quick question on space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual_Space

Registered
Reaction score
If a human body was exposed to the cold of outer space would it still decompose, or would it be impossible for bacteria to survive?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you mean a body not in a space suit? Actually, the temperature of the body would depend on how much radiation it receives (a nearby sun for example); however, an exposed body would basically be freeze-dried in the vacuum of space. I believe this is right but someone else here might be more knowledgeable on the subject.

alices

Banned
Reaction score
Would that be before or after you exploded due to the bodies internal pressure vs. a vacuum?

Virtual_Space

Registered
Reaction score
lol I guess I need to work on it. the bodies are actually inside a derelict ship, some still in suits. I need to work on explaining things more lol.

Last edited:

alices

Banned
Reaction score
Unless the suit is still pressurized, the results would be the same. – Yucky mess! LOL

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know for sure about what would happen to a corpse in space but if I understand the process right it sounds like it would go through basically the same thing as commercial freeze drying. The item to be FD is frozen solid and placed in a vacuum chamber, the air is pumped out which slowly causes the water in the item to evaporate. Also to aid this it is placed on a small heater inside the chamber that occassionally warms the item slightly, which would also happen to a body which is slowly tumbling around in sunlight at zero G.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
inside a ship, they'd be shaded from solar radiation, which means they'd be popsicles.

Wouldn't they be corpsicles? :D

The word's not original to me, I'm sure I heard it somewhere before.

Status
Not open for further replies.