Vortex of Revelation

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, I went surfing on the PA website. the first thing I saw was the "PA Books Become Movies!" in the upper left hand corner.
It says:

"The book Vortex of Revelation by A.B. Keller, which is stocked in a whopping 42 bookstores spanning 21 states, has entered production for a movie! Filming for Vortex of Revelation will begin in June 2007, and the movie will be shot on-location in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Texas.
Over 1000 people from 24 states are involved in this massive grassroots effort to film Vortex Of Revelation, and the music soundtrack of the movie now has 17 different Christian recording artists from all over America including the Philadelphia Boys Choir, who will perform several choral pieces."

Okay, so first of all, a whopping 42 bookstores in 21 states. Lovely. They also talk about "Shelly's Diary" - something that we all figured out doesn't exist.

Could these people get any worse?

Tanatra

Burning Bright
Registered
Reaction score
The stars at night, are big and bright...
It doesn't have an IMDB page either, and a "massive grassroots effort" of over 1000 people would certainly have one by now. Hell the movie adaption of "The Last Unicorn" (which I would really like to see become a reality) only had 2 people involved and wasn't even slated for production, and it had a page!

Unless it's an independent film, the fact that they didn't mention a production company is a dead giveaway of its "authenticity".

I sure am glad that I researched PA before being sucked into its trap like so many other aspiring writers. The traditional publication process may be intensely difficult and full of rejection when I pursue it, but at least I have a vague idea of what to expect after being accepted.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Last edited:

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Jim, which I greatly enjoyed. According to the funding page many have seen 'the hand of God' at work here, quite an impressive backer to have in your financial portfolio. He is listed after some of the other backers, 'secretaries, truck drivers, a make up artist' etc.

Orders popcorn.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
He is listed after some of the other backers, 'secretaries, truck drivers, a make up artist' etc.

Orders popcorn.

His agent advised Him on this strategy. Makes it easier to have His name removed from the credits when He sees the final product.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It really did say "a whopping 42 bookstores." That is to say, half of one percent of all American bookstores.

No word yet on whether those are bookstores that have 'em on the shelf or bookstores that were willing to special order. Given that a large number of them are Borders Express outlets, I rather suspect the latter. (Over on the Kodron Productions page (a production company that has never actually made a movie) they helpfully list all the bookstores.

http://home.comcast.net/~abkeller/kodron.html

If anyone lives nearby to any of those, you might want to go check the shelves.

The way I read this, they've only managed to get 42 of those "over 1000 people" to special order. As to where the thousand folks come from: it's meetup.com. See http://www.google.com/search?q="vortex+of+revelation"+meetup for more.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
bea914 said:
and the music soundtrack of the movie now has 17 different Christian recording artists from all over America including the Philadelphia Boys Choir, who will perform several choral pieces."
Well, it's a good thing that all 17 of the Christian recording artists are different because if they were identical, that would be a tad boring. It's also good to know that the PBC will be performing choral numbers because that's...uh, well...what choirs do.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Tanatra said:
Unless it's an independent film, the fact that they didn't mention a production company is a dead giveaway of its "authenticity".

I would say it's a dead giveaway, even if it is an independent film. Even student filmmakers use a production company name! Geez! :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Kerry Eble-Keller and his wife, Ann Keller, are adapting Keller's self-published book "Vortex of Revelation" into a movie. The book and movie are about paranormal happenings and the ultimate struggle between good and evil connected to Christ's Second Coming.

That's from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, where they recognized a self-published book right off the bat.

The project's original director left because he was nervous about helming such a big project, Keller said.

That may indeed be what he said.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
"Launch the flying sub!"

The trailer is ... well, let's just say "Low Budget" has reached a new low.

I hope that they're not planning to kid anyone that this is Hollywood.

That's even below 'Low Budget'! In fact that gives 'Low Budget' a bad name! YUCK!:ROFL: Hmmmm...wonder what would happen if you tried to make a film version of 'Atlanta Nights' Uncle Jim. With this one and that one out there it could cause the Earth to implode!

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
emsuniverse said:
"The book Vortex of Revelation by A.B. Keller, which is stocked in a whopping 42 bookstores spanning 21 states..."
If you want proof that PA doesn't have a bricks-and-mortar distribution system, there it is: 42 bookstores in 21 states, yet they call it a "whopping" laydown. If they had any kind of distribution deal, the least of their books would get far more placement than that. The only possible conclusion is that PA doesn't have a distribution deal that puts books onto the bookstore shelves.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Wow that trailer is pretty...er...interesting. They could:

- Crop the video to make it look like it's wide screen, or add Letterboxing.
- Process it through a plug-in that makes it look like it was shot on film. Adding grain.
- Get titles that don't look like a 50's horror movie.
- don't feature dialog in the trailer, but action or suspense. Make it more like a teaser.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jim,

I so want to see that movie. That was just the best advert ever for PA 'Up In Lights' . I love how they managed to skillfully convey the opulent splendour of the Vatican. Who would have thought a gold, satin kaftan, some pine cladding and a plastic statue of Mary would have so convincingly recreated the Papal chambers. Magnificent.

Disclaimer: The above is the personal view of the author and is not to be used for promotional purposes.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
endless rewrite said:
Thanks Jim,

I so want to see that movie. That was just the best advert ever for PA 'Up In Lights' . I love how they managed to skillfully convey the opulent splendour of the Vatican. Who would have thought a gold, satin kaftan, some pine cladding and a plastic statue of Mary would have so convincingly recreated the Papal chambers. Magnificent.

Disclaimer: The above is the personal view of the author and is not to be used for promotional purposes.

I could nitpick about the priestly garb but I was too overwhelmed by the fact the Papal chambers were so opulent!

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
I think half the trailer was just a black screen. I get that channel on my TV at home. It's called OFF.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not 100% sure that the book is stocked in those bookstores. I think that those are the bookstores where someone (among the "thousands" who are supporting this film) had special-ordered a copy.

They helpfully list all the bookstores on the Vortex of Revelation site. If anyone lives near any of those stores, how about dropping by to ask if they really shelved it?