Rewriting for Gaming Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine asked me if I might be interested in working for a Korean gaming company that is looking for writers. Basically, they want someone to take text that has been translated from Korean, proofread it and polish it according to linguistic guidelines. It's a fantasy role-playing game so the characters are elves and other races. For example, the elves use a higher register and sound sort of 19th-century British.

Does anyone have ANY idea what kind of rate per word people get for this type of writing? I think what they are trying to pay is way under market, but I'm not sure.

I've always worked by the hour and not by the word, so I want to make sure that the rate is at least in the ballpark.

Thanks,

Rachel

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Hi, Rachelm. :)

First, COOL! There's nothing as much fun as working on a video game, even if you're just doing the text. Video games are a rare and interesting best. :)

Second: Being an out of country game developer means that they may not be properly aware of what the going rate is for what is essentially freelancing. Have you signed a contract yet? If I may ask (feel free not to answer) what are they offering to pay you?

Don't sell yourself short, no matter what. If they aren't willing to pay an amount you set, because it's too high, they'll tell you. I'd recommend hitting the Freelance writing forum, if you haven't already.

(in fact, if any mods are reading this, maybe this thread would do better over there?)

rachelm

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Peedee,

It does sound like a fun job!

You're right, I think I'll repost the original over there.

The rate is a bit lower due to the fact that they are going through a 3rd party. The rate quote I got was 4-5 cents a word for editing and rewriting/adapting as needed. I haven't seen the text yet, so I don't know how bad it is. If I were going through them directly, I'm sure the rate would be somewhat higher. But I know someone at the 3rd party (a translation/localization firm), and he says localization firms pay that rate.

He said that good editors can cover about 10000 words a day. My guess is that the translation must not be that bad--otherwise, that number seems very high.

I told my contact that I wanted to verify the rate with some people who do this and he said fine.

Thanks,

Rachel

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I replied to your other post in Roundtable...

but YES, this is a fun job. I haven't done games, but rewriting (actually it's called "English Adaptation") is a good gig, if you like to rewrite and have an aptitude for it.

I enjoy it, especially since I can work from home.

rachelm

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Christina! I'll check out your other posting.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.