Agents who love the House of Scribner & classic, traditional lit?

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
I'm told that it's not enough to query agents whose listed genres include the one you're writing in -- it's too broad and means too many things, you need to find an agent who loves the very same kind of literature you're writing. Ie, line up a dozen mystery agents and each of them will have their own ten favorites, their own preferences and peeves -- and maybe only one of them will be a bingo for your work.

Well I know what I like and it's not Dan Brown. I'm all for the old and classic, tradition with a T, leafy-autumn all-American literary -- and in particular where I seem to feel at ease & in kindred with are the best works of the House of Scribner ... Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Wolfe and all those American authors of the 'modern' age up to the postwar Beats. That's the kind of thing I've always been after, and now after many years of work that's what I've got.

So what I'm looking for, and what I need help with from all you Absolute Writers, is any leads on agents whose taste for mainstream literary fiction might happily coincide with mine. Has anyone ever heard of agents who love these authors? Agents who love traditional, big novels? Any agent who would love to see a Bildungsroman like Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise, something with the iron ring of The Sun Also Rises or a huge novel of lush, rich prose like Wolfe's?

I'm all alone, totally unknown, and very much appreciate your help.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm told that it's not enough to query agents whose listed genres include the one you're writing in -- it's too broad and means too many things, you need to find an agent who loves the very same kind of literature you're writing. Ie, line up a dozen mystery agents and each of them will have their own ten favorites, their own preferences and peeves -- and maybe only one of them will be a bingo for your work.
I agree that just knowing genre isn't enough. But I don't think you're ever going to be able to identify an agent's literary tastes as closely as this--and I don't think you need to. Agents don't generally rep literature they don't like, but they don't only rep what they personally love. Identify agents who sell in your genre, and look at their track records to see how well their sales match your work.

Another method: find contemporary novelists whose work is in a similar vein to your own (not just genre-wise, but in style, tone, and/or voice), and research who agents them. Authors often name their agents in their Acknowledgements. Or a websearch on the author's name may turn up the info, on an agent's website or from news articles.

Scribner is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, which has its catalogs online. Many of these catalogs list agent information with the book listings, or at the back.

One last question. You've described what kind of literature you like--but what kind of book have you written? From Hemingway to Wolfe is quite a range of style.

- Victoria

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh, that site is $10 a month.
Now that I'm freelancing again, that adds up.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Kristen King said:
VS, I thought for sure I had seen it referenced several times in Publisher's Lunch, but maybe I just imagined it...
A "who represents" is one of the services available in Publishers Lunch, but only if you subscribe to PL at $20 a month.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
One last question. You've described what kind of literature you like--but what kind of book have you written? From Hemingway to Wolfe is quite a range of style.

Victoria, thanks for the good advice.

In response to your question above, I submit that these three authors were actually similar in their aesthetic and what they were trying to do -- a similarity Fitzgerald once put as (this is wrong but I can't think of the precise quote right now, anyway he was reading Conrad & that had a lot to do with it) attempting to describe the inner emotions of one who was apart from the sensual world, but it was more than that. The big Hemingway cliche is that his sentences are short and plain and to the point but you just have to look at the first paragraph of A FAREWELL TO ARMS to see that this really isn't so. He had a style, but these three writers had a lot in common in their reach and themes and tone. I want to read more books like that so I attempted writing one.