Holiday (blues) support thread...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Look, I know the holidays will suck for some people. Personally, I can appreciate the feelings of loneliness and despair. I spent most of my life dreading the Christmas holidays. Why? Because I grew up poor and most years of my life I never got anything or a throw-away gift at the last minute.

I will be here for anyone who wants to chat about their feelings. If you're down in the dumps and feeling depressed please feel free to PM me. But I can't, nor will I be, able to give any professional guidance or help.

I can just be someone to talk with...

If any fellow AW members would like to participate then please PM me. We must understand that this time of year is most difficult for artisans.

Cheers

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Susie said:
That's so kind of you, Spooky and I'm here too if anyone wants to talk. :Hug2:
Cool, thanks Susie. You're a special friend to all Absolute Writers.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Me too. We're having a quiet Christmas this year which should go fine but I'm anticipating a bit of sadness. Last year sucked because my nana died, this year my grandad. I feel better than I did last year even though his death was much more recent.

I will be here over Christmas to talk with anyone who needs it. Nice idea, Spooky.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:
Me too. We're having a quiet Christmas this year which should go fine but I'm anticipating a bit of sadness. Last year sucked because my nana died, this year my grandad. I feel better than I did last year even though his death was much more recent.

I will be here over Christmas to talk with anyone who needs it. Nice idea, Spooky.
Sorry to hear about your nana and grandpa. I know they must have meant a lot to you because I can sense you were close. I knew my great grandma, but not my grand parents because they died before I was born.

I hope you are doing okay. I am spending my holidays helping my mom recover from her back injury. I discovered (again and again) how much I love my family. So I have received the most precious gift ever: "I returned home after four years and saw most all my kin."

I had the best present already. My family and friends.

Be happy clock...and thanks so much for helping out.

Jon

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
My parents are putting down my childhood dog tomorrow.

That call ruined my day, impacted my work, which subsequently pissed off my boss, and got me tossed off a project while I'm still in probationary period.

Edit - It's not a family member. Don't want to make too much of it.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful idea, Spooky. (This very thing was how I made a terrific forum friend a couple years ago; she had the blues, and we PM'd. We've been emailing now for 2 years.)

I'm sorry you had it rough growing up. Some didn't have it rough materially, but have bad memories from family dysfunction or abuse that always got more pronounced during the holidays. I hope this thread or PMs can help.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
MattW said:

That call ruined my day, impacted my work, which subsequently pissed off my boss, and got me tossed off a project while I'm still in probationary period.

Very sorry to hear your news, Matt. The loss of a pet is easily as upsetting as a relative. I hope you find some peace soon.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
MattW said:

Hey Matt, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I remember when my friend, Bay, was lost and how much his death hurt. I was very upset for days and it too almost cost me a project with the company I contracted with at the time.

I don't know what to say. Do you have any good stories to share with us?

Jon

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, just checking in to the blues thread. Boy have I had the blues. I'm feeling a little battered and worn. I'm sending a big hug for everyone.

My friend's funeral was today. It has to get better.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Look, I know the holidays will suck for some people. Personally, I can appreciate the feelings of loneliness and despair. I spent most of my life dreading the Christmas holidays. Why? Because I grew up poor and most years of my life I never got anything or a throw-away gift at the last minute.

I will be here for anyone who wants to chat about their feelings. If you're down in the dumps and feeling depressed please feel free to PM me. But I can't, nor will I be, able to give any professional guidance or help.

I can just be someone to talk with...

If any fellow AW members would like to participate then please PM me. We must understand that this time of year is most difficult for artisans.

Cheers

:Hug2: Thanks Spooky

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Hi, just checking in to the blues thread. Boy have I had the blues. I'm feeling a little battered and worn. I'm sending a big hug for everyone.

My friend's funeral was today. It has to get better.

Oh Soccer Mom, I'm sorry! My friend died yesterday (funeral Saturday), so I can empathize a bit. Big hug back to you, friend.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Pat~ said:
Oh Soccer Mom, I'm sorry! My friend died yesterday (funeral Saturday), so I can empathize a bit. Big hug back to you, friend.

Good Lord, what a lot of grief that's going around at the moment. Blessings to everyone going through tough times. :Hug2:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:
Good Lord, what a lot of grief that's going around at the moment. Blessings to everyone going through tough times. :Hug2:
I kind of got all misty eyed thinking of Bay (Beethoven) my little friend. He was so cute. I can't believe an animal loved me so much that he waited by the door for me to come home at night. Geee...now I'm going to start bawling my eyes out.

Yes, this time of year is especially difficult for people and more so for artisans who are alone or depressed about thier careers.

I hope we (Absolute Writers) can take a few moments each day to think of our friends and fellow artisans.

Happy Holidays,

Jon

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat~ said:

Sorry about your friend Pat. It hurts to lose someone so close to the holiday.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
SpookyWriter said:
Yes, this time of year is especially difficult for people and more so for artisans who are alone or depressed about thier careers.

I hope we (Absolute Writers) can take a few moments each day to think of our friends and fellow artisans.

Happy Holidays,

Jon

We will. I promise.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
I've had a headach for two days.

This is the first year without my mom. I miss her so much.

Terri, I remember when you went to her funeral. I'm sorry you're missing her so much right now. How neat that you shared a good relationship...what was she like?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:

Terri, look at your beautiful kids running around with those happy smiles...:Hug2:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
writerterri said:

Hey Terri, I too as Pat, remember when you discovered your mother had died and the events of her funeral.

Oh this will be a tough time for you. Just don't forget you have a wonderful husband and two lovely kids who will be around to help when you need some special loving. Don't forget to hug them each very tightly everyday because they are your life now, as they will be forever, and need you during this holiday.

We here (Absolute Write) care very much for you. So please come back and talk to us if you need a shoulder to cry on or a friend. We are your friends and extended family.

Now, I must get ready for bed. I'm tired. I hope we can continue this thread until the holiday blues are over for us here.

Take care and best wishes,

Jon

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat~ said:
Terri, I remember when you went to her funeral. I'm sorry you're missing her so much right now. How neat that you shared a good relationship...what was she like?

We really didn't, Pat. She's been an addict all my life and she died of a drug over dose. My mom drove me nuts most of the time always worrying if she would be found dead and then it finally happened.

I miss just not having someone to call mom. She was high most of the time in the last 6 months of her life and I did everything I could do to save her from her death. I miss the fact that I'll never have the chance to have a real mom because it's over now. She would have given me grief this Christmas and I don't miss that, but it seems I miss something I can't have.

Sometimes when I'd call her she was level headed and sober and a real mom, but I couldn't' just let myself just freely love her. I didn't want to get hurt when I found out she killed herself. I lived every day with a hope that she would get it and quit the pills, quit getting high and see that I needed her before she left this place. Now she's gone and the hope is gone too.

I still find myself wanting to call her and make her laugh and have her tell me she was going to quit acting selfish and make me proud of her. She loved getting high more than she wanted to be my mom. At least when she was alive there was still that little hope to hold on to.

She loved me though, I realize that. She just couldn't let go of the pills long enough to reach me. The pills won and I lost. Why did she love being high so much? I'll never know.

She missed my 40th birthday, her favorite granddaughters first day of school, she's going to miss my first publishing if I ever get there, all because she needed that ultimate high.

She accepted what Jesus did for her on the cross, so now she's happy, but I'm not. I'm still here holding all these questions, all this baggage. And I still need a mother. What I would give to have an earthly parent to guide me through this life.

I saw a woman on TV last month give up her life for alcohol. Her mother and aunt were the sweetest little old ladies in the world, they just wanted to be free to love her, but she loves the drink more. If I could I would give my kidney to have those two women in my life.

For three years I was even shunned by my church because of my chronic illness and the women I reached out to dumped me, so I don't trust anybody to be that woman in my life. I've shut out all my past relationships with females. I just simply didn't give anyone my new phone number when I moved. I felt let down by all of them. I kept a couple of them and that's it. I won't even make friends with anyone at my church because I simply don't trust them or I can't connect with them.

I don't know why I just told you all that. I didn't mean to dump all that on you. I just dumped it all out on this page because it's quiet in my house and it needed to come out.

I'll feel better after the holidays.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terri, BIG hug to you, and thanks for sharing all that. I remember now, though I'd forgotten, that she had addiction problems. I'm so glad you recognize that she loved you the best she could--a lot of people who love people with addictions don't ever understand that.

I think you nailed it when you said this..."but it seems I miss something I can't have." I know that feeling well. (In fact, it exacerbates my own addictive tendencies at times.) My heart goes out to you.

I find a lot of comfort in Jeremiah 17:5-9 (I know you read the Bible, so that's why I'm mentioning this.) It took me along time to understand that that no human is worthy of my complete trust, even when I think that love might be there. Human love will always fail at some point, simply because it's not divine, though it can approach it at times. (My own love for people fails repeatedly, too.) But despite human failing, we still can love/trust if we keep perspective on the limits of human love. A lot of that for me came down to 1) learning not to expect unfailing love from people or myself, and 2) learning to exercise agape love towards people or myself(forgiving for human failure). This second one only came after a few years of therapy brought about by my failure to do exactly this.

You write beautifully, Terri. I hope someday you will write something about this for others to read, because you have so much to offer.

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat, I almost deleted that post a few times. I needed to get it out of me. Thanks for the verse. I have to read it a few times to really let it sink in. I know the Bible says that humans will let each other down. I keep searching for that one. Forgiveness is the key.

Thanks for listening.

Kathy says I should write articles for women's magizines. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
writerterri said:
Pat, I almost deleted that post a few times. I needed to get it out of me. Thanks for the verse. I have to read it a few times to really let it sink in. I know the Bible says that humans will let each other down. I keep searching for that one. Forgiveness is the key.

Thanks for listening.

Kathy says I should write articles for women's magizines. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
I think you should write articles about what you experienced with your mother. Maybe this will help you mend the broken heart.