PDA

View Full Version : friendly form rejection

Odile
12-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I had a friendly rejection this week.
It said

We’ve had the chance to review your query, and at this time, we do not feel that it would be best represented by our agency. Please keep in mind that this is a very subjective business, and we wish you all the best in finding a home for your work and having it published. Please feel free to come to us with future queries.

I'm a beginner at this, any light on the subject is more than welcome.
Is this a very typical form rejection?
Did I choose the wrong agency? (it is non-fiction)
Do they think my work is not ready for submission yet?

Elektra
12-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Form. Though the future queries thing is nice. Many agents have different form letters, and this one may be their "Not right, but I like the style" form.

Odile
12-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Hmm... Not right. Would this be that the topic is not right? Or right topic not well developped... (thinking out loud, please share your thoughts)

Sassenach
12-25-2006, 02:26 AM
Don't torture yourself. There is nothing to figure out in a form rejection.

Toothpaste
12-25-2006, 03:30 AM
A form rejection is really just a no. It could be many kinds of no's, they like it but it's not their genre, they don't like it at all. The real way to get a sense of a general feel about your work is to see how many rejections you get, and what kind (some rejections are personalised and they even give you notes). If you get nothing but form rejections over and over again, then you can start reading into it. Right now, I'd just forget about this one and move on.

johnzakour
12-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Yep, it's a nice way of saying "no thanks." Or if you prefer you can think of it as, "no thanks, for now."

I agree with the others, forgot it about and move on.

(BTW, I always tried to read between the lines in these types of rejections also. I gave myself headaches from squinting so hard. So you certainly aren't alone.)

Odile
12-25-2006, 06:39 PM
:ROFL: I'm not the only one reading between the lines... (of recognition)
Thanks for the clear answer. I don't torture myself but think much. (you can put 'too' in if you really want)
Now I get to pick another agent. The problem is that I cannot do the 'pick up a book in your bookstore thing'.
Amazone will have to do.

glassquill
12-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Don't give up. Just keep looking. I'm sure there's an agent out there who will love your work.

:e2cheer:

RainbowDragon
12-31-2006, 09:21 PM
agentquery.com is a good resource for finding agents who represent your kind of book(s). And it's free. You might want to query more than one at once, though, some don't respond at all to e-mail queries unless they're interested, and lag time on snail mail can be as much as 2 months (or more!)
Good luck!

FloVoyager
01-03-2007, 12:01 AM
It was nice of them to leave to door open for future projects. That says something about your writing, I think. This project wasn't for them, but maybe the next one will be. Try again then. :)

aarthurco
01-06-2007, 05:18 PM
It's pretty form, but don't let that discourage you! Send them something else in the future, why not? Go for it. You can do it and chin up!

jodiodi
01-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Wow. I'm so jealous. The e-mail form rejection I got today was nice but flat-out said, "we do not believe we are the agency for you." I'm beginning to think there IS no agency for me.

So take heart; at least your rejections don't turn you into a pariah.

Saundra Julian
01-09-2007, 03:29 AM
Just wait until you get one that starts out... Dear Occupant, :D

ORION
01-09-2007, 05:40 AM
This may not be appropriate but consider this.
My novel (that just sold) had been rejected by this one agent and when he saw the deal in PW & PM he emailed his congratulations by hitting reply on the rejection he had sent me via email!
It was as satisfying as you all can imagine and more.
The moral?
It just takes one agent to love your work. Keep submitting and have hope!
I have 70 rejections for two different projects in my drawer.

andracill
01-09-2007, 06:55 AM
That's awesome, Orion :) It did make me smile!

Odile
01-11-2007, 11:25 PM
70 rejections? wow, that's perseverance. I'm sorry - the agent sent you congratulations on the rejection form?
Did I really read this?

Odile
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Dear Jodiodi,

A pariah, well that's very hard judgment on yourself. Maybe doing research if the agent publishes similar books to yours is an idea? I looked on agentquery.com what combination comes closest to my subject.

Did you go to a "learn how to write a query workshop"? I cannot for distance.

ORION
01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
yup! He recognized my name in Publishers Weekly and just used the email from his rejection to give me congrats - Tells you agents save their emails!

Pamster
01-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Congratulations ORION, that is really neat that the agent kept the email and recognized your name when he'd seen it sold. I just got my fifthe and am just getting started! ;)

Good luck Odile on getting an agent! It's not too easy to do from what I can gather, but still we have to try right? :D

Odile
01-14-2007, 01:48 AM
And the third with the word 'subjective'. Again, is this my overactive brain trying to percieve a hint or is it just another expression of the day?

This one included my first name. That's really nice.
Next agent...
or should I try directly to the publisher route...

(I wrote a non-fiction book and Jenna sends directly to the publisher)
I'm going to ask the agent this one, it includes my market being highly dispersed around the planet.

ORION
01-14-2007, 03:14 AM
It IS subjective. Don't go straight to the publisher if you cannot get interest from an agent it will be harder to get a publisher interested and you could burn some bridges and make it hard for an agent to submit.
Agentquery.com and put up your query letter in the "show your work" section here and over at writers.net.
If you do have a real niche market you may have to look at Lulu.com (POD's)
But wait until you garner over a hundred rejections.

Odile
01-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay, so I just continue and rewrite the query.

Toothpaste
01-15-2007, 04:16 AM
And also remember that three rejections is nothing in the scheme of things. I consider my tally of rejections extremely small and it numbers around 14. Many people get well up to 100 rejections and often it has little to do with the quality of the work, just more a matter of timing and finding the right agent to query at the right time. If I hadn't happened to include the agent who signed me (who was the ONLY one to ask for anything further than what I sent in my inital mailout) I could still be querying now.

steveg144
01-16-2007, 12:04 AM
I had a friendly rejection this week.
It said
I'm a beginner at this, any light on the subject is more than welcome.
Is this a very typical form rejection?
Did I choose the wrong agency? (it is non-fiction)
Do they think my work is not ready for submission yet?

I got the same query last week. Verbatim.

steveg144
01-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Hmm... Not right. Would this be that the topic is not right? Or right topic not well developped... (thinking out loud, please share your thoughts)

As Miss Snark always says, a form rejection means "no." Period. Don't navel-gaze over it or try to read more into "no" than is there. Move on.