Sadly, Compton Terrace is no longer with us.

Mom'sWrite
12-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Here's a little more trivia about the Beatles in Arizona...

The McCartney's have a rather large ranch in the desert just outside Tucson. It was rumored to be Linda's favorite place in the world and the location she chose for her last days. Local legend says that she died there surrounded by her family.

Good choice, milady.

Rainy Night
01-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the help.. it was much appreciated.