Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
This post (Write Reviews for Company Books) on Freelance Work Exchange has garnered a lot of attention. They're asking for people to write and post reviews for their own books (on Amazon, LuLu.com, etc.). They'll pay $5 to $10 per review. Yeah, those reviews will be trustworthy.:tongue

It's a hot topic on at least one of the romance lists I read. (Actually two now that I've posted about it on mine. :D) There's also a post (and comments) about it on the SmartBitches blog.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
GMTA! I was just reading Smart Bitches and doing all the requisite eye-rolling when I spotted that.

I would say it's totally unbelievable but for some reason it's just...not.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Who the heck is Ken Welsh? I couldn't find any info to connect him with a book publisher in a quick online search, and I can't find any publisher named "Company Books." Dollars to donuts it's a POD hobby publisher (why post reviews on Lulu unless Lulu is the printer?)--which makes this a) not surprising, and b) nothing to get too upset about.

- Victoria

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It doesn't surprise me. I would hope that all customers would approach review like that with intense skepticiam anyway. We are all meant to be advertising savy post-Gen-Xers, right? It surprises me that even a small or self-publisher would think online reviews were worth giving a free copy, let alone paying for. Eeven semi-legit review sites demonstrate clear pro-author and pro-publisher biasses that are effectively becoming deceptive to the reader/customer and causing a certain counter-snarkiness and drift to the indy blog reviewers.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
victoriastrauss said:
...Dollars to donuts it's a POD hobby publisher (why post reviews on Lulu unless Lulu is the printer?)--which makes this a) not surprising, and b) nothing to get too upset about.
I think the reason this has garnered so much interested is a reaction to the frustration with reviews, lists, etc. planted by authors. Many readers know that there are many "reviews" on Amazon planted by authors or their friends. Some authors have admitted that they'll give a good review to a friend if that friend got a negative review. :rolleyes: And then you have certain authors (you know who they are) who post useless reviews of other books (or create useless lists that just happen to include their books) to promote their own books.* Many people are upset that Amazon has been slow (glacial in fact) in replying to complaints about the abuses. Yet at the same time, it often seems that Amazon is too quick to pull legitimate bad reviews if an author complains. Sigh.

*|I'm not counting authors who go to the trouble of writing detailed reviews of other writers' books, or creating lists based on a topic of their expertise. In fact, if I know their tastes, I often seek them out. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, these days I find Amazon reviews to be mostly useless precisely because of this. What really helps me make an informed decision(if I do purchase on Amazon) is checking out the Search Inside This Book feature. It lets you read the first five pages so you can get a good taste for the writing style. Of course it's not available for all books...boo.

(and then there's that handy Stats feature which gives you a book's word count)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aadams73 said:
Anne, these days I find Amazon reviews to be mostly useless precisely because of this.
I can get something out of them, but it depends on the field. Political and current events books? Forget it. :tongue Fiction, it depends. I try to go by the length of the review and what is actually said. (A short yet specific review can be helpful as well.) In some genres, I've learned to recognize the names of people who specialize in certain types of reviews. (If Alianore says a historical novel is inaccurate, I pay heed. :D)

aadams73 said:
What really helps me make an informed decision(if I do purchase on Amazon) is checking out the Search Inside This Book feature. It lets you read the first five pages so you can get a good taste for the writing style. Of course it's not available for all books...boo.
I have dial-up, so Search Inside doesn't always work well. And what I hate is when I finally get it to show up, and all it shows me is the copyright and title page. What's the point of that?
:roll:

aadams73 said:
(and then there's that handy Stats feature which gives you a book's word count)
Always a nice way to find out if you're about to buy a hefty tome or a tiny story that should have been published as a novella. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't know how many times I've seen a author who got negative review round up her mates to smother it in fluff positive reviews. Then there are demands that review be posted in order of rating with top ratings first, and so on. (Not to mention Anne Rice's little implosion). These reviews don't have much more weight, IMHO, than grafitti.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
What I never understood about authors posting reviews, bulding lists for their books, etc. is.....don't they have better things to do? Haven't they got writing they could be doing? Families that might want to see them? couldn't they go check and see if gravity is still working?

It's interesting how the writing world stays afloat when there's a chunk of its contributors which are stark raving lunatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.