PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker Worthy Cartoons

Linda Adams
12-24-2006, 05:46 PM
This is an article from the Washington Post on the slush pile for the New Yorker cartoons: Very Fine Lines (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/23/AR2006122300893.html). I thought it sounded similar to what I imagine a slush pile for queries is like, but it also has an interesting discussion on humor and what's funny and acceptable, as well as what's funny and not acceptable.

CBeasy
12-24-2006, 06:31 PM
That's funny, because that is totally how I picture any editor's selection process.

PeeDee
12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
If I sold four things for every seven hundred I submitted, I think I would be a wee bit of a negative person. Wow.

benbradley
12-24-2006, 07:06 PM
About six years ago I lived on Long Island for a year and a half. There was a man and (I presume) his wife who lived across the street and who seemed friendly enough, they waved when I saw them, and I even ran into them once at the grocery store. I never got to know them past "hello." As I was moving out a real estate agent was showing the place, and was telling the prospect "And across the street lives George Booth, a regular New Yorker cartoonist."