GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Are you a Sagittarius?

capt.sge.ada08.131206183753.photo00.photo.default-317x512.jpg

A photo released 11 December 2006 by the European Space Agency (ESA) showing observations from the Hubble telescope which shed light on the real mass of a star previously believed to be amongst the heaviest known in the Milky Way. The star cluster Pismis 24 lies in the core of the large emission nebula NGC 6357 that extends one degree on the sky in the arm of the Sagittarius constellation.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love this Jerry..teen is a SAg!
The nite before last she drug me outside to see something...I think it was the space shuttle coming by...Atlantis? Preparing to Dock? She knows all this..Anyways it was so cool you could see it w/o the telescope, looked like a fast moving star in the nite skies, on a steady course.

Thanks for sharing...I have a big telescope I need to learn how to use ...also a lot of light pollution in my area...sigh

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My religion is no one's business.

Great photo. The Hubble is one space mission that has been worth the money.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Hee. Hee. I'm a Saggie. According to Philip Sedgwick,, Pluto will be conjunct the Galactic Center at 26:55 Sagittarius on December 29, 2006. Some people think this signifies a chaotic time and some predict the world will end. Philip Sedgwich however, thinks it can be a time of healing and embracing different beliefs.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a December baby [that photo was released on my birthday :)], and I love the picture though I'm not what you'd call a practicing Sagittarian. I once took an astronomy class just for fun; found myself way in over my head with career astronomers (I don't even know how to properly use a telescope), but I've always been fascinated with the sky, and had fun anyway.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Pat~ said:
I'm a December baby [that photo was released on my birthday :)], and I love the picture though I'm not what you'd call a practicing Sagittarian. I once took an astronomy class just for fun; found myself way in over my head with career astronomers (I don't even know how to properly use a telescope), but I've always been fascinated with the sky, and had fun anyway.

I love astronomy but am a bit of an amateur myself. I have a telescope and can find most points of interest though deep sky stuff like galaxies can be tricker. Let's form AW's first official astronomy club for people who have an interest but are in slighty over their heads. Or, the AWFOACFPWHAIBAISOTH.

Do you have a telescope of your own? Have you tried looking for Saturn? It's visible from the northern hemisphere at the moment and fairly easy to find later into the night as a bright yellow spot of light in Leo, to the north east/east from where you are. (Dallas?) Most small telescopes will reveal the planet and its rings - one of the most extraordinary things you can see with the naked eye and highly recommended. :)

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
The constellation of Sagittarius is an interesting study. Look at those peaks and developing peaks within the clouds of gas. They’re similar to a nebula.

Nebulae are the birthplace of stars. They are formed when very diffuse molecular clouds begin to collapse under their own gravity, often due to the influence of a nearby supernova explosion. The cloud collapses and fragments, sometimes forming hundreds of new stars. The newly-formed stars ionize the surrounding gas to produce an emission nebula.

Other nebulae are formed by the death of stars; a star that undergoes the transition to a white dwarf blows off its outer layer to form a planetary nebula. Novae and supernovae can also create nebulae known as nova remnants and supernova remnants, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

607px-Eagle_nebula_pillars.jpg

Hubble telescope image known as pillars of creation, where stars are forming in the Eagle Nebula.

549px-NGC6543.jpg

The Cat's Eye Nebula, a planetary nebula formed by the death of a star with about the same mass as the sun.

603px-Crab_Nebula.jpg

The Crab Nebula, the shattered remnants of a star which exploded as a supernova almost 1000 years ago.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jerry # 11 is just breathtaking....so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing this.:Hug2:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've inspired me to get my telescope and manual out...It's a tricky one and moves on its on and all.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sag here, close to the cusp tho. BUt those are some stunning photographs..may be time to change my wall paper.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
clock_work9 said:
I love astronomy but am a bit of an amateur myself. I have a telescope and can find most points of interest though deep sky stuff like galaxies can be tricker. Let's form AW's first official astronomy club for people who have an interest but are in slighty over their heads. Or, the AWFOACFPWHAIBAISOTH.

Do you have a telescope of your own? Have you tried looking for Saturn? It's visible from the northern hemisphere at the moment and fairly easy to find later into the night as a bright yellow spot of light in Leo, to the north east/east from where you are. (Dallas?) Most small telescopes will reveal the planet and its rings - one of the most extraordinary things you can see with the naked eye and highly recommended. :)

We have a telescope, but, sadly, no instruction manual. It was left out of the package. So it's been a bit hit or miss what we've been able to see.
Yes, we live in the Dallas area, so will have to try to find Saturn one of these clear nights!

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Well, if you ever need any help, let me know. Looks like you, kimmi and I are the only astronomy club members. :D

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Settee?

Hey Chris,
I remember years ago when my neighbor hooked me up with Seetee(spelled wrong)
He lets them use my, his computer wavelengths, something to that effect to signal space...
Well if millions are doing this and your computer is the first to receive contact from space then you get millions of dollars...
Oh daggone, I'm going to have to go look up the institutes name, less people think I'm drinking here.
I'll be back Chris.
PS I do know Jupiter is holding court right now as the brightest star like object~ teen showed me.

Last edited:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
kimmi 57 said:
Hey Chris,
I remember years ago when my neighbor hooked me up with Seetee(spelled wrong)
He lets them use my, his computer wavelengths, something to that effect to signal space...
Well if millions are doing this and your computer is the first to receive contact from space then you get millions of dollars...
Oh daggone, I'm going to have to go look up the institutes name, less people think I'm drinking here.
I'll be back Chris.
PS I do know Jupiter is holding court right now as the brightest star like object~ teen showed me.

It's OK, kimmi, I know what you mean. You're talking about the Seti@home project, right? It's like a screensaver that you leave running when you're not using your computer. It analyses signals received from the Arecibo observatory for radio transmissions which could indicate intelligent life beyond the solar system. I had it running for a while but like the StarDust program I found it hard to stay motivated!

Yeah, Jupiter's up at the moment (albeit very low in the sky at dusk) along with Venus, Saturn and Mercury (a bit too close to the sun to see right now though). Saturn's probably your best bet for studying something, it's high in the sky for most of the night. But the McNaught comet is the best thing to see at the moment. It's visible with the naked eye, a beautiful point of light with a short tail. There's only a couple more days of being able to see it though before it's gone forever so if you get the chance look to the south-east at dawn or the south-west at dusk. You need a very good, unobstructed view of the horizon because the comet is so damn low in the sky.

Last edited:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I am a Sagittarius also---and the photo was released on my birthday as well.... :) Fascinating stuff too.

Pat my b-day is also Dec. 11th :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rain here for the next three days.
On the 15 and 17th, 1/2 hour before sunrise the moon will pass Jupiter and Mars, its waning now... a good see.