10 myths about Atheism

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting article by Sam Harris (printed I believe the LA Times) and that the people here might enjoy seeing it. The quote in point 3 by the historian Stephen Henry Roberts..."I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." is particularly profound. In any case, if this is not the right place for the article, please feel free to delete it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-harris24dec24,0,3994298.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

Eta profuse apologies for posting the article. I've linked now.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Kikazaru,

You need to put the correct citation and a link, and reduce the amount of info from the article, which should then be put in a quote box to distinguish it from your comments. You note that the article is from the L.A. Times, so it's certainly copyrighted. We discuss this in the newbies guide - but for your reference:

POSTING COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES: Please don't post articles from newspapers/mags/e-zines here without permission from the writer or publication. Instead, quote the first few lines and then provide a link, and we'll be glad to follow it if we're interested.

Thanks for your cooperation.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I also think that rather than discussing atheism per se it might be more interesting to discuss how writers like Harris portray it. For example I am reading Harris's 'the End of Faith' and I am deeply uncomfortable that he protrays his views as being generically atheistic as if this is a uniform set of beliefs. Some of his points about the Muslim faith seem to me to be nothing less than bigotry propped up by flawed logic and cheap rhetoric. Other parts however are very pithy and compelling. Then he moved on to write of moderate religion is even worse than fundamnetalism -- ergo, he is a fundamentalist atheist who thinks it is our duty to convert believers to avoid the end ofthe world--scary.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I thought it was an interesting article, but there were several phrases that disturbed me because it not only slanted the article, but unintentionally polarized those reading it. I consider the reporting faulty because it did the same thing that religious articles often do, while claiming to be free of bias.

Here's a writing quiz for NT reporting: What phrases did I object to?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a NPR story that mentions another myth that I think fits better than some of those 10 myths. Actually this may be the Number One Myth About Atheism: "There are no atheists in foxholes." The story is about how atheists are becoming more "militant" and mentions both Sam Harris' and Richard Dawkins' popular books, and has short comments by Harris and several others (sorry, no free transcript available, you have to listen):
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6632129

Reading through the LAtimes article, I have my own comments on these points that the author missed. These are my major disagreements with what was written:

Atheists believe that life is meaningless.

Yes, some atheists do believe that. I suspect there are some religious people who believe that too.

Atheists are arrogant.

Yes, some atheists ARE arrogant.

Atheists are closed to spiritual experience.

I don't like the way this is answered. It seems to say that certain emotional states are spiritual (and that, of course, atheists have these emotions), but this could be misleading as some people see the word spiritual as meaning having a belief in God. Certainly by that definition of spiritual, atheists ARE closed to spiritual experience.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Any states starting with 'Atheists' and not ending in 'do not believe in God' is probably an over-generalisation. Because athiest is an 'a-' statement, it specifies one thing a person does not believe, not everything they do. That's what bother me about these new atheist dogma creators.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
veinglory said:
I also think that rather than discussing atheism per se it might be more interesting to discuss how writers like Harris portray it. For example I am reading Harris's 'the End of Faith' and I am deeply uncomfortable that he protrays his views as being generically atheistic as if this is a uniform set of beliefs. Some of his points about the Muslim faith seem to me to be nothing less than bigotry propped up by flawed logic and cheap rhetoric. Other parts however are very pithy and compelling. Then he moved on to write of moderate religion is even worse than fundamnetalism -- ergo, he is a fundamentalist atheist who thinks it is our duty to convert believers to avoid the end ofthe world--scary.

I haven't read any books by Harris yet, but I've read books/articles that could be described the same way.

I am very disturbed by atheists who sound suspiciously like religious fundamentalists. I see tons of this online (essays, blogs, etc.) and I think this a big part of why people love to hate atheists.

I wish NT writers could write in a more tolerant tone sometimes. (Then again, maybe a softer tone would sell fewer books, and this is why they're so polemical in the first place...)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I wish NT writers could write in a more tolerant tone sometimes.

BINGO, nancy! Here's what I object to:

1. Atheists tend to be quite sure that life is precious.

Statements of "fact" preclude diversity among the group. It's a generality, and a faulty one at that.

2. we know that the diversity and complexity we see in the living world is not a product of mere chance.

"We" know no such thing. To remove a possibility from the potential list proves bias.

From the atheist point of view, the world's religions utterly trivialize the real beauty and immensity of the universe.

Pfft! Another opinion disguised as "fact." The writer of the article no more speaks for every atheist than I speak for every member of AW.

Sadly, this method of reporting might be useful for getting the viewpoint into the press at all, since the more moderate and reasonable a position, the more willing to accept all points of view as valid--the less commercial for a publication. Controversy, sadly, still sells the printed word.

Any thoughts on ways to change this attitude?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A promonant voice for moderate atheism? Alas, moderate voices get less attention in any area.

Reading on with Harris the logic boggles my mind. His main argument is that because religious belief sometimes causes violence (concepts like matyrdom, evil witchcraft etc), violence is caused by religion at the personal and national level and the catastrophic violence that eventually ends our race will be caused by religion unless we wipe it out. What?

Here is an equally scientific and atheist stance. Evolution shows us that success comes from largely random diversity, acted upon by selecting factors. Ergo, as in all things, human belief should be maximally diverse even when that means some beliefs seem to us to be illogical. The strategy we need to survive as a species in a modern age may spring from the mindset of a Christian, an athiest or a Moonie. We shouldn't narrow the options.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
I thought this was an interesting article by Sam Harris (printed I believe the LA Times) and that the people here might enjoy seeing it. The quote in point 3 by the historian Stephen Henry Roberts..."I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." is particularly profound. In any case, if this is not the right place for the article, please feel free to delete it.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-harris24dec24,0,3994298.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

Eta profuse apologies for posting the article. I've linked now.

That isn't a profound line, it's incredibly old and stupid line. Not only is it illogical, it's the exact reverse of the truth, and this has been pointed out bazillions of times by those on both sides of the argument who actually understand what logic is. It really is one of the dumbest things any human has ever said.

But it makes a really good sound bite for those who either don't have enough logic to see the fallacy immediately, as even most athiests do, or who just don't want to bother with actually thinking for a minute.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the fact that you took the time to point out my idiocy James. Thank you for your comments.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Jamesaritchie said:
That isn't a profound line, it's incredibly old and stupid line. Not only is it illogical, it's the exact reverse of the truth, and this has been pointed out bazillions of times by those on both sides of the argument who actually understand what logic is. It really is one of the dumbest things any human has ever said.

But it makes a really good sound bite for those who either don't have enough logic to see the fallacy immediately, as even most athiests do, or who just don't want to bother with actually thinking for a minute.

Speaking of tolerance... ahem...

Instead of phrasing it this way, why don't you elucidate us, James? (In other words, what's so illogical about the quote?)

Last edited:

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm technically not an athiest (don't know for sure God doesn't exist) I found the article cogent and convincing.
What confounds me are the stats about how many people claim they believe but live totally secular lives. If the Christian God of the Bible exists and you know it then you are obligated to live like Peter, Paul or even Jesus.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't think James was saying YOU were stupid for finding the line profound, kikazaru. He's saying the line is stupid. You're both entitled to your opinions because, again, even those with the same belief structure will have differing logic within that belief.

Although I would appreciate a little more "IMO" or expansion of logic rather than blanket statements, James.

What confounds me are the stats about how many people claim they believe but live totally secular lives.

What confounds you about it, Kentuk? Religion isn't the absence of secularity, IMO. When a person strives to lead a good life--meaning to love and share, while still enjoying the trappings of the bounty to further their joy in existence, why should that limit their ability to serve the tenets of their faith? I've read a number of the texts of various religions and they ALL mostly provide a guideline for life that includes some variation of: Don't kill, Don't steal, Don't be jealous, Don't be hateful, etc., etc. There's a lot of wisdom in the various texts, when taken as a whole. Merely because I haven't selected ONE underlying belief system or even think ANY belief system is the one truth doesn't lessen my desire to follow what I consider to be wise advice in co-existing with the rest of humanity.

It's when it's taken to an extreme--when following every single dogmatic tenet MUST take the place of secularity for fear of losing their place in the scheme of the religion is when intolerance sets in, and fanaticism turns to hatred. Again, IMO. :)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Atheists can no more be lumped together than Pagans. Hell, some atheists are Pagan.

I'm atheist, but I most certainly have spiritual beliefs. I'm atheist because I'm Buddhist which is an atheistic religion--that is, it has no gods.

Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie

Do enlighten me. It seems like a logical statement to me.

Christian doctrine dismisses other Gods. Zeus is no more real to them than God is to me.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Old and stupid

Jamesaritchie said:
That isn't a profound line, it's incredibly old and stupid line.

I've always thought that "profundity" was essentially an old and stupid idea made even older and stupider. Or more ancient and more stupid.

It's like the "chicken and the egg" problem: which came first the memorable antiquity or the stupidity.

God knows, all of the sensible things people say are forgotten in the blink of God's omniscient, ah, incredible mental thing.

It's even worse when you consider what the oldest preserved human utterances are: inventories, loans and divinatory procedures. You could combine them all in one profoundly stupid sentence:

"If the swamp birds return so that it rains tomorrow, the three mud huts, two mud fences and one mud gate that I made to repay the Taskmaster's oldest son, will be like unto piles of mud in the eyes of the God who sent me the swamp birds to warn me of the rain."

Oh, the humanity....

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
benbradley said:

...And I have not often found even this (as much as "some") to be the case. Many theists believe that the apologies they owe for their wrongdoings can be comfortably made much later than the offense, and directed towards entities other than the victim.

Last edited:

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Hi K. I generally don't post on these threads, mostly because I'm respectful of boundaries, and if atheists want an atheist forum I respect that.

I saw the topic heading and when I read the premise I sort of felt this was an open letter to non-atheists.

If you don't mind, I'll respectfully make a few comments, but not with any intention to be argumentative.

The writer who wrote the article may have claimed to be an atheist, but once he stated his opinions of not discounting a higher being could exist, he slipped into agnosticism. So, technically, he's a closet agnostic. Pure atheism is rather emphatic on the declaration. "I've come to the conclusion that God cannot exist...because" And as the argument spins to, "Well, I know that if God does exist...it isn't your God..." it really isn't a pure atheistic argument anymore and actually a statement of atheistic unbelief.

As an atheist (former), I had my reasons for believing and not believing, but that doesn't mean I never had doubts. Genetics made me doubt- how complex the entire genetic computer chip was and the processes by which permanent changes could occur in the actual code without destroying or harming the organism. The intricacies of microbiology- the complexity of the cell structure and the sub-atomic universe, made me doubt. The immune systems redundancy back-up systems, which is brilliant. And a series of what were basically accepted as highly fortunate complex accidents, made me doubt. Then some might say I was a weak atheist who missed the bigger picture. But it was very much a religious process, in that there wasn't just this one-sided argument where everything was spotlessly clear. I had to reinforce my believe (in atheism) whenever something happened that made me question it. And so I realized I was making a mental case all the time. What about injustice? What about unfairness? In a sense, I had a list of everything I saw wrong with the world as my hot list of reasons to why I had a right to stick to my atheistic convictions.

I'd like to comment further. On many points I agree, because when I was an atheist I had morals and love and values and a variety of worldviews that seem rather fiting into the clasification called "virtues". Perhaps the Good Samaratin was an atheist. All we know was that he had a different worldview, but did the right thing. So, I don't discount atheists exhibiting virtue. Perhaps in some moral sense, many atheists are more moral than religious counterparts.

I don't think of atheists as particularly immoral and certainly not stupid. In fact, perhaps if you did a pole, more atheists would come up on the higher end of the IQ curve. And I've heard this argument, "We are smarter- therefore righter" as if any of us have an IQ high enough to find or disprove God, which isn't really possible. If God wishes to hide or reveal himself, our ability to catch him or avoid him would be rather unsuccessful. But from a scientific standpoint, I believed that one could look for evidences. And in a scientific way, look at religious claims and experiences, just like any so-called psychic phenominom. "Do people experience something or anything that exists outside of the explanable Universe?" If so, what triggers it, can it be validated in any possible way?

The question which is perhaps difficult for a scientific mind- which some people have- is that it likes everything to follow a neat order that we can grasp. It does not like to fiddle around with the idea of "Revelation", a God who can meddle with nature or show himself to people. But still, a scientist can't rule that out, and doing so shows a bias towards a conclusion. So, I went on a search to try as best as I could to learn if anyone was having any sort of experiences, and what they were, and if they were in any way predictable and not simply delusions and hallucinations or wishful thoughts. To write them off because I didn't have them was simply too easy and suggested to me, that I didn't want to know the answer- that really bothered me to consider as an atheist that I really had my own bent- I wanted to believe I was correct and anything outside that would test my beliefs as an atheist, distrubed my atheist faith. Still to be intellectually honest, I had to face that crossroads and admit I could be wrong.

I didn't assume any group was incapable of having experiences that I didn't understand or some kind of affirmation that I didn't see. In other words, things could exist outside of my own reference, just like trees could grow in some parts of the world but not others. I questioned, 'Is it possible if you live in some space or even mindset, could you be more open to seeing/hearing what I never saw from where I was metaphorically standing?'

The approach to the question of God, is really, are we opened or closed to the idea? And if so, why? And if so, will that bent effect the outcome of the experiment, if indeed we are looking to see if there is any validity to anyone's faith, be if of any stripe?

Perhaps those who are born into Christian families never question faith. But this doesn't mean all who have a belief are without reason and haven't worked it in what could be called a scientific way.

Yes, some people judge atheists; and when I was an atheist back in the seventies, it was akin to outing yourself. It wasn't popular and people looked at you like a space alien. Atheists have come quite a long ways in terms of societal shifts. At least I came out of the closet and admitted I was an atheist to the amusement and chagrin of relatives and friends. I believed in intellectual honesty- and still do.

There are scientific principles that actually cause one to ponder the existence of a higher intelligence and a hand guiding the Universe. It is not without logic or reason. That is far from saying one sees RNA and believes in a religious creed; but it does bring others to a precipice of wondering if indeed God could exist. Science impacted my views when I became an atheist, and science also caused me to question atheism. I know scientists who are atheist and equally brilliant scientists that believe in God- through science- which some believe is an impossibility.

At any rate, I agree with some of the article's points, while not agreeing with some of its arguments and conclusions. Again, this is not an argument, but only a statement of my own reasoning processes and views on this person's views as I read them.

Nate

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
The Good Samaritan

Nateskate said:
Perhaps the Good Samaratin was an atheist. All we know was that he had a different worldview, but did the right thing.

There's no reason to think that the virtuous Samaritan was an atheist. After all, he is referred to as a "Samaritan"...ie a native of Samaria which is just north of Judea. Samaritans were a religious group, in much the same way that Judeans...indeed, in a precisely parallel way...that Judeans were assumed to be Jews, ie the regional designation was also the designation for a religious group.

The Samaritan worldview cannot have been all that different from that of the Judeans. They worshipped the same God and had the same religious texts as the Judeans. They did have one important difference and grievance: the Judeans destroyed the Samaritan Temple in 103 BC or so.
After the Romans destroyed the Judean Temple in 70 AD, the Samaritans and Judeans were in similar situations except that the Samaritans were never expelled from their sacred land and some of them are still there.

The favorable notice of the Samaritan and other early stories suggest there may have been an early strand of Christianity that derived from how the Samaritans coped with having their Temple destroyed.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Some interesting quotes here. Cool thread.

benbradley said:
Yes, some atheists do believe that. I suspect there are some religious people who believe that too.

Yes, there are quite a few religious people--heck, some religious texts I can think of, as well--that believe life is meaningless.

As are a lot of religious folk. I speak this as a religious person myself. I cannot begin to tell you how arrogant I've seen other people be--even how arrogant I've acted, sometimes--in the name of their religion. It's not fun to deal with at all, especially when the same people preach that you need to be humble in life. It really is a strange paradox, to be sure.

I don't like the way this is answered. It seems to say that certain emotional states are spiritual (and that, of course, atheists have these emotions), but this could be misleading as some people see the word spiritual as meaning having a belief in God. Certainly by that definition of spiritual, atheists ARE closed to spiritual experience.

I agree. The idea of a spiritual state does not always automatically mean G-d. I think there are a lot of spiritual experiences that have to do with one's own spirit, and not just a higher power.

I think you've made some excellent points.

ETA:

I apologize for generalizing all atheists together. Such was not my intent. Only after I posted did I find out that some atheists do believe in a god of some sort. I hope you'll all forgive my naivete.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sokal said:
There's no reason to think that the virtuous Samaritan was an atheist. After all, he is referred to as a "Samaritan"...ie a native of Samaria which is just north of Judea. Samaritans were a religious group, in much the same way that Judeans...indeed, in a precisely parallel way...that Judeans were assumed to be Jews, ie the regional designation was also the designation for a religious group.

The Samaritan worldview cannot have been all that different from that of the Judeans. They worshipped the same God and had the same religious texts as the Judeans. They did have one important difference and grievance: the Judeans destroyed the Samaritan Temple in 103 BC or so.
After the Romans destroyed the Judean Temple in 70 AD, the Samaritans and Judeans were in similar situations except that the Samaritans were never expelled from their sacred land and some of them are still there.

The favorable notice of the Samaritan and other early stories suggest there may have been an early strand of Christianity that derived from how the Samaritans coped with having their Temple destroyed.

I agree with you that the Samaritans were probably not atheistic but believed in a god (as a group); however, they didn't worship the same as the Judeans, who believed strictly in the worship of ONE God. The Samaritan race evolved as a result of the Jews intermarrying with the Canaanites in the region, who worshipped many deities. That led to the development of a syncretistic faith (they worshiped idols AND Yahweh), which is actually what led most Jews to despise them--hence, the punch of the story of the Good Samaritan.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Kentuk said:
While I'm technically not an athiest (don't know for sure God doesn't exist)

I think this is probably one of the more common myths about athiesm. Atheism is not a disbelief in god, it is the absence of belief in god. Yes, there is a difference.
I consider myself an atheist, and I feel it would be remarkably arrogant to suggest that there is no possibility whatsoever for the existence of a creator being. I simply don't believe there is one.
I still have room for the spiritual side of life, I just attribute it more to the human spirit, and not some big old bearded fella sitting on a cloud*.

*Yes, I know that's not what anyone really believes.

Edited because I noticed another myth about atheism - that it is spelt 'athiesm' :tongue

Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
This would be news to the Samaritans

Pat~ said:
I agree with you that the Samaritans were probably not atheistic but believed in a god (as a group); however, they didn't worship the same as the Judeans, who believed strictly in the worship of ONE God. The Samaritan race evolved as a result of the Jews intermarrying with the Canaanites in the region, who worshipped many deities. That led to the development of a synchretistic faith (they worshiped idols AND Yahweh), which is actually what led most Jews to despise them--hence, the punch of the story of the Good Samaritan.

It appears that the low opinion that the Judeans had of the Samaritans led them to write some fiction into the Biblical tale (in Kings). According to the Samaritans themselves, they stuck to the original Yahwehistic cult and the Judeans added things later (rather than the Judean account in the Judean Bible which is apparently also the Christian account in the Christian Bible where the Samaritans added other cults). Actually, the Samaritans only have the Yahweh cult, as is clear (apparently) from their own biblical texts, which are close to that of the Judeans and Christians, but naturally doesn't say nasty things about the Samaritans' adding cults to the one basic Yahweh cult.

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Sokal said:
It appears that the low opinion that the Judeans had of the Samaritans led them to write some fiction into the Biblical tale (in Kings). According to the Samaritans themselves, they stuck to the original Yahwehistic cult and the Judeans added things later (rather than the Judean account in the Judean Bible which is apparently also the Christian account in the Christian Bible where the Samaritans added other cults). Actually, the Samaritans only have the Yahweh cult, as is clear (apparently) from their own biblical texts, which are close to that of the Judeans and Christians, but naturally doesn't say nasty things about the Samaritans' adding cults to the one basic Yahweh cult.
That's curious and interesting. Could you give me an objective source on the "fiction in[to] the Biblical tale (in Kings)?" Also on where the Samaritans retained the "original Yawehistic cult and the Judeans added things later?" (The quote marks are not sarcasm, I just wanted to be precise). It appears you appeal to the word of the Samaritans for your rationale over the word of the Judeans. What tips the scales of truth in their direction in your estimation?

Status
Not open for further replies.