Commercial Fiction -- What Does This Actually Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I'm posting this on the Humor forum because I know a lot of the folks here write more than humor and I just spent about an hour searching the AW site for this definition and couldn't find it. If my last few experiences hold true, that should mean it's somewhere REALLY obvious. So, I'm asking here, because I don't worry as much about sounding dumb over here...you all are used to me by now. ;)

I keep on seeing agents who say they want Literary Fiction -- fine, I know what that means. But many of them also say they want Commercial Fiction. Does this mean they want things like SF/F, Romance and Mystery, or does it mean something else?

Confused and tired minds want to know...at least one does, anyway.:)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
BruceJ said:
All commercials are fiction, in my opinion. You just can't trust Madison Avenue anymore....oh, wait. You meant...sorry. :)

LOL! I work in Marketing, so, yes, you are 100% correct.

But, um, yeah, I meant what is the definition of Commercial Fiction in an agent's mind?

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
Jeanne,

I found this through Google:

- - - -

Commercial fiction:

Commercial fiction uses high-concept hooks and compelling plots to give it a wide, mainstream appeal. Commercial fiction often has the “ouuuh” factor: summarize what happens in your novel in a single, succinct sentence, and you invariably get, “ouhhh, that sounds interesting!” Plot (the events) and story (the overall tale) are first and foremost; characters’ choices and actions create heightened drama that propels the reader forward with urgency.

Like literary fiction, the writing style in commercial fiction is elevated beyond generic mainstream fiction; but unlike literary fiction, commercial fiction maintains a strong narrative storyline as its central goal, rather than the development of enviable prose or internal character conflicts. Commercial fiction often incorporates other genre types under its umbrella such as women’s fiction, thriller, suspense, adventure, family saga, chick lit, etc. Commercial fiction is not the same as "mainstream" fiction, which is an umbrella term that refers to genre fiction like science fiction, fantasy, romance, mystery, and some thrillers.

- - - -

It was at http://www.agentquery.com/genre_descriptions.aspx

Duzzat help?

Last edited:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Ah, yes, Bruce, it does! At least the last sentences made it clear -- what it is NOT is (again) anything I write. LOL!

Thanks much for this -- everyone else seems to find things by Googling that remain hidden to me. I must have my Google filter set on "upid-stay".

BruceJ

Me and my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brucejudisch.com
JeanneTGC said:
Ah, yes, Bruce, it does! At least the last sentences made it clear -- what it is NOT is (again) anything I write. LOL!

Thanks much for this -- everyone else seems to find things by Googling that remain hidden to me. I must have my Google filter set on "upid-stay".
Glad it helps, Jeanne...'cuz I'm still kinda lost. :Shrug: I can read the words but I'm still not sure where the lanes in the road are between commercial and genre fiction. I'm glad you asked the question. Maybe you can explain my answer to me. My brain must have the same filter loaded as your Google does. :)

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and I want to know: how do I "elevate" my writing style?

I want my style elevated, dagnabbit. (I guess using words like "dagnabbit" isn't going to do it, huh?)

ltd.

(but seriously, what does that mean?)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Dagnabbit?

I believe it's a cousin to "gosh golly" and "flibbertygibbit". Though you're required to smoke a pipe while saying it.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
LOL!

I think it means The Da Vinci Code, The Name of the Rose, The Alienist, anything by Tom Clancy or John Grisham. Something that would fall into genre except that it sells really, really well and to people who "wouldn't normally READ fantasy" (hel-LO Harry Potter) who then buy and read it.

Note the slur on genre or "mainstream" fiction that the definition Bruce was able to find inferred -- mainstream fiction isn't written as well as literary fiction (the old argument that pisses so many of us genre writers off so very, very much).

So basically, if you can write decent sentences AND you have a genre book that a lot of people want to read, then you somehow move into commercial fiction.

I think if you have a book that's crossing a lot of genres it might be worth it to give a shot to an agent wanting commercial fiction.

Then again, I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. Once. In '83. But I WAS wrong. So it could happen again. :tongue

msQTpi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
TrailerParkGazette.bravehost.com
This is all quite arguable, but I am told the following: and it makes sense to me

Commercial fiction = plot and/or character driven stories which will appeal to the masses.

In commercial fiction the story itself is what is most important.

Literary Fiction = visual and/or emotion driven story written to appeal to those who love melting into the dream they are reading.

In Literary fiction the story is secondary to the beautiful way it is told.

Hope this helps.

Renee'

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
(still puzzling over this) So, the consensus here seems to be that none of us are completely sure, but we think Commercial Fiction means "as well-written as literary fiction, but not as boring." Is that it, you think??

ETA: I was kidding. :)

ltd.

Last edited:

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Woo-hoo! We have an answer! Our new member and guest right now over in Ask The Agent, Nathan Bransford, gave a great explanation of the difference between commercial and literary fiction. I was so excited when I read it, I wanted to run on over here and post it for everyone. :D

He said some GREAT things about plot in the same post, but I snipped it to just the Commercial/Literary aspect:

...This even applies to literary fiction. People often make the mistake of thinking that the main elements of literary fiction are unique prose and insight. To be sure those are important, but to me, the difference between commercial/genre fiction and literary fiction (which I understand was the topic of a recent dsicussion here) is that with commercial fiction the plot tends to happen above the surface (action, dialogue, confrontation) and with literary fiction the plot tends to happen below the surface (in the mind, heart, etc.)...

To me, that just fits. What do you guys think?

ltd.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Commercial fiction = The Stuff You Find In Bookstores.

That's it.

As oppose to academic fiction (from university presses) and literary fiction (the stuff you find in little magazines that come out two to four times a year and are called The [Name of nearest body of water] Review.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Commercial fiction = The Stuff You Find In Bookstores.

That's it.

As oppose to academic fiction (from university presses) and literary fiction (the stuff you find in little magazines that come out two to four times a year and are called The [Name of nearest body of water] Review.
:)

Well, sure, literally maybe. But is that what agents mean when they give a list of what they represent, and it includes, let's say, horror, YA, romance, and commercial fiction?

ltd.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
:)

Well, sure, literally maybe. But is that what agents mean when they give a list of what they represent, and it includes, let's say, horror, YA, romance, and commercial fiction?

ltd.

I like UJ's definition. If Random House is willing to give you money for rights to publish your book, you've just written commercial fiction. Commercial fiction includes different genres--horror, YA, romance, etc.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I like UJ's definition. If Random House is willing to give you money for rights to publish your book, you've just written commercial fiction. Commercial fiction includes different genres--horror, YA, romance, etc.
Yeah, no argument.

But where we're confused (those of us who are confused, and we are legion) is what an AGENT means by Commercial Fiction. As in, Agent A says they take Literary or Commercial Fiction, but then says they do not take Genre Fiction, or they don't say what other categories they want, leaving you to wonder if your fantasy novel is commercial or not and if you should waste the time to query said agent.

joshsandersmusic

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thread has been inactive for a while and I really still have no clue. Basicly when querying agents I notice many say something along these lines, " I represent romance, chic-lit, western and commercial fiction." This confuses me because I thought commercial fiction was a term that included a wide variety of genres. In my mind I thought commercial fiction referred to western, romance, ect. Now I'm getting the impression it's a genre in and of itself. So heres my question to get to the point, whould I be wrong if in my query letter I wrote, "My book is a work of commercial fiction." Would the agent be like, "Well yeah, but what kind?"

Status
Not open for further replies.