Every year, it happens *shakes head sadly* (I love books :D)

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Every year for Christmas, they ask, "What would you like?" And I say, "Books. Just books." Only a few books would hold me over, really. Just 2 nice books, with the fresh bookstore smell and the satisfaction of holding crisp, new, unturned pages between my fingers. Or perhaps a nice used book, with the cover slightly frayed and the pages already worn in, with the smell of old paper and hardback covers and the sense of a good read on the dusty trail ahead radiating from it. Just a book or two, that's all I need.

But no. Every year, they get me anything BUT a book. Cooking stuff, clothes, scarves, candles, anything to avoid a book. Sure, the stuff is nice, but they know as well as I do that it will probably get lost in the raging storm that is my room (I have a typical writers room, the only thing still semi-organized is the litter on my comp desk and the bookshelf. Trash on the right hand side, dirty dishes on the left, dirty clothes underneath, sci fi on the top, horror on the bottom, everything else sorted into a mystery category on my 4 other humoungous bookshelves and anything that doesn't fit is next to, or on, the bed.)

Finally this year, as an early Christmas present, I got two books that I REALLY wanted. They were handed over to me, I literally jumped and screamed and moshed with myself for approximately 10 minutes, lost about 3 pounds, had a cigarette, then propped a squat and read them both in four hours. Completely finished both of them. All done.

Now, I don't know what to do with myself. I still got the livre-buzz going on, so I can't read another book for another 4 hours or so. I can't watch tv, because it's a waste of electricity, and I can't cook because I know I'll get distracted thinking about the stories. And I enjoy it. I love the book buzz.

I love books. Why don't all these chummy happy-go-lucky, I'll-call-once-a-year-to-bug-you-about-your-hair-and-get-you-an-overpriced-gift-that-we-both-know-will-end-up-rotting-in-the-corner gift givers figure out that the Tsuki is happy when you spend a whole dollar to get a cheap book at the local Paradox or something? I'm sure they don't like me all that that much, and I know I don't like them all that much, so if they insist on giving a gift for the sake of fairness, why not spent the smallest amount of money possible and we'll both be happy? Why do we continue to dance this superficial dance of love and tango the tango of the empty wallet and bookshelf?

Does this every happen to you? They say "You want what?" and you say "I want the cheap-rinky-dink-lovable-mystery-item" and then they get you, I don't know, tanzanite encrested mummies or something? Should I go AWOL around Christmas so maybe they'll forget about me like they do the rest of the year? I hate having my bookshelf covered in boxes of girly perfumed snot-consistancy snot and cheesy bajillion dollar sweaters that will eventually be given to Grandma in the next week....

And that was my holiday rant. *bow*

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
My mum always buys me stuff I just do not want. One year she bought me the ugliest photo frame I've ever seen, and said "I know you like these ones" so I had to smile and be thankful and grateful, and pretend that I absolutely loved it. It's still stashed away in a cupboard somewhere. Luckily she doesn't visit that often, so she's never noticed. But she tries. And I'm thankful for that. It's just that her tastes are different to mine.

Personally I don't think Christmas should be about giving presents (or cards from people who don't even know you!) I think it should be about being with people you care about.

If I ever do ask for a specific thing, I tend to get it, which is nice. I just don't ask that often.

Hope you get what you want.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel. It took 5 years before I could convince my husband to stop buying me electronics as gifts. Luckily I got slapped with the Bookworm label very young (I had an older sister who was "the pretty one" leaving me free to be "the smart one") so that was never a problem. As soon as boys come into the equation, however, it's a whole different ball game. I have one friend who snooped and discovered that her husband is building her a compost bin for Christmas. She e-mailed me going "What part of new pajamas didn't he understand?"

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Ask for $$$$ and then go buy the damn books-the ones YOU WANT!

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and wedding presents are the best. I got three crock pots when I got married. I don't know why being married suddenly meant I was supposed to become the sort of person who planned meals 12 hours in advance... I exchanged the three crock pots for camping equipment, and got much more use out of them!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The problem with asking for books is that unless you tell people WHICH books, they get scared. My husband, dog love him, is a wonderful man who cannot for the life of him navigate his way through Barnes and Noble. You have to say things like, "I want the big book of Edgar Allen Poe stories, it's black and has a red ribbon on it, and they've got it at B&N for $19.99 right back there by the Classics section." I tell my sister in law, "Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum books Seven, Eight and Nine, paperback only." Otherwise, most folks go into a bookstore, detour to the right to have a Starbucks, buy a book of Sudoku puzzles and run screaming in fear back out the door.

If you want books, write 'em an itemized list, complete with ISBN numbers, price, and which aisle in the store they live in.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My family always tells me what I want. No matter how many times they ask, "What do you want?" When I tell them, they tell me, "Oh you don't want that!" But I do I really really do!
Hoping I get that Dictionary after 2 decades of asking.... Lol

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Patti nailed it, I think. Pretty intimidating just looking for "books", even for someone you know well.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I love it when people who don't know precisely what I like to read get me books. It's always weird and off the wall, and sometimes it's a fascinating read.

This old lady I knew when I was a kid (mowed her lawn, helped with her husband, who has alzheimers) knew I liked to read, so she got me this dusty box of books out of her basement. It was full of cool old sci-fi books. A bunch of Ace pocket books, and the like. That was enormous fun.

I like gift cards for bookstores, because I don't know what it is I'm reading next right up until I pick up the book and start reading it.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My family is boring. We all like books and everyone gives Amazon, B&N and Borders gift cards. We give other stuff too, but we all like to read. Sometimes I buy books that I know my parents will like because we trade books so much that I know what they like. My husband is harder. He reads BFF (big, fat fantasy). I don't understand the genre so I have him tell me specific book and authors or just give him the gift card.

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Tzuki will have to marry me. :)
I'm always buying books for my wife. Birthday, Christmas, just because, I keep coming home with them.

I buy books for her because I know she likes the author, or because the title is catchy, or I think I'll like reading it myself - any reason is good enough.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
It really sucks that your parents don't encourage your reading more. Perhaps they're worried that reading more will further your already egregious intelligence and you'll be able to subvert them completely to your will. Yeah, that's probably it. Regardless, congrats on getting a good X-mas present!

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I have a tradition. Every year, he gets me a hardback book. He's been doing it for the past 10 years, since our first Christmas of dating. I'm one of those people who read just about anything, any genre, so I'm always happy with whatever he picks out.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I too love to read but never get books as gifts. I think Patti hit that one on the head though. If they don't have specifics they are lost in the store, especially if they don't enjoy reading. Silly though it may sound, one of my Aunts gave me a skein of yarn last year and I was immediately trying to figure out what I could make with it.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Tsuki reads Technical manuals issued by the U.S. Navy, as well as Non-linear prose works exploring the deep soulful feelings of twelve year old gothic punk kids who hate their dads. It's her favorite.

:D

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Tsuki reads Technical manuals issued by the U.S. Navy, as well as Non-linear prose works exploring the deep soulful feelings of twelve year old gothic punk kids who hate their dads. It's her favorite.

:D

Show off. :tongue

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I come from a family of readers, so Patti's problem isn't for my family.
However, last year, after giving my mother a monstrous list of books that I would like (lots of choice there), I was told days before Christmas that books aren't Christmas presents. They were kind enough to get me an Amazon gift card.

This year I made a list of books and topped it off with a slot for a B&N gift card. It's the closet bookstore and an hour away, so those are always special trips.

My husband's family would probably run shrieking from books if they got too close.

As an added tidbit, it seems my practical nature is lost on my father. After looking at this year's list, he says, "Don't you want anything fun?"

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Soccer Mom said:
My family is boring. We all like books and everyone gives Amazon, B&N and Borders gift cards. We give other stuff too, but we all like to read. Sometimes I buy books that I know my parents will like because we trade books so much that I know what they like. My husband is harder. He reads BFF (big, fat fantasy). I don't understand the genre so I have him tell me specific book and authors or just give him the gift card.
Damn, I wish I had your family, I really, really, really do. MOst of my family has never even picked up a magazine, much less a book. "Who's Stephen King?" :cry:

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, I will send you a book for x-mas. I even have a few from that Stephen King guy. I also have lot's of books with big pictures and little words I can send you. Just send me your name, addy, credit card number, social, and any other info you have available. Your book will arrive in 7-10 after processing is complete. Thank you for your order.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
I like books with big pictures and small words. Look at that, that cat has on a hat. Ohhhhhhh, pretty!

Which is why, to this day, Kevin will not hop on top of pop.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
PattiTheWicked said:
The problem with asking for books is that unless you tell people WHICH books, they get scared. My husband, dog love him, is a wonderful man who cannot for the life of him navigate his way through Barnes and Noble. You have to say things like, "I want the big book of Edgar Allen Poe stories, it's black and has a red ribbon on it, and they've got it at B&N for $19.99 right back there by the Classics section." I tell my sister in law, "Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum books Seven, Eight and Nine, paperback only." Otherwise, most folks go into a bookstore, detour to the right to have a Starbucks, buy a book of Sudoku puzzles and run screaming in fear back out the door.

If you want books, write 'em an itemized list, complete with ISBN numbers, price, and which aisle in the store they live in.
The onyl problem? My family knows what none of this means. They only time they were in a book store was to get a magazine that they couldn't find at Kroger.:(